All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pen2guin3
join:2007-03-14
Youngstown, OH

pen2guin3

[Internet] Strange Speed Test Results....NE Ohio..

On TWC's Ultimate Tier (50-5) - I make it a daily ritual of checking my down and up speeds using TWC's own speed test. Lately (roughly 4-5 days) roadrunners speed test is showing my speeds at an embarrassing 12 Mbps down with uploads that are correct at 5 Mbps. Now mind you my speed tests have been spot on for the last year - no matter what time of the day it was. Last night I got fed up with only getting 10 Mbps and decided to do a chat session with tech support. Two hours later and countless trouble shooting steps attempted (including 20 more speed tests) I was given a case session number and was told to contact a higher support tier. After being on the phone already 2 hours I said I would call tomorrow sometime. So tomorrow comes and before I was about to call I checked my speeds again - yep an embarrassing 11 Mbps down using their speed test (their speed test was the right one for my area by the way). I then decided to check my speeds at speedtest.net and what do you know - my speeds are normal at 56.71 Mbps down and 5.30 Mbps up. So I jumped back on roadrunners speed test page and tested again - only to get those slow embarrassing download speeds again. For like 15 minutes I jumped back and forth between roadrunners speed test and speedtest.net and got the same results every time with roadrunners showing slow speeds and speedtest.net showing correct speeds. Kind of strange because roadrunners speed test results have always been higher for me in the past year consistently. Just reaching out to anyone who might know what the problem is and as to why roadrunners speed results are so opposite of speedtest.net..???? Thanks in advance....

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15

Anon

Click for full size

I'm with TWC NEO and my tests were all fine. I have 15/1 service.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman to pen2guin3

to pen2guin3
I noticed this a couple of months ago in my area. I just attributed it to them letting their server deteriorate. Using Speedtest.net, I get the exact speeds I expect. I also watch it real time in the router and it shows the speeds I expect.

I am in the DFW area.

asdf
@rr.com

asdf to pen2guin3

Anon

to pen2guin3
If you get correct speeds anywhere, then wherever you don't, that's the problem. If you consistently get it from speedtest at different servers, then the issue is the roadrunner speed test. Doesn't matter if you can download 50 if it can only feed you 12. Then your going to be limited to the 12.

But if you get 50 from several servers on speedtest.net you know your connection is capable of doing it, and is doing it. Another thing you can do is download something huge, maybe a steam game or something and see if your download rate is between the 6 and 7 it should be.
pen2guin3
Youngstown, OH

pen2guin3

Thanks all for your replies but still having the stated problems. Speedtest.net from several servers are spot on with my tier (50/5) plan I'm paying for. Also Speakeasy Speed test confirms the same results as Speedtest.net which is spot on. At this point I do believe Roadrunners Speed test is screwed up. My dilemma is whether I want to pursue this with TWC support staff regarding differences between their speed test and that of speedtest.net and speakeasy..???

larc919
join:2005-01-12
Raleigh, NC

larc919

It's up to you of course, but I wouldn't bother. Since other speed tests clearly show you are getting what you are paying for, this sounds like an internal TW problem. They are likely already aware of it, but maybe aren't concerned enough to be in any hurry to fix it.

asdf
@rr.com

asdf to pen2guin3

Anon

to pen2guin3
How is it a "problem"

One specific website you use is broken. Sometimes reddit goes down, do I call time warner and is it a problem? no. It's the internet. Some sites go down, some are slow, some suck. Your connection is fine, there is nothing more to look into beyond that particular site isn't accurate, so just move on to something that works.
pen2guin3
Youngstown, OH

pen2guin3

Sir I really do appreciate you taking the time for your input related to my so-called problem. Being technologically challenged - what I deem a problem myself might not seem like one to you. Sorry for being such a noob...