said by fg8578:

Portland hasn't been really successful in providing public network solutions
Remember MetroFI?
»betanews.com/2008/02/22/ ··· he-dust/

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

In fairness, I agreed with Portland at the time, and still do. They wanted an "open" cable modem infrastructure. Had they succeeded, we would have retail ISP competition over the last mile. As it is, we don't.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Everybody wants that, Portland just happens to have demonstrated multiple way/times, how not to get that done.
AND has generate public expense each and every time.
I only hope they are thinking VERY carefully what they are giving up and how they can/intend to deal with the conflicts the current plan will generate.
don't want them walking face first in to the windmill again.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to fg8578

to fg8578
MetroFI was NOT cable. It was the free wireless Internet company that got cities to give them millions. A main reason cities should not be in the internet business.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to tshirt

to tshirt
what gets me is they'll bed over backwords and change everything for someone like Google only to find out it's years down the road to even get the service- IF it at all happens in in 5-10years. Look at Austin- it's not started. KC isn't even half done.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Google may "win" either way, worse consumers may actually lose.
IF they (Google) can fool enough of the other players into abandoning their own business plans too instead try and match Google's unproven broadband investment plan, Google will still reap the major data collection benefit even if not first hand.
In return the existing majors could become financially unstable long before they can complete a meaningful rollout leaving many unserved with little chance of new investment (Google pocket aren't deep enough to rescue every new iProvo clone)
Race to the bottom (line) "gas wars" often do MORE damage to consumers/the marketplace over the longterm, in return what is sometimes a very brief benefit.
"I want it NOW" consumers are just as bad as "next quarter return" investors.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Google never really "rescued" iProvo. The city and tax payers are still on that hook. The only thing they got was $1 that didn't even pay for crap. The city gave that network away and the tax payers were stupid for allowing it. Google should had to have paid just like any other provider.

But if Portland was still serious about anyone else, they would have made it easy for any other true overbuilder to move in.