spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

With Windows 9, Microsoft may finally forget the past

Microsoft is expected to reveal the first details of its next major Windows release this week at Build 2014. »bgr.com/2014/04/01/windo ··· se-date/
Another version of Windows 8. This is just great.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

quote:
Interestingly, Windows 9 might not include a “Desktop for running legacy Win32 apps,” according to “previous tips,” and will be updated “frequently and regularly” via the Windows Store.
'Interestingly' is right - given the amount of complaining around Windows 8 desktop changes (including some from me), on the surface (ha!) this doesn't seem like it's going to go down easily with the customer base.

Maybe they've figured out some bold new synthesis.

Or maybe this rumour-mill has got it wrong, and the thing that will not exist is not 'the desktop' but 'support for 32-bit desktop apps'. (The word Win32 got used to contrast with Win16 and specifically with respect to APIs; Win64 never really caught on as a name, perhaps because the 32-bit API and 64-bit API are identical from a specification viewpoint, so it's unclear what is meant by 'Win32' in the quote). 32-bit is going away sooner or later, that's for sure.

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to 47717768

Anon

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Microsoft is expected to reveal the first details of its next major Windows release this week at Build 2014. »bgr.com/2014/04/01/windo ··· se-date/

What did you expect. Did the Windows 8 haters honestly expect Windows 9 to be more like Windows 7/XP? MS isn't going backwards. I guess the Windows 7 crowd will just have to keep using Windows 7 until Jan 2020 when MS stops supporting it. OR...... you can just get with the program and get used to Windows 8.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

1 recommendation

Kerodo

said by Mr Guy :

What did you expect. Did the Windows 8 haters honestly expect Windows 9 to be more like Windows 7/XP? MS isn't going backwards. I guess the Windows 7 crowd will just have to keep using Windows 7 until Jan 2020 when MS stops supporting it. OR...... you can just get with the program and get used to Windows 8.

Or.... switch to linux, which is becoming easier and easier for the average user every day...
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

Did the Windows 8 haters honestly expect Windows 9 to be more like Windows 7/XP?

This is polarizing nonsense. One can express a negative opinion about the ergonomics of a design without being a 'hater'.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

said by dave:

said by Mr Guy :

Did the Windows 8 haters honestly expect Windows 9 to be more like Windows 7/XP?

This is polarizing nonsense. One can express a negative opinion about the ergonomics of a design without being a 'hater'.

Yep, of course one can. The "hater" comments are just Win 8 Fanboi politics, as usual...

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
What MS must realize that Corporate customers will not jump on something that REDUCES productivity. Apple and Red Hat (and others) could try to push hard to fill that void.
Expand your moderator at work

Skipdawg
The Original

join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA

1 recommendation

Skipdawg to 47717768

to 47717768

Re: With Windows 9, Microsoft may finally forget the past

Windows 8 reminds me of the oops Microsoft had with ME. As with ME I went back to 98SE and I am back to 7 after 3 months of 8 annoying me.

2015 when ready to retire this Desktop I may just go all Linux. If there is no 9 that is rocking things close to right.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit

2 recommendations

Kramer

Mod

You may move to Linux, I may spend a great deal of time using my iPad. The next guy may buy a Mac. I know someone who exclusively uses a Chromebook. As long as the applications we need are available on the platforms we use, we enjoy using those platforms and the price is right, nothing else really matters. What are the developers thinking about all this instability? Would anyone really significant say no to MS?

The world is losing device dependance to the cloud and innovation. Microsoft sees this but I am not 100% sure they are reacting to it in a reasonable way. The version of Office released for the iPad last week is pretty darned good for what it is. Thanks MS, give me one more good reason to stop using the PC. The PC as we knew it, is dying. My prediction is that when Windows 7 meets its end of life in 2020, no one will really care or notice. They will have moved on. This is probably what Microsoft wants. You know what they say... "be careful what you wish for."

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Kramer:

You may move to Linux, I may spend a great deal of time using my iPad. The next guy may buy a Mac. I know someone who exclusively uses a Chromebook. As long as the applications we need are available on the platforms we use, we enjoy using those platforms and the price is right, nothing else really matters. [...] The PC as we knew it, is dying. My prediction is that when Windows 7 meets its end of life in 2020, no one will really care or notice. They will have moved on. This is probably what Microsoft wants.

I don't think this is Microsoft WANTS but they're not so blind (or big or stupid) as to be able to IGNORE it.
Expand your moderator at work
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: With Windows 9, Microsoft may finally forget the past

said by 47717768:

Eh, sounds like wishful thinking from a 'reporting on the food fight' perspective. Earlier reports indicated more of the move from Windows 8 to the 8.1 Update release and Microsoft showed off changes that make it easier to stay on the Desktop, including a Start Menu and more:
»winsupersite.com/windows ··· -windows

Win32 isn't going away yet -- they are still releasing free Express versions of Visual Studio "for Windows Desktop." In 2012, they got a lot of feedback when they didn't announce a WinDesktop version and ended up releasing one. Last year, they didn't even try withholding a WinDesktop version.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I'm sure Microsoft would love to get away from Win32! That way everyone who is running applications base of that technology would have to buy new Win64 programs and the new generations of those from Microsoft are in the cloud and you have to pay an annual subscription fee for them!! A model that I'm sure Microsoft loves.

Of course going down that road would work to drive consumers further away from Microsoft products.
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

psloss

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

I'm sure Microsoft would love to get away from Win32! That way everyone who is running applications base of that technology would have to buy new Win64 programs and the new generations of those from Microsoft are in the cloud and you have to pay an annual subscription fee for them!! A model that I'm sure Microsoft loves.

Of course going down that road would work to drive consumers further away from Microsoft products.

See dave's earlier post; "Win64" wouldn't be getting away from Win32, since they are pretty much the same thing and have co-existed in some form since 64-bit versions of Windows 2003.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to Mr Guy

Premium Member

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

said by 47717768:

I got classic shell so getting used to Windows 8 was quite easy.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Not offering a Win32 API to run 32bit applications, is probably a really bad idea. Even today, most games are exclusively released as 32bit applications, virtually everything offered through steam up until today, is 32bit. Even in 2016, or 2017, there is a good chance people are still playing games released today. I still play games released in 2009, 2010, so I dont think that is uncommon.

Hell, I still play the 2004 version of Sid Meier's Pirates! on occasion, it still runs perfectly fine on all modern windows version.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

DarkSithPro (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768
Since a lot of businesses just recently upgraded to Windows 7 and as pointed out are going to keep Windows 7 for as long as they can. Wouldn't it make complete sense for Microsoft to do a Windows 7 SE "Second Edition"? Like Windows 98 SE? They would include all the little improvements, newest Directx and decreased boot times 8 has, but keep the UI identical.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Kramer

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

The world is losing device dependance to the cloud and innovation.

Up till about two or three years ago, none of my web clients had any visitors using a mobile device. Today, 28% of their visits are on a mobile device and Microsoft products are none of them.