Search similar:

uniqs

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Rogers Personal Info Collection

Thought I'd start an informative thread regarding Rogers Personal Info Collection. Over the years I've been asked for Name, Address, Birthdate and SIN number. All regarding an account opening or account verification over the phone.

Just curious what personal info Rogers is legally allowed to collect or retain and what they require the info for. Under what circumstances is Rogers allowed to request personal info in relation to Cable TV, Internet or Home Phone accounts?

Also, how does one require Rogers to provide us with all the personal info they have on file so we can verify it's accuracy.

Can we require Rogers to delete any personal info they have that we do not want them to retain?

What personal info have YOU been asked for by Rogers? Have you ever DECLINED to give certain personal info to Rogers and what, if any, was their response? Have you ever been denied an account or service because you refused to supply certain personal info?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

In regards to opening an account you need to provide them with a DOB and two credit references. Generally they will accept a combination of driver's license, SIN, credit card, birth certificate, provincial ID cards, passport, bank account info etc. The info is used to run a credit evaluation and is also retained for collection activity purposes. The only time Rogers is not allowed to ask for any of this information is when you're requesting basic analogue cable service ONLY.

In terms of verifying your identity over the phone for an existing account, they shouldn't be asking you for anything more than your DOB and postal code. If you've setup a PIN number for your account, that should be the only thing they request from you.

They're allowed to legally collect and retain any of that information you provide them. They are also allowed to deny you service if you refuse to provide that information unless you are requesting basic analogue tv service.

As for asking them to provide you with a copy of the information they have on file or asking them to delete it, you're better off contacting their privacy department for an official response.
LittleBrutus
join:2004-08-21
Nepean, ON

LittleBrutus

I'm not sure they can demand/refuse service for not providing your SIN. I believe the only folks you have to provide that to (other than RevCan) is your bank and your employer.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by LittleBrutus:

I'm not sure they can demand/refuse service for not providing your SIN. I believe the only folks you have to provide that to (other than RevCan) is your bank and your employer.

That is correct, but they can deny you service if you cannot or refuse to provide them with other forms of credit references.

Beermage
@rogers.com

Beermage to elitefx

Anon

to elitefx
»www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· y-Policy

You can contact them via email and ask them about their Privacy Policy.

privacy@rci.rogers.com
LittleBrutus
join:2004-08-21
Nepean, ON

LittleBrutus to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

That is correct, but they can deny you service if you cannot or refuse to provide them with other forms of credit references.

Agreed. Was only referring to SIN. I think too many places ask for a SIN, when really they should not.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by LittleBrutus:

I think too many places ask for a SIN, when really they should not.

I actually thought it was illegal for them to do so, but this Service Canada site says otherwise. They also give an explanation of when, and when not, to give your SIN. In particular they suggest you question why it is being asked for.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

In terms of verifying your identity over the phone for an existing account, they shouldn't be asking you for anything more than your DOB and postal code.

I have always wondered about this - if your phone number is listed then your postal code is in the public domain. And with stuff like Facebook it is generally easy to find someone's DOB. So how good are those facts in veryifying your identity?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by wayner92:

said by yyzlhr:

In terms of verifying your identity over the phone for an existing account, they shouldn't be asking you for anything more than your DOB and postal code.

I have always wondered about this - if your phone number is listed then your postal code is in the public domain. And with stuff like Facebook it is generally easy to find someone's DOB. So how good are those facts in veryifying your identity?

I suppose that could happen. Your address can be unlisted in the phone book at no charge. Also I'm assuming only your friends would be able to see personal info like your DOB on your facebook.

Also if anyone who went through such great lengths wouldn't be able to accomplish much that would benefit them. Those who are really concerned should have a PIN number placed on their account.
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3

Provide your SIN

To your employer
For income tax purposes
To financial institutions where you have interest-bearing accounts
To apply for and receive federal government benefits, for example Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Quebec Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, Canada Student Loans, or Canada child tax benefit
To set up a Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) or a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
To apply for and receive other benefits, for example, social assistance benefits, veterans' benefits, workers compensation benefits, and child-support payments

Do not provide your SIN

Although this practice is strongly discouraged, it is not illegal for private-sector organizations to ask you to provide your SIN.

You do not have to provide your SIN when:

proving your identity
completing a job application
completing an application to rent a property
completing a credit-card application or banking transactions (line of credit, loan)
writing a will
applying to a university or college
applying to a university or college

When someone asks for your SIN

If your SIN is not required by law, ask why it is being requested, how it will be used, and with whom it will be shared and offer a different proof of identity.

If the organization refuses to provide the product or service unless you provide your SIN, ask to speak to the person in charge. Many organizations do not know about the appropriate uses of the SIN. Once they understand, they may willingly change their practices. If you are not satisfied with the organization's response, you may formally complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (1 800 282 1376).
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

You provide your SIN or credit card to Rogers because you are asking for credit from them. They will run a credit check on you to determine your maximum allowable balance. They will also report on your credit the same as VISA or Mastercard would.

I'm not sure what came of it, but Rogers applied to get similar legal abilities as any Canadian bank. I believe this gave them the ability to finance customers. (SHM has this as an option due to potential costs of building an alarm system).

You need to remember, Rogers WILL be listed on your credit report. (This is primarily for Rogers cellular customers, but it's not unheard of for cable customers.)

You are asking to run a tab for 30 days, which could exceed $1000.
Its not intended to screw you over, but instead to prevent fraud of people ordering cable under a fake name, racking up a massive bill and then taking off.
If you want to know more, or want you SIN number removed from their system, get a copy of your credit report. Call the number beside The creditor "Rogers" however removing this will likely come with the option to cancel your cellphone or switch to pay as you go.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to hosedagain3

to hosedagain3
Just to be clear Rogers does not require a SIN. It's just one of the many credit references they accept. Some customers who don't have any other credit references aside from a SIN might perceive it as a requirement simply because they will be denied service if they are unwilling to provide that one credit reference that they actually possess.