All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kidterra
join:2010-07-03

kidterra

Recommendations for DSL modem

Well, as it says on the tin, I'm looking for recommendations for DSL modems, preferably with wireless routers built-in, but I can bridge if need be. The kink in this is that I want to know what brands/models have a reputation for keeping sync even in not-so-great conditions, as I have a marginal line. I have a 2Wire 2701, which I've been told has a reputation for poor reliability on marginal lines or while using wi-fi...which I'm doing both.

I'm looking for someone to confirm/deny on those allegations but also, if you know a good model for this that is $100 or under in the US, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink

I highly recommend bridging and separating your router from your modem.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to kidterra

Premium Member

to kidterra
For simple "legacy DSL" (not uverse), many people sing praises of the netopia/motorola 3347. Personally, I don't like the interface. I prefer a Cisco (8xx series) -- I'm using a 1720 + WIC-1ADSL... slow, but slow's the line

Stay away from the 2210's -- they overheat.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to kidterra

MVM

to kidterra
Can't help on the modem selection my CLEC uses Zyxel, and I use a dedicated access point. When I had Verizon/FairPoint used a Netopia 3346, very happy with it for many years. It does not have Wi-Fi,the 3347 does but it predates 802.11n and I don't think it even supports WPA2.

Since your line is marginal have you done all you can to make sure once the signal gets to your residence it is not degraded?

1) Install a whole house POTS/DSL splitter. Splitter does a better job isolating DSL from voice and it eliminates the need for inline filters.

2) Check inside wiring. Disconnect inside wiring from NID and with all phone hung up check resistance from each wire to all others and from each to ground. Should be infinite (many meg ohms. This is especially important if your house is wired for two phone lines.

3) If your house is old check to see that you have a modern NID network interface device (NID) rather then an old style carbon block protector. They tend to be noisy. If you don't have a NID try to get one installed, but it may be a challenge.

/tom

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to kidterra

Premium Member

to kidterra
I had a Zyxel 600 series that worked great for 9 years. After it died, I replaced it with a SpeedStream 5100 (5-LED version.)

Both worked flawlessly. I used them both in bridge mode with a separate router.

I chose the SpeedStream as it was supposed to have a good signal/noise ratio at the time.

It would help if you said what DSL service you have and the speed.
kidterra

kidterra

said by Bink:

I highly recommend bridging and separating your router from your modem.

I'll give that a shot for a while, but I'll still be using my 2Wire as the modem. I'm sure it'll still go down from time to time, but any improvement is good.
said by cramer:

For simple "legacy DSL" (not uverse)

Correct. I'm actually wondering, I've analyzed the diagnostics a fair bit (maybe too much) and at one point I noticed it used a different protocol. t1.413 instead of G.DMT Annex A. Whether coincidence or something else, the line didn't drop at all during this period. Wiki tells me it's a slower speed, but not slow enough to be an issue...is there some way I can have it do this on purpose, for further testing? Or should I chalk it up to coincidence and look to improve other factors?
said by tschmidt:

Since your line is marginal have you done all you can to make sure once the signal gets to your residence it is not degraded?

The house is old-ish, but I'm pretty sure we have a modern NID. We only have one jack hooked up, and it was done by a telco agent. We don't have a splitter, but the cost is likely not worth the gain considering the single jack. We don't use the voice often if ever, though there is a phone hooked up.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

I don't think the 2701 has any setting for the DSL protocol to use. I can set it on my Cisco (and hacked NVG510)
kidterra

kidterra

said by shdesigns:

It would help if you said what DSL service you have and the speed.

AT&T Midwest, 3Mbps package
said by cramer:

I don't think the 2701 has any setting for the DSL protocol to use.

Good to know. Even if I could, would it make a particular sync any more durable, really?

shdesigns