spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bucky in ky
@myvzw.com

bucky in ky

Anon

[Internet] arris dg860

Need some help here. Lightning struck outside today and fried the pc. It wont turn on at any outlet. The modem still has power but im not picking up any wireless networks. Do these modems need a configured pc to "allow" there to be a wifi signal? shouldn't the modem be able to run Wi-Fi independently of a pc? I have power cycled the modem and even hit the reset button but have had no luck finding my network-any network-nearby. Did the power surge fry my modem too?
44082721 (banned)
join:2012-03-16
Canoga Park, CA

44082721 (banned)

Sure sounds like the modem is fried.

Don't own an arris but I've never heard of a modem needing a PC for wifi to operate.

Do you have another device you can plug into the modem?
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to bucky in ky

to bucky in ky
said by bucky in ky :

Need some help here. Lightning struck outside today and fried the pc. It wont turn on at any outlet. The modem still has power but im not picking up any wireless networks. Do these modems need a configured pc to "allow" there to be a wifi signal? shouldn't the modem be able to run Wi-Fi independently of a pc? I have power cycled the modem and even hit the reset button but have had no luck finding my network-any network-nearby. Did the power surge fry my modem too?

I would guess the modem's radio is fried -- that would not be surprised with a charge that close that it would cook the transmitter in the modem for the Wifi.

bucky in ky
@myvzw.com

bucky in ky

Anon

Thanks for the insight. I felt that this was probably the case-as being pc dependent just didn't make sense. Unfortunately I have no other device to test the modem but I wanted some other opinions before contacting twc. Thanks guys.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by bucky in ky :

Thanks for the insight. I felt that this was probably the case-as being pc dependent just didn't make sense. Unfortunately I have no other device to test the modem but I wanted some other opinions before contacting twc. Thanks guys.

Likely best to get TWC out to replace the modem and they also can check the TWC cable grounding to ensure that it didn't get "blown away" when the lightning hit near by.