uniqs
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

4 edits

zamarac to mazilo

to mazilo

Re: Installing FreeSwitch & FusionPBX on a Plug PC or Router

I might be able to test it soon with a 800Mhz Freescale CPU based router. The router with OpenWRT was reported to deliver 24MB/s write speeds through a USB2.0 port to an EXT4 formatted USB3.0 thumb, which is more than adequate for HD calls recording. Some modern 2-core CPU routers feature several USB3.0 ports now. That's ideal for large file copy over LAN, while torrent download speeds usually max out on most consumer networks at 3MB/s, and recommended for best quality HD audio & video communication bandwidth with Google Handouts WebRTC is up to 2.5 Mbps = 0.3 MB/s as per Bandwidth Calculator »web.forret.com/tools/ban ··· dth.asp? . So there's solid CPU performance reserve for simultaneous work with other processes at recording calls to disk (of course without media transcoding and VPN workload). Also interesting to see how call encryption by PBX may affect a router & plug PC CPU load - any stats?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by zamarac:

The router with OpenWRT was reported to deliver 24MB/s write speeds through a USB2.0 port to an EXT4 formatted USB3.0 thumb, which is more than adequate for HD calls recording.

R U saying if I bought a USB3 memory stick, format it with an EXT4 FS, plug it into my Dockstar USB2 port, it should easily deliver 20+ MBps while its cousin (USB2 memory stick) won't even be able to deliver 5 MBps?
zamarac
Canada

4 edits

zamarac

Yes, of course, it greatly depends on USB Thumb controller and flash type, and also on the device's USB controller model. Theoretical USB2.0 max bandwidth is 60MB/s. I just did a quick test with FreeSwitch and other processes running - inserted my SP 32Gb USB3.0 EXT4 Flash drive into a USB2.0 Dockstar port and run these USB Benchmark Tests »wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/b ··· ark.usb:

root@DockStar:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1:
 Timing cached reads:   322 MB in  2.01 seconds = 160.53 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  92 MB in  3.00 seconds =  30.62 MB/sec

root@DockStar:~# bonnie++ -n 0 -u 0 -s 64 -f -b -d /mnt/sdb1
Using uid:0, gid:0.
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...done
Reading intelligently...done
start 'em...done...done...done...done...done...
Version  1.96       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
Concurrency   1     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
DockStar        64M           20557  12 20219  16           105669  56  2313  76
Latency                         117ms     129ms               669us   56171us

1.96,1.96,DockStar,1,1396811577,64M,,,,20557,12,20219,16,,,105669,56,2313,76,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,117ms,129ms,,669us,56171us,,,,,,

Will do some more real life tests with coping large torrent files (continuous writes), very small multiple files, and audio streams usually flashed to disk periodically from cache, but standard test averages are already clear (see bonnie++ results interpretation »www.coker.com.au/bonnie+ ··· dme.html ):

thumb reads ~30MB/s (CPU 12%), writes ~20MB/s (CPU 16%)
cache reads ~160MB/s (CPU 65%), writes ~105MB/s (CPU 55%)

so a good USB3.0 Thumb is approaching USB2.0 HDD internal copy speeds on Dockstar, while flashes to RAM are a lot faster anyway. Plenty of CPU juice is left for phone call switching while recording calls. :)

It also means fast and cool Aria2 handled torrent downloads without high and lengthy CPU load & overheating to an attached USB3.0 thumb or HDD with max total download speed at 3MB/sec delivered by most cable subs (no more than 2 torrents in parallel is advisable for optimum performance at such cable speeds). Of course torrent bites will be dumped to disk periodically from cache depending on available and set in the torrent client download cache size.

You can also read regarding Dockstar & GoFlexNet speed tests of reading & writing to a USB2.0 and SATA HDDs over LAN here: Archlinux: Slow Samba revisited »archlinuxarm.org/forum/v ··· it=speed
Lewy7
join:2010-11-03

Lewy7

@ zamarac,
I've tried installing fusionpbx and freeswitch a couple of times on my Pogo E02 without success. I followed install instructions on fusionpbx site but ran in to trouble more than once. Can you please give details of how you did it.
Thanks
zamarac
Canada

2 edits

zamarac

Pogo E02 is the same ARM5 device as Seagate Dockstar, just arcnumber may be different. Abundant install details are given in the Manual (Installing FreeSwitch & FusionPBX on a Plug PC DockStar running OpenWRT) linked in this thread's 1st post. Once you read and tried to follow the Manual, you're welcome to let us know what went wrong. There're many folks who can help you here.
Lewy7
join:2010-11-03

Lewy7

I see I didn't read carefully the first time. I tried on debian I am not familiar with openwrt and do not have the time to learn it now. I guess I'll try the instructions for debian again.
Thanks
zamarac
Canada

zamarac

There are a lot more commonalities than differences btw various Linux distributions. If you follow the above Manual, installing OpenWRT amounts to coping one file and unpacking one archive onto a USB stick, so its not THAT much to learn. Bootloader is also the same - Jeff's Uboot.

