uniqs
donhillLA
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Los Angeles, CA

donhillLA to ConsumerRep

Premium Member

to ConsumerRep

Re: [Internet] Arris SB6183 modem on the way!

Amazon updated my shipping date from Oct 29 to Dec 4, to November 4. Purchased on 9/28.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to boe_d

to boe_d
said by boe_d:

OK - Speed is where it should be now! 325x21!

Grrr... I still can't get better than 220 down.
winstars
join:2011-06-17
US

winstars to donhillLA

to donhillLA
Heeeeyyy, I purchased it on 9/26 and still no shipping date. But I am out of town until 11/23 so its OK. But if I was home I might have gone to Best Buy (by now) and scored one there.

Hopefully Amazon gets another shipment before I get home. I was stupid not to order one in August when it first was listed, all those people have gotten theirs I believe.

Funny things we obsess over these days!
boe_d
join:2003-10-12
Los Angeles, CA

boe_d to Suit Up

to Suit Up
I'm sure you've heard all of these before but when you test -
1. Make sure you are wired direct to the modem.
2. Make sure your antivirus and firewalls are disabled
3. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your nic
4. Try another device such as a laptop
5. Try booting in safe mode with networking

If all that still comes back at 220 down, call TWC.

TD
@76.173.95.x

TD to TD

Anon

to TD
said by TD :

FYI - I went to the Best Buy in Santa Clarita (SoCal) and they were out of SB6183's and had no ETA on when more would be in stock. There is a tag on the shelf for them so it should be obvious if they get more. They ordered one for me (free shipping to my house) and said it would be delivered on 11/05. The SKU is 9082019.

Big thumbs up to Best Buy. They estimated a ship date of 10/31 when I ordered it in the store but it arrived yesterday evening (10/30). Installed it last night and was getting fairly poor results (128 down, 5 up). Ran speed test this morning and it's flying: 323 down, 22 up.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to ConsumerRep

to ConsumerRep
ok i just got back from bestbuy btw they them in stock here ok now when am i suppose to get 100dwn 10 up? also whats the latest firmware for this modem ?
jack584
join:2014-07-07

1 edit

jack584

said by 91862239:

am i suppose to get 100dwn 10 up?

You will only be able to get 10 Mbps up if your area has been upgraded to Maxx. For this year those areas are Los Angeles, New York City, and Austin TX. If you are not in one of those cities you will not be able to get 10 Mbps up.

EDIT: Just read your post again and saw the question was when you will get it. I'm not sure when your area will be upgraded and I'm sure you already knew what I originially posted so this is a pretty useless post.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to boe_d

to boe_d
said by boe_d:

I'm sure you've heard all of these before but when you test -
1. Make sure you are wired direct to the modem.
2. Make sure your antivirus and firewalls are disabled
3. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your nic
4. Try another device such as a laptop
5. Try booting in safe mode with networking

If all that still comes back at 220 down, call TWC.

As I said before:
said by Suit Up:

It's the same through the router or a known good cat6 cable attached directly to the modem.

(tried it with 5 different computers, running Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Linux all the same thing). 220 is the best I've gotten. And I know these computers can all push more than 300 mbps through their NICs, I've seen it happen on my internal gigabit network.
TVPostSound
join:2014-08-22
USA

1 recommendation

TVPostSound

What are your numbers with IPV6 turned off??

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

Suit Up

said by TVPostSound:

What are your numbers with IPV6 turned off??

I only tried it with a MacBook Pro directly connected to the modem, but it was the same on and off.

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY to ConsumerRep

Premium Member

to ConsumerRep
People who are using the SB6183... How do your status lights look? On mine, the the Power (1st) and Online (4th) lights - I can't even tell- I don't think they are on or are some sort of solid soft white. My Receive (2nd) and Send (3rd) are solid blue. Everything works fine. However, when I read the user manual PDF, it says that the Power and Online should be solid green but it's definitely not solid green. I've seen what green looks like - when I reboot the modem - the RECEIVE and SEND are flashing green before coming solid blue - and it doesn't look anything like that green.

Just wondering if it's a non issue. Everything is ok and I'm not inclined to try to fix this if it's ok.

outtherenost
join:2001-05-30
Corona, CA

1 recommendation

outtherenost

Same here, it is a sad joke, here is the reply from Arris:

-------------------

Thank you for contacting ARRIS Technical Support Center, formerly Motorola Broadband Technical Support. I will be happy to assist you today.

I understand the Power and Online lights appear to be off while the modem is operational and I apologize for the inconvenience.

The front panel LED lights will illuminate only 3 colors: green, blue, and amber. The Power and Online LED lights will always illuminate green, however, when the Receive and Send LED lights illuminate blue for high speed Internet connection, the Power and Online LED lights may appear white and become dim. In some cases the lights may appear to be off. The behavior of the Power and Online LED lights appear on white color cable modems and it does not impact the functionality of the device.

The change in apparent color of those two lights appears to be related to how close the lights are to each other as well as the front panel design. The LEDs themselves still illuminate green. If you look through the vents in the front panel so that you can see the LEDs themselves, you should still be able to see the green lights.
------------------------

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim to JSY

to JSY

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY to outtherenost

Premium Member

to outtherenost
said by outtherenost:

The change in apparent color of those two lights appears to be related to how close the lights are to each other as well as the front panel design. The LEDs themselves still illuminate green. If you look through the vents in the front panel so that you can see the LEDs themselves, you should still be able to see the green lights.

