Search similar:

uniqs

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

2 edits

TRU

Gaming Keyboard Suggestions

If you had the choice to decide on a gaming keyboard, which would you pick?

I have narrowed my search down to 3 choices:

(1) Steelseries Apex
(2) Corsair K50/70(Not quite sure which version is best suitable for my needs)
(3) Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

All 3 are awesome keyboards. I've been asking around for the last week or so about what other PC users & gamers are using personally. Also, which keyboard(s) they would likely prefer or would use themselves. I've received many responses back and the general word is that all 3 of these keyboards are relatively good choices. As for the votes, they were all pretty even across the board. The Corsair K70 had edged out 1 extra vote above the other options in the list. But it's all fairly even.

I'm not quite sold on the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard. It's green. And green isn't part of the color scheme of my PC(Blue/White/Black). Now, it's not a huge deal or deal breaker necessarily but it is something I've made a note of. Also I happen to be in minority it seems when it comes to using and enjoying Razer Synapse 2.0. I like Synapse 2.0 and I've spent quite a bit of time setting up and personalizing my Razer devices to my satisfaction. My settings have all been saved onto the Razer cloud service. So the BlackWidow Ultimate has that going FOR IT. The bright green color lighting(no alternative color schemes to Razers green products) though really takes points away from this keyboard.

TL, DR Alert : I've learned that if you spend some quality time using Razer Synapse 2.0 and not rushing through the process just to get it done then it can actually be pretty cool. Because I use a Razer Naga mouse, I have been able to set all of these extremely helpful key binds for my both keyboard(Razer Lycosa) and the Naga mouse(has 12 buttons on 1 side). My Naga has bindings that change from active application to application. For example, when I am using Google Chrome my Naga mouse instantly adjusts my bindings to my Chrome profile. I now have 12 buttons to use which can make browsing, going forward/back, refreshing, new window, new tabs, etc etc. just to name a few. And amazingly enough, this is all easily possible from just my right thumb alone!

Razer Synapse 2.0 allows this to be possible. And that was simply an example of my Razer Naga bindings with only 1 application: Google Chrome. I have set bindings for every game I have on my system, bindings for MS Word(Word processing), bindings for quick application launching and access, etc. And this is just with my mouse. The bindings I have set up on my Razer Lycosa keyboard are just as effective and numerous as my Naga set up. Both devices connected to Synapse 2.0. Any and all key/button bindings on Razer devices I'll ever use now and throughout my computing life are all easily accessible from my Synapse 2.0 account and all those saved settings are saved to the cloud. This means, any Razer device I'll ever use will instantly have all my saved bindings, I just need to sign in to my account and my bindings will instantly load to these devices. This has come in handy quite a few times already and has literally made the time needed to setup a new Razer mouse or keyboard on any of my systems practically instantaneous.

So, long story short... Razer Synapse 2.0 is a big deal to me. BUT Razer products in general, not so much. I've had mixed results with their products. So just so there isn't any confusion, I don't stand by Razer products. Sure I enjoy a number of their devices but I don't have some kind of blind loyalty to the brand nor do I swear by their products. I've dealt with faulty devices and shotty craftsmanship from Razer products more than I care to remember.

Both the Steelseries and Corsair options will obviously not work with the Synapse 2.0 service. The only choice is the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate if I want to have my bindings set up and saved in one location. Sure I could always set new bindings in a Corsair or Steelseries configuration application.... but I would have to then run BOTH configuration apps for Corsair/Steelseries bindings and Razer's Synapse 2.0 cloud service. Not really sure if Corsair or Steelseries have any alternatives of their own to Synapse 2.0???)

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo

Premium Member

Razer BlackWidow. Only because I own one and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I don't need 10+ macro keys (this one has 5). I don't mind the sound of the keys (they're not really quiet). Mechanical > standard.

edit: ...and I also don't need multimedia control on my keyboard.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

said by pr1mo:

Razer BlackWidow. Only because I own one and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I don't need 10+ macro keys (this one has 5). I don't mind the sound of the keys (they're not really quiet). Mechanical > standard.

edit: ...and I also don't need multimedia control on my keyboard.

Is the keyboard loud to use? And I don't really care for or desperately need multimedia key's either.
Nesse
join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL

Nesse

If the clicky noise of the keyboard is going to be considered too loud you can always select the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth that has a quiet mechanical keyboard with 45g actuation as opposed to the 50g actuation of the BWU. I believe everything else including price would be the same.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
Blackwidow

TRU
Michigan

TRU

The loud clicky noises do bother me. So I would want to avoid having a keyboard that is loud like that. Which of the switches out there are the quiet ones in terms of color?
Nesse
Naperville, IL

1 edit

Nesse

Get the Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth. Its the exact same keyboard without the clicky keys.

Or look for something with Cherry MX Brown for the tactile feel without the clicking. I believe thats what you would want.

Edited to change the color from Red to Brown.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

What do you guys think about the other two choices?

I was REALLY diggin' the Steelseries Apex keyboard. That bad boy looks awesome!
Nesse
Naperville, IL

Nesse

If I had to pick between the Steelseries and the Corsair, I would probably go with the Corsair Vengeance K70 with the Cherry MX Brown or Red, since you dont like the noise. I like the design layout of the K70 much better than the K50, it just looks sick. However, having never used it, I'm basing it that off looks.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

Anyone own the Logitech G710+? More and more that keyboard is beginning to grow on me.

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
I'd rule out anything that is not mechanical to be honest, try the Red/Brown switches for yourself and see which ones you like better.

TRU
Michigan

TRU

said by The Flash:

I'd rule out anything that is not mechanical to be honest, try the Red/Brown switches for yourself and see which ones you like better.

Is the G710+ not mechanical? I thought it was. When it comes to switches, I really want my next keyboard to be silent. I don't have any experience with which switches do what. Nor have I had the chance to personally test any switches. All I know is I want it to be silent(no clicking sound) and gaming friendly(shorter end of the spectrum for actuation points and precise).

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord to TRU

to TRU
said by TRU:

Anyone own the Logitech G710+?

Yup.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
I had a BlackWidow Ultimate that got destroyed in last year's flood. I replaced it with a Das Keyboard Model S and I love it, I like the key caps on the Das better than the Razer, other than that both were great, and I wouldn't have replaced the Razer if it hadn't gotten damaged.

The model S despite it's wonderful key caps is still loud as fuck, so if you are interested in it, you'll have to get a quieter one.

EQ

Meningitis
Hi
Premium Member
join:2009-03-06
Places

Meningitis to TRU

Premium Member

to TRU
said by TRU:

Anyone own the Logitech G710+? More and more that keyboard is beginning to grow on me.

Yes. I couldn't be happier with it.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to TRU

MVM

to TRU
I have a K70 and I like the mechanical keyboard, but I am not fully acclimated to it yet. I have a non-mechanical one at work so I am flipping between them both. The K70 is a bit louder, but I like the response on the keys quite a bit better.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Meningitis

Premium Member

to Meningitis
said by Meningitis:

Same.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to TRU

to TRU
own the black widow ultimate, absolutely love it and will never go back to a regular keyboard.