Even if you install Debian, there is hardly any fundamental difference in installing FreeSwitch and FusionPBX on Debian anyway - just use precompiled packages available for your distro. If errors occur during setup, look through the Manual - they might be similar, or ask here.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to mazilo

to mazilo
I tested three types of USB to RJ45 adapters with MK802. R9700 based adapter can only give about 5 Mbps. AX88772B chipset based ones can usually deliver 60 Mbps. I tried gigabit adapters also, they didn't work for me even for ASIX based ones. Maybe they will work if there's right drivers.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

AX88772B chipset based ones can usually deliver 60 Mbps.

I am glad to hear that. The seller of this USB 2.0 To RJ45 Ethernet 10/100Mbps Network Lan Adapter once told me the USB/RJ45 dongle can easily deliver 80+ Mbps download connection.

I tried gigabit adapters also, they didn't work for me even for ASIX based ones. Maybe they will work if there's right drivers.

I believe ASIX has GPLed all its drivers.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

said by mazilo:

I believe ASIX has GPLed all its drivers.

Maybe I should do another try.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
Does anyone know what is the performance of this inexpensive USB Female to Male Ethernet RJ45 Connector/Adaptor and what it can do? I don't know if it can be used to turn an RJ45 port (on a router) into a USB2 port to connect a hard drive (with an external power supply) as a storage or even connect a USB Skype Video/Phone to a router hosting a PBX System.
zamarac
Canada

1 edit

zamarac

said by mazilo:

what it can do?

80 Mbps = 10 MB/s , which is still slow for file copy over LAN, but good enough or even overkill for VoIP traffic.

I didn't try the TomTop adapter, and they probably have no content answer to customer questions as usual, but just as description says its likely to pass LAN traffic from a router's USB port to a device's LAN port ONLY. Anything else would require special drivers installed on your device, and I doubt its circuitry passes power anyway.
said by twinclouds:

AX88772B chipset based ones can usually deliver 60 Mbps

Does it stay cool to touch during operation?

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Does anyone know what is the performance of this inexpensive USB Female to Male Ethernet RJ45 Connector/Adaptor and what it can do?

That's not a USB 2 Ethernet network card, it's simply a USB jack wired directly to a RJ45 plug. No idea where such an adapter would be useful.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac

May be as an extra Ethernet port from the modem to a 2nd router?

toro
Scarborough, ON

toro

I have no idea what you are suggesting. Maybe I should explain more clearly: it's doesn't convert USB signalling to Ethernet signalling. I just connects the wires from one to another.
The only useful application I would see, is if you have RJ45 cabling throughout a house and want to use one of the cables as a long USB extension. However, you would need a reverse converter at the other end (male USB to female RJ45).
zamarac
Canada

1 edit

zamarac

Actually, I said similar thing in the post above yours. But... some modems come with a USB port on the back. That USB port is designed to provide Ethernet access - just rewired as you suggested, probably for some devices which provide network access via USB. So using this adapter would allow to connect a 2nd router if a modem can support 2 LAN devices (which it probably can if having a USB LAN port).

Ethernet and USB connections are bridged allowing LAN traffic between USB device and Ethernet LAN. Motorola SB5101 Manual »www.secable.com/S_pdf/sb5101.pdf

toro
Scarborough, ON

toro

said by zamarac:

Actually, I said similar thing in the post above yours. But... some modems come with a USB port on the back. That USB port is designed to provide Ethernet access - just rewired as you suggested, probably for some devices which provide network access via USB. So using this adapter would allow to connect a 2nd router if a modem can support 2 LAN devices (which it probably can if having a USB LAN port).

