All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MissSherlock
join:2009-05-17
Ontario

MissSherlock

Need Advice on a new Internet & TV Provider!

Hello Folks,

A friend asked for advice on a new Internet & TV provider.

Rogers has increased her bill by $30.00 since last Fall. She had negotiated a lower price but it didn't last long!

Bell (Fibe) is offering:

$14.95 x first three months
$40.95/mo thereafter ('Good' package)
$42.95/mo Internet (25/10 - 100 GBs)
along with a free PVR

I'm familiar with Teksavvy for Internet. Same DSL Internet would be $39.95 (300 GBs) plus the initial cost of modem/router, etc.

What about VMedia?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Best, ms

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Bell requires you go with their internet package to get FibeTV. Same for VMedia and Zazeen (Acanac) IPTV solutions.

Just so you know.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

1 edit

Nitra

said by HiVolt:

Bell requires you go with their internet package to get FibeTV. Same for VMedia and Zazeen (Acanac) IPTV solutions.

Not exactly...
I have FibeTV, without internet or home phone.

There is a process to get it however... You need to order FibeTV with internet, after 30 days, you call them back and have it swapped to zero-rated. Providing there's no usage, this isn't a problem.

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

said by Nitra:

have it swapped to zero-rated...

What do you mean zero-rated? I though these were on contract - "First 3 mo. at a certain price and the rest at x amount."

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY to MissSherlock

Premium Member

to MissSherlock
Look at Electronic Box. Good packages and good prices and I think even some deals for switching for Ontarians.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra to Alittlegreen

to Alittlegreen
You need the internet for FibeTV to work, however, if you call retentions, you can have the internet portion swapped to "Zero-Rated" it still shows on your bill, but it's charged at $0.

And you're from QC as well, there's no TV contracts here anymore.
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi All,

Sorry, I just noticed that my profile showed only Canada. I'm east of Toronto: Whitby, Ontario.

Can you mix Teksavvy DSL with Bell Fibe?

Thanks, ms

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

You can, but it's a little more complex.
You need to order FibeTV with internet first. Get it all hooked up, after the first bill, call into retentions and tell them you don't use the internet, you have internet with another provider.
They will swap it to zero-rated.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to MissSherlock

Premium Member

to MissSherlock
Start Communications for cable internet, Shaw Direct for TV.

Start is a no-brainer.

Shaw Direct does have some drawbacks, but provides the best bang for the buck. They usually have offerings specifically geared to luring people away from cable. Free this, free that. I got 2 receivers and the install done for the HST, about $38., and I owned the equipment after year 1. Better HD, more channels, better channel packages, way less money. They don't get their britches in a knot when you get a bit behind in payments either. Getting through to support is a bit of a drag, just like everyone else. But I loved it.

Mike
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi Nitra, Dilly and All,

Thanks Dilly. My friend is in an apartment building so she can't use a satellite dish. Sadly the options are limited. I will check-out Start Communications.

Nitra, thanks for the info on zero-rated. Interesting how Bell reps never mentioned a word about needing the Internet for Fibe to work.

I was going to suggest cutting the cord on the TV. However, I just recently read that many TV stations are going to limit who can view their programmes online. So if you're not with one of the larger carriers (Bell, Rogers et al.) you won't be able to access TV shows online.

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 659.html

Many thanks to all.

Best
Expand your moderator at work

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

modemport to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock

Re: Need Advice on a new Internet & TV Provider!

*cough cough* you /do/ know that you can download pretty much every show on the planet off websites, other than off CTV, CBC etc ... ?

I cut the tv cable December 2012 and haven't looked back. 300gb DSL is more than enough.

edit - NEVER do torrents, btw
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock
said by MissSherlock:

Hi All,

Sorry, I just noticed that my profile showed only Canada. I'm east of Toronto: Whitby, Ontario.

Thanks, ms

Yes you can as others have pointed out, you need to order with TV and Bell Internet first and then you can speak to retention about having TV only.

Be aware, a lot of promos that Bell is currently offering is based on you having multiple services. Dropping one, could affect the price you pay with Bell.

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock
said by MissSherlock:

Hi All,

Thanks, ms

You can put a post in the Teksavvy DSL page and ask people who live in Whitby what their experiences with TSI has been.

»TekSavvy

It doesn't hurt to get opinions from people who live in a particular area.
Expand your moderator at work
zoltran
join:2009-01-06
London, ON

zoltran to MissSherlock

to MissSherlock

Re: Need Advice on a new Internet & TV Provider!

I have been with Acanac for over 3 years and have had their TV service since Jan (It's called Zazeen TV).
I have no complaints. Works well. Good community support in their forums.

If you are going with DSL/VDSL they will give you two free months of TV
MissSherlock
Ontario

MissSherlock

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your fantastic input.

My friend went with Bell Fibe TV & Internet package. The total for the month would be about $91.00 plus taxes. About $40.00 savings per month.

Best, ms