Thanks for posting this. Every sentence in that response doesn't seem to follow the preceding sentences. LMAO!! But, I have to laugh at this because I actually went up to the modem to see if I can see any green and of course I didn't. I feel like they got me.
dropper
join:1999-12-12
Round Rock, TX

dropper

Oh, they are on, and per the response, it is correct. The blue lights are so bright, that they wash out the 2 green ones. You can see them better when the modem is initializing and hasn't locked the channels, yet.

JHB
join:2002-02-08
California

JHB to ConsumerRep

to ConsumerRep
Just picked up the SB6183 from the Valencia/Santa Clarita (SocCal) Best Buy. They only had one on the shelf. Manager(family member) checked the inventory and they have 2 coming in on Thursday if there is anyone out in this area.
vom53
join:2014-07-29
Garden Grove, CA

vom53 to donhillLA

to donhillLA
said by donhillLA:

Amazon updated my shipping date from Oct 29 to Dec 4, to November 4. Purchased on 9/28.

Did your modem shipped yet?
donhillLA
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Los Angeles, CA

donhillLA

Premium Member

Yes by UPS, set to be delivered tomorrow, 11/4.
thebigzeus1
join:2012-08-12
Austin, TX

thebigzeus1 to ConsumerRep

to ConsumerRep
JUST AN FYI IT IS NOW AVAIL ON BEST BUY WEBSITE!

»www.bestbuy.com/site/mot ··· p=1&lp=3
ViperJohn
join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA

4 edits

ViperJohn to ConsumerRep

to ConsumerRep
They are available in most BB stores near me now,

Viper

Yaesuman
@149.142.244.x

Yaesuman

Anon

hello all. This 6183 saga is crazy.
Long story short.
I have a Cisco switch sg200 26 port.
I have 2 airport express units for home wide wifi.

I was on a arris cable modem. I received sb6183 pulled the old modem inserted new and the whole network goes offline. No wireless. It's as if the apples are not seen.
When I plug directly into CM cable modem) I get a fat 320 d 25 up. Plugged into the switch everything works except for wireless. Before they were set to bridge and all was well. Now not so much. I got frustrated and pulled the 6183 and put the old unit back in. This really should be a plug and play deal. Btw I went into the settings page on the new CM AND SAW NO PLACE to adjust DNS or any setting really. Am I missing something? I had high hopes for the sb6183!! So much hype!! So hard to get!! Btw funny story. I bought my 6183 on best buy. They offered local P/U. When I went to the store the clerk told me that that unit caused a riot. Because it was the only unit they had and many people were there to buy one they literally were having people tell them they must sell them my modem because they were there. Mine was bought and paid for. And customers were fighting over it just because it was in a rack and visible!!!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Sounds like your old unit was a combo modem/router gateway.

The SB6183 is just a modem, a bridge, not a router, and no DHCP, DNS, or wireless functionality either.

Another Bozo
@173.88.13.x

Another Bozo to ViperJohn

Anon

to ViperJohn
said by ViperJohn:

They are available in most BB stores near me now,

Viper

I just got one (of four on the shelf) at the Best Buy in Findlay, Ohio. Why they would sell them in NW Ohio is strange, but I called and they said they had 'em. Drove almost 80 miles, round trip off my route, just to see and was very pleasantly surprised!

I suppose most, if not all, Best Buys got a delivery. Even out of the way places.
vom53
join:2014-07-29
Garden Grove, CA

vom53 to ConsumerRep

to ConsumerRep
Amazon updated my shipping date from Nov 22 to Jan 7, to November 11. Purchased on 10/22.

It looks like Amazon is stocking up on their inventories.

EDIT: or it may be people cancelling their orders and running to Best Buy to get their modems. Lol
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

1 recommendation

ViperJohn

said by vom53:

Amazon updated my shipping date from Nov 22 to Jan 7, to November 11. Purchased on 10/22.

It looks like Amazon is stocking up on their inventories.

EDIT: or it may be people cancelling their orders and running to Best Buy to get their modems. Lol

Just did a BB search for a SB6183 and they are available at

COSTA MESA CA
901 S COAST DR
COSTA MESA, CA 92626
Pick up today Wed, Nov 5 Order by 8 p.m. local store time

TUSTIN CA
2982 EL CAMINO REAL
TUSTIN, CA 92782
Pick up today Wed, Nov 5 Order by 8 p.m. local store time

I got mine at the Tustin store a week ago. I think you could probably hit the Costa Mesa BestBuy with a rock lol.

Viper
btv946
join:2014-11-07
Santa Ana, CA

btv946

Long time looker first time posting.

On 11/5 after i saw your post i did the search. they are available at Costa Meas and Tustin. Yesterday i did the search because i want to buy one, only two location Riverside and Mission Viejo have them i even call them to verify. So i decide to go pick it up at riverside store since i work in Pomona.
I also check at Amazon. On 11/6 the price was $199.

I did search just now, only Costa Mesa. Riverside and Mission Viejo no longer has them and $189 at Amazon.

I'm not sure if bestbuy inventory search is reliable.
Osofast240sx
join:2014-11-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

Osofast240sx

$129 at best buy what's with the $199?
btv946
Santa Ana, CA

btv946

$129 at best buy is good thing, but 6 weeks ago you can only pre-order at amazon.com at cheaper price compare to what they are selling now at $199.
ViperJohn
Santa Ana, CA

ViperJohn to btv946

to btv946
After BestBuy put the SB6183's on their website they became searchable by everyone instead of by just word of "mouth" here at DSLR as to which stores had them. It was to be expected that any stores that had them in stock would not have them for very long with such high demand.

They are still $129 at Amazon when purchased from Amazon proper. Of course you will have to wait for probably a month or more before it ships.

Viper
btv946
Santa Ana, CA

btv946 to Osofast240sx

to Osofast240sx
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· la+arris