Ethernet and USB connections are bridged allowing LAN traffic between USB device and Ethernet LAN. Motorola SB5101 Manual »www.secable.com/S_pdf/sb5101.pdf

That's exactly what I am referring to, when I try to point out that the USB port can't be used as an Ethernet port just by using a connector adapter. The USB port on the Motorola modem is meant to be connected to a USB port on the PC. Then, internally, the modem will bridge the USB connected device to the Ethernect connected device(s) as if they were part of the same LAN. Similarly how many wireless routers have separate network interfaces for Wired and Wireless connections, and bridge them together.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac

Of course. I wonder in what scenarios a PC would need to establish network connection via a USB port (probably when LAN adapter is broken?), and how to setup such LAN connection via USB port on a PC side?

toro
Scarborough, ON

toro

They provide a USB modem driver that needs to be installed.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
said by zamarac:

I just did a quick test with FreeSwitch and other processes running - inserted my SP 32Gb USB3.0 EXT4 Flash drive into a USB2.0 Dockstar port and run these USB Benchmark Tests »wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/b ··· ark.usb:

/dev/sdb1:
Timing cached reads: 322 MB in 2.01 seconds = 160.53 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 92 MB in 3.00 seconds = 30.62 MB/sec

I don't know how reliable and/or accurate HDPARM is. When I used HDPARM to check my WD Passport 120GB HD used as a USB2 boot drive on my Seagate Dockstar, it gives the following output:
root@DockStar:/# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   206 MB in 0.51 seconds = 413600 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   75 MB in 3.03 seconds = 25307 kB/s
root@DockStar:/#

zamarac
Canada

3 edits

zamarac

What seems to be a concern with your test results? I need to read more about HDParm test definitions & methodology. HDParm may also test reading & writing to HDD internal memory as opposed to HDD platters.

Anyway, I do know however my USB3.0 Stick is very fast in USB2.0, and a LOT faster in USB3.0 PC card. I tested it in Windows and Linux on a PC pretty extensively. Of course, latest USB3.0 Sandisk is faster in some operations, but it costs 3 times more, not worse the price for me.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

In my previous post, the timing buffer-cache reads on my WD Passport HDD connected to my Seagate Dockstar through its USB2 port is about 400+ MBps. That is equivalent to about 3 Gpbs. If it is on a SATA port, I could agree. But, this is on a USB2 port.
zamarac
Canada

2 edits

zamarac

Excerpt from HDParm Manual:

"For meaningful results, test should be repeated 2-3 times on an otherwise inactive system (no other active processes) with at least a couple of megabytes of free memory.

Cached reads:
This displays speed of reading directly from the Linux buffer cache (RAM) without disk access. This measurement is essentially an indication of the throughput of the processor, cache, and memory of the system under test.

Buffered disk reads:
This displays the speed of reading through the buffer cache to the disk (HDD to RAM) without any prior caching of data. This measurement is an indication of how fast the drive can sustain sequential data reads under Linux, without any filesystem overhead. To ensure accurate measurements, the buffer cache is flushed during the processing of -t using the BLKFLSBUF ioctl."

So my results were 160MB/s reads from RAM while running many other processes, and yours 400MB/s, but the data didn't pass USB port in the "cached reads" test. Did you run any processes at that time, may be you want to repeat tests a few times?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
The /dev/sda1 is my boot drive connected to one of the USB2 ports on my Seagate Dockstar. I ran 10x and the results almost the same. Before I performed the 1st run, I did something called drop-caches to have the kernel drop the page, inode, and dentry caches.

root@DockStar:/# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   184 MB in 0.51 seconds = 368879 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   71 MB in 3.02 seconds = 24036 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   186 MB in 0.51 seconds = 372679 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   62 MB in 3.01 seconds = 21069 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   186 MB in 0.51 seconds = 370893 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   75 MB in 3.03 seconds = 25289 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   188 MB in 0.50 seconds = 377510 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   74 MB in 3.00 seconds = 25217 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   184 MB in 0.51 seconds = 365935 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   62 MB in 3.00 seconds = 21100 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   184 MB in 0.51 seconds = 367634 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   69 MB in 3.01 seconds = 23470 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   186 MB in 0.51 seconds = 371997 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in 3.01 seconds = 23746 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   186 MB in 0.51 seconds = 371410 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   71 MB in 3.03 seconds = 23947 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   186 MB in 0.51 seconds = 373077 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   74 MB in 3.01 seconds = 25167 kB/s

/dev/sda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   190 MB in 0.51 seconds = 377470 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in 3.01 seconds = 23796 kB/s
root@DockStar:/#

zamarac
Canada

3 edits

zamarac

Your RAM reads are twice as faster than mine. Not sure why, may be due to newer kernel you use, or I need to check RAM performance, or shutdown all processes. Your HDD results are pretty consistent, and show lower read speed compare to mine USB3.0 Thumb that is quite possible, though write speeds might be higher. Below some more tests:

