spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

How about Boosta de Speed?

I guess there is no way this is technically doable, but I'll throw it out here anyway. Zap the Cap doesn't interest me because In all the years I have been with TekSavvy I have never come close to 150mb down let alone 300mb down.

Boost the Speed however would interest me. I am currently on 25/10 but for 50/10 at the same price I would gladly take a speed reduction from 8 pm to 12 pm, and even take a cut in the cap from 300meg to 150meg/month.

I may not go far but I like to go fast. (I used to dragrace a motorcycle (10.4sec/127mph in the 1/4 mile)).

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The higher speeds in Rogers area through TPIA are expensive because of the price structure Rogers managed to get approved at the CRTC. So, it's not a marketable product.

lleader
Mississauga, ON

lleader

said by sbrook:

The higher speeds in Rogers area through TPIA are expensive because of the price structure Rogers managed to get approved at the CRTC. So, it's not a marketable product.

Well Zap The Cap isn't meant to be a 'marketable product' - it's intent is entirely to induce reduction in usage during peak time. So even if the speed boost concept wasn't feasible for everyone, it's adaption by those who could would aid the cause.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Rogers originally had speedboost added but decided to remove it after they went to "certified speed" for their own product. Speedboost also applied to the TPIAs on Rogers too.

Now, to do the same thing, the TPIA would have to buy you a connection at a higher speed and slow you down in peak times ... But you wouldn't save much because of the much higher base cost to the TPIAs of the higher speed tier.

As I said, higher speed tiers could be available from Rogers, but their pricing structure would make them far more expensive Rogers supplying them.

So until the CRTC sees how dumb the approved pricing is and that the cable companies are doing this to give themselves preferential treatment, higher speed tiers won't be a product people will buy from TPIAs.

lleader
Mississauga, ON

lleader

said by sbrook:

...because of the much higher base cost to the TPIAs of the higher speed tier.

I must admit I haven't compared prices between TekSavvy and Start, but I thought Start was able to offer 10 meg uploads on slower tiers by precisely this method - hooking everyone up on 150/10 and shaping them back to slower download speeds.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

If you look at Start's web page, they aren't offering 10 M upstream on anything but DSL or the cable 150/10 package.

TSI's Zap the Cap is a way of increasing the cap on cable by lowering the speed at peak hours.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

If you look at Start's web page, they aren't offering 10 M upstream on anything but DSL or the cable 150/10 package.

TSI's Zap the Cap is a way of increasing the cap on cable by lowering the speed at peak hours.

Start has a 10meg upstream on their 25/35/45 cable packages, for an extra $10/month.

You have to click the "Show the 'Plus' package upgrades with enhanced upload speeds" checkmark to show them.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

OK ... I gotta eat my words. I gotta wonder how they're doing this given what Rogers is charging! Sounds like a bit of a loss leader!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

OK ... I gotta eat my words. I gotta wonder how they're doing this given what Rogers is charging! Sounds like a bit of a loss leader!

Right now it isnt that much extra for the 150/10 tier, so they're shaping it down on the downstream. But rogers I believe has applied for higher port rates even on the 150/10 tier so this may come to an end sooner or later...
yltsi
join:2012-02-21

1 recommendation

yltsi to sbrook

to sbrook
Start has a lower cap on 25/10 and 35/10: 150GB and 200GB, also I believe Start throttles speed once you are over 10GB for the day.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by yltsi:

....also I believe Start throttles speed once you are over 10GB for the day.

I believe that this procedure (which you are incorrectly calling throttling) is NOT tied to their 10Mbps upstream deal.

And so far, they have only offered both of these things as paid options on Rogers-fed service.

START's Unlimited plans do NOT Throttle traffic - instead they (if triggered) prioritize your traffic so that if someone who does NOT subscribe to any of their unlimited plans thru Rogers has traffic at the exact same instant of time as yours, THEIRS goes first.

This is only likely for brief parts of peak period, the highest of which is currently at about 10PM Eastern time.

