dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xdbmx
join:2013-08-10

xdbmx

[Phone] RCN bundled phone: how is the quality and pricing in Boston?

I currently subscribe to an RCN internet and cable TV package (25Mb/2Mb, Basic + Signature Cable Service), however I still have old-time copper telephone line service because it still works during a power failure. Or at least, I had copper service until today, when Verizon powered down the copper phone lines in my neighborhood (Lexington, MA) and is forcing me to either sign up for FiOS or lose phone service. If I am going to have power failure phone service taken away anyway, I may want to switch to RCN's phone service. However, the "https://my.rcn.com/" web site doesn't offer any pricing information for adding phone service, and the main web site only gives pricing on bundles for new customers.

Does anybody have any experience on how much it would cost to add a phone line to my existing service? My current package from RCN is rather expensive despite being fairly bare-bones. How is their phone reliability?

(Yes, I know: 1.800.RING.RCN. But like I said - phone line is dead today. Quite awkward actually.)

For what it's worth: Encoded Mac: b307450177f344952c7bafa11b3e438eaad21c50
peteboston
join:1999-11-10
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

No way to find out what they'll offer you without calling, sometimes you'd be surprised that bundles are more cost effective than a la carte. As far as reliability, it will be the same as your cable modem service. My old POTS line never went down, but I generally have at least one or two outages per week when I am using the phone (sometimes only a few mins, other times much longer) since moving to RCN Digital Phone service. It's not a phone-specific problem, but it is directly impacted by any outages / packet loss on RCN's network. It works a lot better than a non-Cable VoIP service, but don't expect it to be anywhere near as reliable as POTS, which never had an outage for me.
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to xdbmx

to xdbmx
It's been mostly okay here, except for Sandy-like events. The days of always-on POTS service are gone. When their UPS batteries die, which seems to take about 11 hours here, everything dies. To make matters worse, the cell carriers aren't one damn bit better. No one wants to pay for installing/maintaining/operating the generators necessary to keep their systems up during extended outages.

It costs me about $40/mo for all domestic calling when you include all the mandatory "fees" (jeez, I hate that term). It's a ripoff, frankly, but VZ isn't any better.

I've had no issues with call quality or unexplained bizarre behavior.
xdbmx

xdbmx to peteboston

to peteboston
I've had RCN internet since 2000, and reliability has been fine for most of that time other than during power failures of course. However, in the past couple months I have been seeing slowdowns and dropouts. Is the phone service having the same problem?

(As for my POTS, it worked though many extended power failures here in Lexington including the week-long power outage from the October Blizzard, but the quality has gradually degraded. A month ago I called Verizon about static on the line, they said they would fix it, but when the tech showed up, he refused to fix the line and demanded that I switch to FiOS right then and there. When I declined to switch, I was told by his manager over speakerphone that Verizon would never again provide any customer service to me because they are refusing to maintain their copper lines. Nevertheless the static cleared up and the line seemed to continue working. That was about a month ago. Suddenly today - the line is powered down.)
fromNewton
join:2005-08-07
Denver, CO

fromNewton to xdbmx

to xdbmx
I've had RCN cable/phone/internet since 2003, and it's all been good here in West Newton (MA). Originally, phone service would work in a power outage. That is no longer the case. Even an old phone, not requiring external power of course, is dead in any brief power outage. Otherwise, phone service is very reliable.

RCN has been jacking up prices. A year ago, my package was $117/mo with all taxes/fees. This month, the same package is $138.50. They are irritating their best customers with the increasing fees. When I called about it, they provided no relief. Furthermore, they won't put clear pricing for existing customers on the website. Hey, it's 2014, they should "get it" by now. At some point soon, I'll probably switch.

My package: 25Mb/2Mb, Basic + Signature Cable Service+showtime/TMC, modem, one box, unlimited phone.

Keep us posted on how you make out, and good luck!

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to xdbmx

to xdbmx
said by xdbmx:

(Yes, I know: 1.800.RING.RCN. But like I said - phone line is dead today. Quite awkward actually.)

I'm not from Boston, but perhaps I can help. Generally they price it at about $20, but their are hidden surcharges in the fees. The largest is an $8.50 Subscriber Line Charge, which is an optional charge for RCN (basically it's a way to jack up the price below the line).

The battery in the telephony modem gives you about 4 hours of service, which is probably less than you get out of your cell phone.

It probably isn't worth it. Change your cell plan to one that gives you unlimited minutes, and purchase a bluetooth gateway (like one from XLINK) for $40 + $10 shipping. That way when you are home, you recharge your cell phone near the gateway, and your cell phones will ring throughout your house phones.

Most models will work with up to three different cell lines. If you want the possibility of adding a landline or RCN line in the future the gateway will cost you more than $40.

»www.cnet.com/products/xt ··· gateway/
xdbmx

xdbmx to fromNewton

to fromNewton
Interesting - you're only paying $2 more than I am for substantially more product. I'm guessing that's not a teaser rate if you've been with RCN that long. Maybe they just charge higher prices in Lexington than West Newton?

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to fromNewton

to fromNewton
said by fromNewton:

IThis month, the same package is $138.50. They are irritating their best customers with the increasing fees. When I called about it, they provided no relief. Furthermore, they won't put clear pricing for existing customers on the website. Hey, it's 2014, they should "get it" by now. At some point soon, I'll probably switch.

Do you have TiVo for that price?

This practice of having ridiculously high "retail rates" where you are always on a "promotional rate" with vague rules seems to be endemic of the industry (not just RCN).
fromNewton
join:2005-08-07
Denver, CO

fromNewton

No TiVo.
xdbmx

xdbmx

I don't have a TIVO either - or even an HD converter, since my television is just standard-def.
xdbmx

xdbmx

Just heard back from RCN via email that adding phone service would add roughly 45$/month:
We would be happy to bundle your package with phone/cable and internet. Your
new monthly price would be Chrg Mth 159.43 W/Est Tax 180.39.

We appreicate [sic.] your 13 years of business!
Quite a dreadful price for such bare-bones offering (SD not HD, no premium channels, mediocre download & upload speed, no TIVO, no power failure resilience). Strangely much higher than fromNewton's also.