USB2.0 Sandisk Flash vs USB3.0 SP Flash :

root@DockStar:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   370 MB in  2.01 seconds = 184.13 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  46 MB in  3.01 seconds =  15.30 MB/sec

/dev/sdb1:
 Timing cached reads:   388 MB in  2.00 seconds = 193.64 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  94 MB in  3.03 seconds =  31.01 MB/sec
root@DockStar:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1

Hence, USB3.0 Flash shows twice faster reads through Dockstar's USB2.0 port.

root@DockStar:~# bonnie++ -n 0 -u 0 -s 64 -f -b -d /mnt/sda1
Rewriting...done
DockStar        64M            1409   0  1390   1           +++++ +++ 192.2   6
Latency                        6362ms    1793ms               654us    3010ms

1.96,1.96,DockStar,1,1397090211,64M,,,,1409,0,1390,1,,,+++++,+++,192.2,6,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,6362ms,1793ms,,654us,3010ms,,,,,,

root@DockStar:~# bonnie++ -n 0 -u 0 -s 64 -f -b -d /mnt/sdb1
Rewriting...done
DockStar        64M           20852  12 20676  17           57648  30  2296  76
Latency                       76843us   88598us               514us   57510us

1.96,1.96,DockStar,1,1397089880,64M,,,,20852,12,20676,17,,,57648,30,2296,76,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,76843us,88598us,,514us,57510us,,,,,,

This shows USB2.0 thumb writes at 1.4 MB/s versus USB3.0 thumb writes at 20MB/s through Dockstar's USB2.0 port. It's quite low for the USB2.0 Flash, so may be I need to try some Block Alignment Techniques »lwn.net/Articles/428584/ to speed up the Sandisk Thumb, or remap its partition structure. :)
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by zamarac:

Your RAM reads are twice as faster than mine. Not sure why, may be due to newer kernel you use, or I need to check RAM performance, or shutdown all processes.

I build/compiled my own OpenWRT and I disabled a lot of unnecessary default features, i.e. NAT/Firewall, etc. I don't know if this has improved the performance or not.

Your HDD results are pretty consistent, and show lower read speed compare to mine USB3.0 Thumb that is quite possible, though write speeds might be higher.

My HDD is an old WD Passport IDE HDD and I don't suppose it can do more than 50 MBps read. When HDPARM reported that it could go as high as 400+ MBps, that really surprised me.

I am glad you brought up the performance of a USB3 memory stick on a USB2 port.
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

this USB 2.0 To RJ45 Ethernet 10/100Mbps Network Lan Adapter (based on a Hexin AX88772B chipset can probably deliver a better throughput than mine

Here's relatively low priced USB3.0-to-Gigabit_LAN Adapter. Based on description and looks, it appears rather well made. The seller claims it to have ASIX AX88179 chipset, promising real life throughput 600Mbps when hooked to a USB3.0 port, and 320Mbps (40MB/s) through USB2.0 port.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by zamarac:

said by mazilo:

this USB 2.0 To RJ45 Ethernet 10/100Mbps Network Lan Adapter (based on a Hexin AX88772B chipset can probably deliver a better throughput than mine

Here's relatively low priced USB3.0-to-Gigabit_LAN Adapter. Based on description and looks, it appears rather well made. The seller claims it to have ASIX AX88179 chipset, promising real life throughput 600Mbps when hooked to a USB3.0 port, and 320Mbps (40MB/s) through USB2.0 port.

That looks like a good promise (I meant a good adapter).
zamarac
Canada

zamarac to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

I am glad you brought up the performance of a USB3 memory stick on a USB2 port.

More details for USB3.0 enthusiasts using them with a Media Server or PBX Switch installed in a WiFi Router. Many router models currently ship with 1-2 USB3.0 ports. They are equipped with more powerful CPUs allowing writing to disk at higher speed, though not close to max US3.0 spec speed. However, there is an interference issue btw USB3.0 router port and 2.4GHz WiFi Router spectrum range that usually results in significant WiFi connection speed drop or interruption, especially when data is transferred btw the router and attached drive. This issue doesn't affect 5 GHz WiFi spectrum, and neither USB2.0 ports in a router. Its primarily mitigated by router makers via improved USB port isolation in latest models »www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 4,00.asp

For more info see useful Intel White Paper:

USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference Impact on 2.4 GHz Wireless Devices »www.usb.org/developers/w ··· 7216.pdf
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to zamarac

Premium Member

to zamarac
Excellent. That's something worth to watch out.