Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

Continous Power Inverter

Is anyone using deep cycle marine batteries coupled with a power inverter and battery charger to power their sites as opposed to a UPS?

cevcrd

join:2010-07-17
Dominican Re
Hi!

Here in Dominican Republic we use in each of our locations several Deep Cycle Inverter batteries and Inverter/Charger because we have a very bad power grid with everyday programmed hours without electricity.

Very good brands of inverter/charger are Xantrex and Tripplite. We have several units of each brand and they work as expected.

For the batteries, we use a lot the Trojan and Exide brands (Wet Cell are the most common found here in the country), but you can use any DEEP CYCLE.

We have POPs running years from power grid and inverters without a problem!

Hope that helps! My .02s!

CEVC

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to wirelessdog
We don't use inverters anymore(we go straight DC), except for two POPs. This model has been in continues service for over 5 years: »www.donrowe.com/Samlex-PST-300-1···0-12.htm. I don't understand "...as opposed to a UPS", if you have a charger, inverter, & batteries--you have a UPS! Unless you meant an all-in-one unit.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to wirelessdog
Seems like a lot of work to just convert it back to DC again (Charger,battery,inverter,AC walwart,DC, Radio). If I had the space for batteries, I certainly wouldn't use an inverter. I would charge, then keep it at 12,24 volts for the equipment with a regulator going straight DC in to the equipment. Much more efficient and run times are much better doing it that way.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to wirelessdog
All fine and good to keep at DC unless you are running gear that isn't DC

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to wirelessdog
True, but again, I would keep everything else straight DC if I had room for batteries. The idea of an inverter is about as good as it gets in the case of a piece of AC equipment IMO. But I would be looking for a high quality device ideally designed for that purpose, and just large enough for the job. A lot of cheaper gear is just terribly inefficient.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to wirelessdog
I do. I put it in about 6 months ago, but haven't had a power issue since then, so I can't tell you how well it works.

We use the xantrex freedom 1000 and costco deep cell batteries. Best warranty out there.

foobar

join:2009-04-12
Canada
reply to wirelessdog
Been running a site with a Samlex pure sine wave for a bit now. Quiet, efficient.

gmcintire
Graham
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Blue Ridge, TX
reply to wirelessdog
I did this at a new tower we just set up. Everything is DIN mounted in an enclosure and we use »www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet···DRUPS-40 for battery backup. The DIN mount power supply is the only 120v device. We have 2 9ah batteries in series for backup, but could easily swap those out for larger ones. The only drawback is the ~2A charging rate after a power outage.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to wirelessdog
I think I'm just going to go with a traditional UPS since the site is on auto generator.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to prairiesky
You dont do manual failover testing?