dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Oh the irony!I wonder.. »
This is a sub-selection from But it's for Google...

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

4 recommendations

karlmarx to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: But it's for Google...

That may be true.. But, that's just MORE reason for the municipalities to OWN the backbone, and let any ISP rent out capacity. Ever wonder why, I don't know, 35 or so countries have FASTER and CHEAPER internet than the US? Maybe because their governments OWN the infrastructure, and rent out the capacity. You do have a point though. The SOLE reason for a corporation to exist is to MAKE MONEY. However, much like the tragedy of the commons, what's good for the corporation is not good for the majority. First step, is to take away the 'personhood' rights from corporations. A corporation should exist SOLELY to collect money, pay money, and sign contracts. NO 'person' rights apart from that. As soon as you tell me how we can put a 'corporation' in prison for breaking the law, I will happily give them free speech and other rights. Until then, nada.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"But, that's just MORE reason for the municipalities to OWN the backbone, and let any ISP rent out capacity."

That's exactly how Muni networks should be run. The problem is that most of them have a business model that's focused on running private business out of business. Under no circumstances should your local government have a goal of running private businesses out of business.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by battleop:

The problem is that most of them have a business model that's focused on running private business out of business. Under no circumstances should your local government have a goal of running private businesses out of business.

Local government can and should step in to provide competitive services if incumbents refuse or charge exhorbitant prices. Competition is good even if its a muni system.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

no its not. Munis are NOT set up to compete. They are set up to provide a service that was not there. Otherwise you have them going bankrupt like they are currently.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to battleop

to battleop
They do not have a goal of running private businesses out of business.

They have a goal of providing core services to their people that those private businesses have failed to do. Which is why they want to do it to begin with.

I agree with what Karlmarx said. The muni should own the infrastructure and the businesses that have no interest other than to collect money should be the ones providing the services over it for a fee. I also agree that they should not be treated as a person.

battleop

battleop

"They do not have a goal of running private businesses out of business."

They most certainly do, but they are a private business and not the government so that's OK.

"They have a goal of providing core services to their people that those private businesses have failed to do. Which is why they want to do it to begin with."

Bullshit. They want faster connections to their end users so they can extract as much data as they can from those users to propel their advertising business. They are not doing this for the greater good this is just an investment in their profits.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Who are you referring to, munis or Google?

I addressed your previous message that appeared to be you calling Munis private businesses.

battleop

battleop

I was talking about Google. Many munis are operating like a private business which is wrong.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow to karlmarx

Premium Member

to karlmarx
I don't see them doing it but they could revoke a companies charter. That said I agree with you. A corporation can not do anything except what a human decides to do. Someone can take a billion dollars and start a corporation and that corporation will not produce anything with out a human doing the work.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

A city could not revoke a company's charter to operate that easily. Who is going to buy said network? The City? they better be ready to pay fair market value. Who is going to pay for all the of the content and network upgrades? There is a TON of money that goes into these networks, a city or state is not going to just do that, as others wanted states to do with Frontier and Fairpoint- well guess what- NEVER happened due to the cost and those companies would come out of court having millions of dollars paid to them.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to karlmarx

Premium Member

to karlmarx
said by karlmarx:

First step, is to take away the 'personhood' rights from corporations. A corporation should exist SOLELY to collect money, pay money, and sign contracts. NO 'person' rights apart from that. As soon as you tell me how we can put a 'corporation' in prison for breaking the law,

No normal person is in favor of that and the SCOTUS made it worse last week.
watch as the Koch bros don't need to subvert the GOP anymore, but can (and all ready are) advertising their own choices for congress at 1000 times what the parties can afford.

Not because they are good choices, but just to disrupt/distract the world from their own actions.
« Oh the irony!I wonder.. »
This is a sub-selection from But it's for Google...