Search similar:

uniqs

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

[Help] What Gasket / Seal Has Failed Here?

Click for full size
Pulled into the drive way today and saw something smoke like coming from underneath the hood. Once I knew it wasnt an engine fire I popped the hood and noticed coolant was around the spark plug area hitting the hot engine and then vaporizing.

Ignore the oil mess for a moment as this is known about and was advised by the mechanic several months ago that it was a small leak and had some time to go before it needed to be taken care of. Now is that time obviously however I am wondering if this coolant leak is the same problem? There was no coolant leak prior to this, it was just the slight oil leak.

I had worried it was the head gasket but im not sure if that is the case here as it looks like the wrong spot?
scholwinsk
join:2002-06-28

scholwinsk

Not knowing make, model, engine size there is a coolant pipe between the spark plugs and the valve cover. It looks like the pipe is corroded and leaking. A simple pressure test should verify it. If it was not overheated it may be a simple coolant pipe replacement.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Sorry, 98 Chev. S10 2.2L.

No overheating (yet). From what I have read overt the years head gasket failures are common on these engines which has always had me worried.
swintec

swintec

Premium Member

I wonder if this is what has failed: »i781.photobucket.com/alb ··· s772.jpg

That is a heater line.
scholwinsk
join:2002-06-28

scholwinsk

Probably is a heater line. The one in the pic is a little different but similar. Give me a few minutes and i'll try to get a part #.
scholwinsk

scholwinsk to swintec

to swintec
Sorry, my sources ignore that part. Looks like dealer only or used.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by scholwinsk:

The pic i linked the guy posted he had the run around for three months trying to track one down.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

yea the main coolant lines for the GM engines are dealer parts only, and considering that it's very much corroded and wet where it contacts the block, it's kaput.

replace, flush, refill.

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

1 recommendation

pmohr to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Best I can tell that coolant pipe is GM PN 12563996, $89.16 retail. You'll also need the gasket, 24576532, $1.46 retail.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 recommendation

HarryH3 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Is there room at the forward end of that line to install a pipe nipple in place of the hard line? If so, then I would just run hose all the way forward, install a pipe nipple to connect the hose to and call it good. Screw GM and their $86 pipe.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by scholwinsk:

The pic i linked the guy posted he had the run around for three months trying to track one down.

Dorman has this.

DIRECT OE CROSS
15-75226 AC DELCO
12563996 GENERAL MOTORS

Dorman 902-103
»www.dormanproducts.com/p ··· 20Outlet

Heater Hose Outlet Pipe with Adapter

Application Summary: Chevrolet S10 2003-98, GMC Sonoma 2003-98

Application Notes:
L4 134 2.2L (2190cc); Adapter; w/Pipe

Amazon has it for 33 bucks...

»www.amazon.com/Dorman-90 ··· 01C6OYV2
Dorman 902-103 Coolant Adapter Pipe
by Dorman

List Price: $71.67
Price: $32.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

NAPA was able to get this part for me, be here tomorrow by 2.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Click for full size
You can actually see the big crack in the corroded pipe in the picture.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

I am not sure if that is a crack, the leak was not that bad. Actually, when i brought it to the mechanic to fix it, it was not leaking at all. He rubbed off some of that coolant that you can see solidified on the pipe and that is when it started leaking again. The system was holding pressure when we tested it to. Very weird.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

That's actually the left edge of the bracket, that is spot welded to the tube, that holds the spark plug wire loom.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

Just curious, is NAPA getting you the OEM part through a Dealer or the Delco part through Delco's Distribution system or are they getting you a Dormant Aftermarket Replacement Part? Also what are they charging you for it?

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 edit

swintec

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by swintec:

Just curious, is NAPA getting you the OEM part through a Dealer or the Delco part through Delco's Distribution system or are they getting you a Dormant Aftermarket Replacement Part? Also what are they charging you for it?

Just picked it up. Is a dorman part put into a Napa box. Was a DC pickup for them to get. 45 bucks. This was a last minute fix by someone I know who is also going to do the valve cover gasket to fix that oil leak that you see. If I had more time to plan I obviously could have saved some cash via amazon and prime shipping but not that big of a deal.