All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcn9801
join:2014-03-31

jcn9801

[H/W] CHS435HDC shows listed as recordedd; playback returns to live TV

Two identical Cisco STB DVRs since Nov 2013 (FIOS Ultimate Triple Play bundle)
One box has WD-AVP 1TB expander (LR435); other does not (MB435).

PLEASE, DO NOT YET dismiss this as "you should be on the FIOS Forum..."
Hear me out...

Since installation I have 8-10 instances of the above problem. All on SD programs.

I got NOWHERE on the FIOS support site here in. Ran their STB OSD diagnostics. Everything GREEN. To get FIOS to pursue further as a possible "software problem" I have to turn one or both DVRs (and lose the other 200+ programs on each not yet watched or reviewed!) Wait until the NextGen boxes with 6+ channel recording capability! YIKES! Will they EVER be empty enough to turn in?

Hey, FIOS why not offer a Cloud based service to re-download recordings when the H/W has to be turned in -- no "marriage issue" on faulty hardware replacement, huh? Or get rid of the DVRs all together - put everything in the cloud (sorry Cisco). COMCAST in particular is talking out of both sides of its many mouths on this issue: »www.theverge.com/2013/7/ ··· able-and

What if the "hardware problem" is that massive Fiber to Digital converter hanging on the wall downstairs? How can that be ruled out (ad hoc) and the policy ONLY require turning in the STB "hardware"?

Yep, that is their investigation going forward "policy". Nice workload reduction one if you ask me. Every turned in box will be OSD'd -- found not to have a problem -- have its HDD erased and be put on the next day's installation truck outbound! I'll get a replacement box, which eventually will exhibit the same problem and nothing will move forward again until that box is turned in!

So now I am appealing to Cisco and all users of these boxes across all cable / satellite providers: Have any of you encountered this problem, or have a solution, or "proof" that is it NOT a hardware problem?

I need hard data from the wild since nothing more will come from policy locked-down FIOS.

Happens most often (most recently on 3/30 10 pm and 3/31 3:00 am) on the MB435 which was 70% full at the time. Earlier occurrences on 3/5 (twice) and 2/20/14 (twice). And a few times on the LR435. Affects both 30 minute and 60 minute programs. No data on HD occurrences since I use space saving rather than higher quality.

I suspect a subtle timing, loading, disk fragment issue in the OS. There is a 4-5 sec wait for playback, then a sub-second blip of an image and then back to Live TV. Maybe one time a "dead" playback program did a Lazarus later on; cannot be 100% sure.

What about a voltage dip in the neighborhood as a cause? Is this possible (to kill a program's finalization but not take the box itself down necessitating a reboot?) But then there is that issue of why two back-to-back 30 minute programs showing this problem? Happened twice on MB435.

On one or two occasions the same date, time, channel program has recorded on one of the boxes and played back, but no playback on the other one (accidental overlap).

Does CISCO have a mock-up lab where they "load test" their boxes to look for issues like this? FIOS is like Sgt Schultz wrt info or data. Nice to see and hear nothing regarding software issues. Ever. I think if it were truly the STB hardware a lot more serious stuff would be going on, for a LOT of users. And affects both boxes? What are the odds? NCAA bracket lotto... no winners?

Thanks in advance for any insights...

---JCN
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

May have to burst your bubble OP, but most of the expertise here is with Cisco's networking products rather than
home electronics / Linksys products.

Searching on Cisco.com itself, I can't find the CHS 435 listed. Funnily enough, Fios has the PDF install guide
for this thing; what doesn't give me the warm fuzzies is no standard section referring to warranty / technical
support.

Another place I was going to suggest was the supportforums.cisco.com, but the only thread I can find referencing
the CHS 435 is this one.

Off the top of my head :
- can you get another CHS435 from Fios to test if this problem repeats on a 3rd box?

- unless you have specialized knowledge of electronics and have access to the underlying OS, I don't think
troubleshooting a "hardware issue" is a possibility at this time.

- to rule out fiber to digital converter will similarly need specilized knowledge; at a guess basic cable testing
and validation.

- you MAY be able to contact Cisco directly and see if they have any support for this device? Just make sure you
have the device serial#, but I don't get the warm fuzzies on that option one personally, given that Cisco.com
doesn't list this make / model anywhere.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

jcn98011
@myvzw.com

jcn98011

Anon

Thanks for data. I get no love fr FIOS. Every problem always has scripted response that starts w unplugging the power . At first this site appeared different but then return box stone wall to get S/W folks involved.. nice mgmt "stopper"....LOL. Rare events are bane to both H/W and S/W people. I asked about FREE 3rd box for 90 days. No interest. Nothing worth investigating if only 1 in a 1000. Guess I will live w it. Thx anyway. Motorola supp to be Fios partner for 6 program upcoming DVR. God help us. Comcast X1 rollout did not go that well either, ONLY 4 program recoding..... Couldn't even get them here in No. VA. Maybe nobody has a load testing lab set up. Users are the load testers! Regards, JCN....