ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42 to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy

Re: $160 or $260?

said by Mr Guy :

I'm not seeing the issue.

If you aren't under contract and on Edge (either when you buy the phone, or after you have paid off the phone), Verizon charges you $40/month for a smartphone.

This is a big disincentive for people that bring their own unlocked device... today. And people that have a phone that is out of contract... same problem. You don't have to wait until 2016 to experience the effect of their oversight in policy.

At least AT&T figured that out.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

said by ptb42:

If you aren't under contract and on Edge (either when you buy the phone, or after you have paid off the phone), Verizon charges you $40/month for a smartphone.

Then why pay the phone off early or pay full price all upfront? It's not like Verizon charges you a service fee or interest for being on Edge. Edge is obviously for people that don't have $650 upfront for an iPhone.

This is a big disincentive for people that bring their own unlocked device... today. And people that have a phone that is out of contract... same problem. You don't have to wait until 2016 to experience the effect of their oversight in policy.

At least AT&T figured that out.

Considering how many changes Verizon has made in the last couple of months how do you know they won't change this policy in the near future?

People have this notion that Verizon pricing policies are static. If they were you'd be paying $250 a GB like it cost 7-8 years ago.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42

said by Mr Guy :

Then why pay the phone off early or pay full price all upfront?

A few reasons why you might not be on-contract, and not on Edge:

* You bought a used phone
* You have a hand-me-down phone from family or friend (and not on their plan)
* You were on-contract, but the 24 months have elapsed and you didn't buy a new phone.

I'm sure you could probably think of a few more. My point is that not everyone buys new phones. And I'm thankful for that, as there is a market for mine, even 2 years after they were released.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

I bought used phones for the wife and I. Each of us got an AT&T S4 for $315. Brought in two of my other family members. Combine that with my 25% discount. Our service will be about $41 a month per phone. This is a great deal!