spc
Search similar:

uniqs
atom0s
join:2014-04-01

atom0s

[Other] Help Getting Charter In My Area

Hello everyone,

I am looking for help on how I should go about pestering Charter into bringing their services to my area. Before I am asked, here is a little background of my situation.

Charter is here, just not.. here..
Charter runs cables in this area (Northern Nevada) up to a certain point. Which is about 15-20minutes down the road from me, if that. I have been to the nearest local office to request any and all methods I can do to start annoying Charter on a daily basis to hopefully show them my area is worth bringing their services to, however the local office representatives here seem to be clueless to who they work for.

There is about 600-1000 homes (and growing) in my area between my estate area, as well as the other just up the hill near me, as well as over the hill down near the lake. That is a a lot of people to consider especially when there is nearly no alternatives for internet here.

My internet is currently Charter.. sort of..
At the moment, the ONLY unlimited bandwidth provider in my area is a Charter reseller working out of his own house and small building. Sadly though, this person over chargers for his service while highly limiting the speeds. The service overall is terrible, the line is nearly always having issues or down. The setup is so "ghetto" (sorry, but for the lack of a better word is suites this well).. My internet is connected via a series of radio antenna's back to his "base" down the road where the lines are ran to.

I pay nearly double what Charter costs for a fraction of the speed.
(~$55 a month for 150kb/s down)

And this is not to account for the constant downtime, constant power issues with their towers, constant bandwidth issues due to how he has configured everything.

I am at my witts end to have decent and unlimited internet.

I work from home, I am a gamer, and I enjoy surfing the web, watching movies, etc. The only options for other internet here are satellite. All of which have horrible rates, monthly caps, and similar prices.

Please help me get figure out how to get Charter to come to my area just down the road!
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

said by atom0s:

Charter runs cables in this area (Northern Nevada) up to a certain point. Which is about 15-20minutes down the road from me

I take it that means you are at least 15-20 miles away from their next nearest area that they service ?

If so, unless you go door to door, and have everyone sign a form saying they will buy services from Charter... you are going to have to wait, or, cover the cost of a that distance which would be quite expensive, more than 6 figures I bet.
said by atom0s:

Charter reseller working out of his own house and small building

Huh, that is odd... I thought Charter's TOS prevented that sort of thing from going on...

While not the answer you want, it might be cheaper/faster to just move.
atom0s
join:2014-04-01

atom0s

said by Zappa2000:

I take it that means you are at least 15-20 miles away from their next nearest area that they service ?

If so, unless you go door to door, and have everyone sign a form saying they will buy services from Charter... you are going to have to wait, or, cover the cost of a that distance which would be quite expensive, more than 6 figures I bet.

If it came to that, there is still a point where I would need to contact someone with that petition, which is what I am looking for.
said by Zappa2000:

Huh, that is odd... I thought Charter's TOS prevented that sort of thing from going on...

While not the answer you want, it might be cheaper/faster to just move.

I would assume he has permission to do what he does since he advertises it all over this area and in the local "paper" thing. So my guess is Charter knows about it. As far as I know, the base of his operations is in his "business" hut thing. (It's not really that big of a place so I'm not sure what to call it lol..)

Moving is not an option either.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to atom0s

to atom0s
Where did you read that CHARTER provided unlimited internet?
said by atom0s:

I am at my witts end to have decent and unlimited internet.

I work from home, I am a gamer, and I enjoy surfing the web, watching movies, etc. The only options for other internet here are satellite. All of which have horrible rates, monthly caps, and similar prices.

Please help me get figure out how to get Charter to come to my area just down the road!

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to atom0s

to atom0s
said by atom0s:

If it came to that, there is still a point where I would need to contact someone with that petition, which is what I am looking for.

Contact your municipality.

Also consider, no matter what interest you may be able to drum up, Charter may not be willing to expand to your area. I would suggest working with someone in your local government to explore a number of means of broadband internet.