uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Cleaning dark colored laminate floors

I give up... I really do... I've Googled but nothing seems definite.

I've tried laminate floor cleaner - leaves a streaky mess
I've tried a mop with plain water - leaves a streaky mess
I've tried Swiffer with laminate floor cleaner - leaves a streaky mess
I've tried disinfectant wipes - leaves a streaky mess
I've tried rubbing alcohol - leaves a streaky mess

How am I supposed to clean laminate floors so they shine, look good, and look clean?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
As you found out almost any kind of cleaner is going to leave some type of residue and look streaky when you finish. Especially on the dark floor this is very visible. The best thing to do is clean the floor well with whatever kind of cleaner you like the best. After it's dry you can then buff off the residue with either a power buffer or in most cases just a dust mop.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to fartness
Go to www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com and ask there,there are experts in hardwood flooring who can answer your question than here,you will have to register to ask your question...
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to fartness
whatever is on there will need a few cleanings to get off, that's all..

enon

@ipvanish.com
reply to fartness
1 part vinegar with 1 part hot water.

Chuck22
Premium
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:5
reply to fartness
Son-in-law uses Windex on his Pergo floor (in kitchen and entry hall). Never saw any streakiness there.
--
amicitia sine fraude
(friendship without deceit)

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to fartness
Go to HD and pick up some Bruce Hardwood and Laminate floor cleaner. No streaks and clean floors.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to fartness
If you have hard water, you cannot just let the floor dry. You're going to have to wipe it dry somehow to avoid "streaks". You might they Murphy's Oil Soap as a cleaner. But no matter what you use, if you mix it with water, you'll have to make the effort to dry it.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
+1.

Willy
Premium
join:2000-09-24
USA
reply to fartness
Ever try a steam unit like Shark?
I think you need to use caution using a steam mop on a laminate floor but it does a good job.
At least it's the only thing that worked for me.

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to fartness
Pergo recommends water with a little ammonia. Works well for me.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
As stated already - Get on your hands and knees, use vinegar and water and then buff the floor dry - do small areas than can be buffed dry before the wood air drys. Then dry mop in the future. If a spill needs cleaning make sure to buff dry after cleaning.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to fartness
I already posted your solution. Get Bruce Wood and Laminate Floor Cleaner. If that doesn't do it you have damaged the laminate surface with all the voodoo methods. My floor company said never, never use a steam mop on laminate. I inquired when my daughter gave us a steam mop for Christmas. They should know.