Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to totalradio

Premium Member

to totalradio

Re: Back in the day...

The internet is what killed twc. Who needs weather on the 8s when I can get weather on the now.

And for trip planning you do not have to wait just punch in the zip of your destination.

I do remember though when on trips part of the morning ritual at one time was to turn on TWC.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

3 recommendations

battleop

"The internet is what killed twc."

No, it was all those stupid reality shows.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

stupid reality shows seems to be the fate of every niche channel ever.

Weather Channel
ZDTV when it got borged and became G4
Scifi Channel

Are just 3 examples.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
Exactly. I have the WeatherBug app on my Android phone and I get real-time alerts about severe weather in the area.

Who needs The Weather Channel? I certainly don't.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

"The internet is what killed twc."

No, it was all those stupid reality shows.

No, it was the internet.

The reality shows started coming when they realized they needed something else to offer to the viewer.... who already was carrying the latest weather in their pocket, on their smartphones.
trollscience
join:2013-12-14
Carrington, ND

trollscience

It's the smart apps. »itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ··· 734?mt=8

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

stupid reality shows seems to be the fate of every channel, period.

Let me fix that for you!

Truth DAT
@bellsouth.net

Truth DAT to battleop

Anon

to battleop
I don't miss the weather channel and had not even attempted to watch it in years. The last time I watched, I had first moved to Atlanta, where they are located, and we had several tornadoes bearing down on the city and actually hitting all around us, they came on the air for a few seconds to show an OLD weather map then jumped right back to an episode of Storm Stories as the town was blown apart. Meanwhile I turned to the local TV stations who gave street level details, instead of TWC vague by the zipcode answers and they updated to the second of where these tornadoes were headed, which to a new to the area person like me was very helpful. Even the online weather.com was useless, but they were not concerned that day with their own safety during the storms, as they were more interested in that STorm STories show that they sold commercial time for instead of giving out actual life saving information, while the local channels that depend on commercials dropped ALL shows and the ads with them to make sure everyone was informed and safe- giving a constant stream of no only what was coming and when, but what to do before, during and after the arrival.