North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to eric87m

MVM

to eric87m

Re: How unlimited is unlimited these days?

I have an unlimited plan on my phone and use anywhere from 4GB to 20GB each month. As far as throttling is concerned, nothing on band 13, or band 14 LTE as pointed out above. On 3G, I find that my phone is throttled under two conditions. First, I must have used 3GB or more of data in a billing cycle, and two, in a single 3G data session (basically from hopping on 3G to when I move back to LTE, or go to Wi-Fi for a while) I must have transferred more than 20MB. The throttled speeds are 128kbps downstream and 60kbps upstream once both of these are met.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

I have an unlimited plan on my phone and use anywhere from 4GB to 20GB each month. As far as throttling is concerned, nothing on band 13, or band 14 LTE as pointed out above. On 3G, I find that my phone is throttled under two conditions. First, I must have used 3GB or more of data in a billing cycle, and two, in a single 3G data session (basically from hopping on 3G to when I move back to LTE, or go to Wi-Fi for a while) I must have transferred more than 20MB. The throttled speeds are 128kbps downstream and 60kbps upstream once both of these are met.

Maybe this is why whenever I have any PAndora and Amazon music streaming issues, it's when the phone has switched over to 3G? This would explain it since the Pandora stream is 192kbps I think. And my Amazon streams are 256kbps and higher. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Quite possibly. When my phone isn't being throttled on 3G and I have a decent signal, I can usually stream 720p YouTube on the 3G network. Otherwise, stuff like Pandora more than flies. Once I hit some sort of threshold, it seems to get quite poor.