Also, I believe that the trigger for this is now 20GB of traffic per day.

And it resets DAILY.
Window7
join:2011-12-22

Window7 to yltsi

to yltsi
Really? well they just got dropped off the list of providers I'd go with.

10g is nothing.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Then how about 20 ?

And read my last post about how lenient it really is, if you DO trigger it.

It's a low price for unlimited download usage/traffic.

And customers on their Bell and Cogeco feeds do not influence your priority, if you are on their Rogers feed.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by sbrook:

Right now it isnt that much extra for the 150/10 tier, so they're shaping it down on the downstream. But rogers I believe has applied for higher port rates even on the 150/10 tier so this may come to an end sooner or later...

Yes, gotta review the base tariff rates for each tier, to get an idea how this plays out.

OTOH, Cogeco, bless their benevolent generous corporate hearts, is throwing in the 10Mbps upstream bandwidth (speed) for nothing so far, even to the TPIA ISPs.

petermdodge
join:2014-03-31
Canada

petermdodge to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
It's to the point these days where 10GB might not even cover a single game download, so I wouldn't call it particularly generous.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

MY, how games have evolved !

But isn't that the sort of thing to schedule for download from 2AM-8AM ?

The only things which cannot be scheduled are real-time TV streams.

Admittedly, some of THOSE are getting fat too..

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by sbrook:

Hey, Rogers has only asked for a 41.6% increase in the monthly connection rate for 150/10 (see RESA's google spreadsheet), and they want it retro to Nov. 7, 2013 (from TN33 cover letter). If I remember right, the CRTC granted Rogers the big retro increase when CBB rates were approved for aggregated; Start got nailed then also. (and that 41.6 % is not even the largest increase they have asked for; the 25/2 requested increase is even higher, at over 45%).

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

Hey, Rogers has only asked for a 41.6% increase in the monthly connection rate....

So these are the base fees to the IISP per subscriber account ?

With which other incumbent is Rogers trying to get even, price-wise ?

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34

said by Davesnothere:

said by jasmo34:

Hey, Rogers has only asked for a 41.6% increase in the monthly connection rate for 150/10....

So these are the base fees to the IISP per subscriber account ?
With which other incumbent is Rogers trying to get even, price-wise ?

Hey DNH! Have you not seen this doc by RESA? ...
»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· ng#gid=0
(select ROGERS tab at bottom)

I do not know if they are trying to match anyone; after all, they have submitted their own 'comprehensive cost studies' to the CRTC that justify their requests (AHcough, AHcough)!

(AHcough! = Animal House Cough!)

edit1: changed DNT to DNH!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

Hey DNH! Have you not seen this doc by RESA? ...

»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· ng#gid=0
(select ROGERS tab at bottom)

I do not know if they are trying to match anyone....

SH00T, I must be out of the 'dry loop' !

And when I asked that question, naturally I was thinking of GOUGEco, who has the highest CBB rate of the lot.

Raising base fees, no matter whether or how justified, would tend to bring Rogers closer to Cogeco, in ARPU.

Rogers seems to be trying to make all of their tiers' base costs closer to a 'one price buys any speed' strategy, whereas Cogeco seems to be currently satisfied with a notable spread in price for each tier, the best example of which is where their popular 30Mbps tier costs about $10 more than their 20 (~$25 vs ~$15).

But does/should it really cost very much more to HAVE a faster connection, before a subscriber even USES it ?

Isn't that the [alleged] purpose of CBB / UBB !
LanAdmin
join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

1 edit

LanAdmin to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Rogers
Speed Monthly access rates (without usage)
0.5 Mbps $12.06
3 Mbps $12.44
10 Mbps $14.45
15 Mbps $19.51
25 Mbps $21.50
50 Mbps $23.32
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 3-76.htm

+ Monthly capacity rate per 100 Mbps: $1,400

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Now add in the transit costs for the bandwidth for those tiers.