amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

middle of nowhere

Yep.

VZW had LTE in the literal middle of nowhere. The only thing that sucks right now is interoperability. Nobody does LTE roaming. AT&T is supposed to allow for some of it, with some smaller carriers, but that's literally the only thing I've heard of. Kind of lame, considering "3G" roamed easily with compatible carriers (Sprint/Verizon, for example)

Honestly, I don't understand why there isn't more of a focus to make the whole system more unified. GSM, while I don't much care for its signal characteristics here (spotty places, dropped calls while sitting still with full bars, total lack of coverage in some areas.... I could go on), I do like the idea of something being more standardized.

Maybe someday it'll happen.

Until then, color me impressed with Verizon's services in massive swaths of territory where I would never have expected LTE.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020

I really wanted to like T Mobile, but it's only EDGE for me. EDGE means you better be on Wifi if you want to use data. It's too slow to even load weather apps. I suppose I'll need to move to the "big city" if I want T Mobile. Or, suck it up and get VZW, who has superb 700mhz LTE here in the sticks...

SrsBsns
join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

SrsBsns to amungus

to amungus
said by amungus:

Yep.

VZW had LTE in the literal middle of nowhere. The only thing that sucks right now is interoperability. Nobody does LTE roaming. AT&T is supposed to allow for some of it, with some smaller carriers, but that's literally the only thing I've heard of. Kind of lame, considering "3G" roamed easily with compatible carriers (Sprint/Verizon, for example)

Honestly, I don't understand why there isn't more of a focus to make the whole system more unified. GSM, while I don't much care for its signal characteristics here (spotty places, dropped calls while sitting still with full bars, total lack of coverage in some areas.... I could go on), I do like the idea of something being more standardized.

Maybe someday it'll happen.

Until then, color me impressed with Verizon's services in massive swaths of territory where I would never have expected LTE.

LTE roaming is incoming via Sprint and T-Mobile with rural carriers to bolster coverage.

»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 14-03-26

Sprint has had the agreements in place since last year

»www.fiercewireless.com/t ··· 13-09-27

Competition is a good thing (sorry for all the Fierce links)
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to scott2020

to scott2020
I'm currently testing T-Mo so I can save $$ and switch from Verizon. Yes, EDGE is slow but it's not that bad.

I was able to use Waze, Google Maps, and get e-mail while on Edge. It was a little laggy but it got the job done.

With their latest announcement of getting 50% of the 2G areas to 4G (be it HSPA+ or LTE_ I think better days are ahead.

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl to scott2020

Anon

to scott2020
Where in mo are you located?
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to SrsBsns

Premium Member

to SrsBsns
Thanks for the links - I did not know Sprint had LTE agreements with T-Mobile.

Competition is indeed a good thing!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
LTEiRA is sort of roaming... key word sort of, since they basically built a Verizon network to Verizon's specs...