spc
Search similar:

uniqs
itznfb
join:2013-02-11
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

itznfb

[Networking] Removing the Actiontec... a couple questions.

I want to remove my Actiontec mi424wr and replace it with a psfense box. I currently have FiOS internet being supplied to the router via coax which is also split to my HD Home Run Prime with cable card. I have no other STBs.

From what I gather from the FAQs my first step will be to connect up my router to my ONT via Ethernet and get Verizon to activate the Ethernet port on the ONT.

Once I verify that is working I'm guessing I can replace with the mi424wr with my psfense box?
Assuming that works will my coax from ONT to HD Home Run Prime still be lit and functional?

If all the above is true working and for some reason I need a reset on my CableCard will I need to put the mi424wr back in place in order for the VZ Tech to access the card or can they access it directly from the ONT?

Is it worth it for me to do all of this or should I just try to setup the mi424wr in some type of passthrough mode?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

All your questions have answers here

»Verizon FiOS FAQ

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to itznfb

MVM

to itznfb
said by itznfb:

From what I gather from the FAQs my first step will be to connect up my router to my ONT via Ethernet and get Verizon to activate the Ethernet port on the ONT.

Correct.
said by itznfb:

Once I verify that is working I'm guessing I can replace with the mi424wr with my psfense box?

Correct. Be sure to release the DHCP lease on the Actiontec before swapping in the pfsense box.
said by itznfb:

If all the above is true working and for some reason I need a reset on my CableCard will I need to put the mi424wr back in place

No. Communication with the cable card is done through an out-of-band RF signal, not through IP.
said by itznfb:

Is it worth it for me to do all of this

That's totally your call. Depends on the advantages you see in running pfsense. All in all, switch switching from coax to ethernet and your own router is pretty straight forward given that you don;t have VZ STBs.
AkumaKuru
join:2006-03-23
Virginia

AkumaKuru to itznfb

to itznfb
As stated before, just release DHCP lease on your Actiontec router before plugging in to pfsense. CableCard does not utilize the Actiontec router at all as its not a MoCa device. it just needs coax connection to the ONT and a network connection to your network.

If you use a regular cable box, you still need the Actiontec router in place. if not, do what ye will with it.

i have pretty much same setup you are trying to get and it works great. best part being you know exactly whats going on inside your network.
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

Thanks for the replies.

@AkumaKuru, do you have both the Ethernet port and COAX enabled?

Nick5
@verizon.net

Nick5 to AkumaKuru

Anon

to AkumaKuru
said by AkumaKuru:

As stated before, just release DHCP lease on your Actiontec router before plugging in to pfsense.

If you mess up on this, just call and ask them to do it.

anony
@comcastbusiness.net

anony to AkumaKuru

Anon

to AkumaKuru
said by AkumaKuru:

CableCard does not utilize the Actiontec router at all as its not a MoCa device. it just needs coax connection to the ONT and a network connection to your network.

i am looking to do a similar setup to the OP. i just wanted to clarify something.

i have read that it isn't possible to configure the ONT to use ethernet and coax at the same time. is the situation just that the ONT can't be set for ethernet and MoCa at the same time, but ethernet and non-MoCa coax features work fine?

specifically, if i run a cat5e from my router to the ONT, release the ip info on the actiontec, disconnect the actiontec and then make the connection to the new router, the new router should work and my hdhr prime (cable card based) will continue to function?

also, many of the guides i've seen from 2009 or so all say you have to call verizon's customer service to switch from coax to ethernet. is this outdated info or is this still necessary?
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

The ONT can only do one or the other for the internet portion and you must still call to have it switched over. Unless you call the ethernet port on the ONT is dead.

One of the other does mean only the connection to the router. When you switch the router to Ethernet, you'd still use the COAX out of the ONT to connect to your TVs

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to anony

MVM

to anony
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can coax and ethernet be active at the same time?
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

One more question on this.....
With the I Actiontec is there any difference between removing the router and just putting your own router in the DMZ?
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer

Premium Member

Really - please look over the FAQs. This question is answered specifically already there: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

The FAQs are there for a reason and have been put together based on many threads of the same topics over the years. The FAQs also likely would provide a more complete, informative, and correct answer than an individual response in this forum would be.
itznfb
Pittsburgh, PA

itznfb

Thanks for your completely worthless response. I have read the FAQs and no that question isn't answered. Have you read the FAQ's? Clearly you're just repeating what other people say because the only difference mentioned in the FAQ is the NAT table. That is 1 item out of potentially thousands of issues you could still run into. I've searched and found other people ask the same question but the question was never answered. I'm sure other people have used the DMZ approach which still leaves Verizon with a lot of control. I'm looking for feedback from people who have gone through this scenario which obviously isn't covered in the FAQ.