Search similar:

uniqs
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to John Galt6

to John Galt6

Re: Strategies for Keeping XP - When You HAVE To Keep XP

Oh, c'mon now! MS is already going to be getting paid to continue producing patches - by multiple parties for doing exactly the same work, too, most likely. (I will re-iterate that it appears the a lot of this will be paid for through tax dollars, for government agencies and such.) I suspect that they will simply be unable to pass up the opportunity to make very easy money by selling these patches to anyone willing to cough up the dough. And they will no doubt try to pass it off as doing this only through the goodness of their hearts, too.
perryrpj
Premium Member
join:2006-06-14
Bedford, TX

perryrpj to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

If they are making these patches for paying customers anyway - YES, then why not leverage a few more bucks out of the general public ?!

After all, not buying a new Windows nor PC is saving us significant money, even by TODAY's price standards.

And it would give M$ a golden opportunity to test a new business model (new for THEM at least) on a receptive/captive audience.

Davesnothere--Excellent!!! I would still be happy with W2K Pro, if M$FT had kept the updates coming, and I could use 3rd party software for whatever I thought needed extra.

Darn, I wish I had your nick.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

1 recommendation

ltsnow to perryrpj

Premium Member

to perryrpj
said by perryrpj:

dib22, the only thing that keeps this system from running Windows 8, is that my cpu supports PAE, but does not support NX or SSE2 (but I may have a workaround for this).

If you ever find a workaround for this it would be the holy grail. Please let us know.
perryrpj
Premium Member
Bedford, TX

perryrpj

Premium Member

said by ltsnow:

dib22, the only thing that keeps this system from running Windows 8, is that my cpu supports PAE, but does not support NX or SSE2 (but I may have a workaround for this).

said by ltsnow:

If you ever find a workaround for this it would be the holy grail. Please let us know.

ltsnow--I certainly will. However, it may be awhile, as my first priority is to experiment, this weekend, with incorporating my XP image to my new Asus ROG G75VW-AH71 laptop that came with Windows 8 installed. I will be asking more in these forums about this possibility this week.

Itsnow, feel free to PM me if it has been 3 weeks or so, if I have not gotten back to you.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

2 recommendations

ltsnow

Premium Member

said by perryrpj:

ltsnow--I certainly will. However, it may be awhile, as my first priority is to experiment, this weekend, with incorporating my XP image to my new Asus ROG G75VW-AH71 laptop that came with Windows 8 installed. I will be asking more in these forums about this possibility this week.

Itsnow, feel free to PM me if it has been 3 weeks or so, if I have not gotten back to you.

I will and thanks. My CPU also supports PAE, but not the other two. Just for fun I would like to experiment with Windows 8, but have searched in vain for a workaround.
perryrpj
Premium Member
Bedford, TX

perryrpj

Premium Member

said by ltsnow:

I will and thanks. My CPU also supports PAE, but not the other two. Just for fun I would like to experiment with Windows 8, but have searched in vain for a workaround.

As you can tell from all my in place upgrade paths from W95a through XP SP3, I too like to experiment. If they say it can't be done, I like to give it a go. Did I mention that my path started with something like a 250 MB drive and, an AMD K6-233 cpu and FIC PA-2012 mobo?

Ummm.....I guess I'm enough off topic I need to start a thread in the proper forum.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3 to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
Some good ideas. I have an XP user who refuses to budge. I bought him Eset's Security Suite as he's used the AV for years. I'll see if I can get him to use SW Iron.

BTW, with a little work (tar BZ and GZ files) you can get Pale Moon and SW Iron on Kubuntu. I use Kubuntu for most personal stuff on the desktop. I no longer feel like bothering with MS BS. Now it's getting to be a vendetta. There are still some sites that refuse to work and you can't get support if you don't use Windows or IE.

I liked W2K, but it wouldn't support the newer graphics card I wanted for Adobe.
That's offline on an XP partition.
gnome84
join:2014-04-12
Saint Paul, MN

gnome84 to scross

to scross
said by scross:

I would say that Win7/8 is still at least 2/3 crap.

Sorta like the windows 7 share with nobody setting
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

3 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

said by PX Eliezer1:

I would gladly pay $ 50 a year for support.

But $99 every 12 years is out of the question? (the price to upgrade to windows 7)

No, an upgrade version of Win7 (as opposed to an OEM version) is more than that.

But that's not the issue---

Rather it's the hassle of existing software not working on the new OS, the danger of losing data, the PITA of having to reinstall everything, AND/OR having to buy 3rd party migration software to take care of some of those issues.

MS provided an in-place direct upgrade capability (preservation of all programs and data) from Windows XP to Vista, and also I believe they did that from Vista to Windows 7.

But their attitude about in-place direct upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 is "boys you're on your own".

So THAT is what I and millions of other people (including Her Majesty's government in London) are pissed about.

BTW, in addition to the software costs, you have not mentioned the hardware costs if more RAM is needed and so forth, SOLELY for this unnecessary exercise in planned obsolescence.
said by dib22:

But $99 every 12 years is out of the question?

Sales of Windows XP licenses to manufacturers ended on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010.

So it was being sold as recently as 4-6 years ago, not 12.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

Sales of Windows XP licenses to manufacturers ended on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010.

So it was being sold as recently as 4-6 years ago, not 12.

The unit being a 'Netbook' was not the qualifier for being shipped with XP.

Instead it was that it had to have certain models of CPU and/or chipset (which had less than a certain degree of processing power).

Look up the Compaq Presario CQ2302F.

It's not even a portable, rather a micro-tower, for lack of a better term, with the usual rear ATX jack array, but an external power pack like a portable PC.

I am currently typing this post on one of these.

It has an Intel 'Atom' series CPU like many netbooks did.

It shipped with XP Home/SP3, and originally contained 1GB of DDR2 RAM (mine now has 2), a 160GB SATA desktop profile 3.5" hard drive, and a desktop profile SATA DVD Writer drive.

I bought it at a Boxing Day sale in either 2009 or 2010, IIRC, for $200 Canadian plus tax, with keyboard and mouse, but no screen, but did not put it into service until about a year ago, as a (hopeful) hedge against power consumption.

It is not as fast as some of my other computers, but does well what it is meant to do, even today.

And it didn't turn into a PUMPKIN on April 8th.

But it IS assembled with those authentic and silly TORX screws which Compaq introduced to electronics.
perryrpj
Premium Member
Bedford, TX

1 recommendation

perryrpj to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Rather it's the hassle of existing software not working on the new OS, the danger of losing data, the PITA of having to reinstall everything, AND/OR having to buy 3rd party migration software to take care of some of those issues.

When I checked...a year ago, PCMover did say that their product would upgrade XP to Win 8. With the UEFI bios, I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but will either give that a try or run XP in a Virtual Box?

Using UEFI BIOS and running it in "legacy mode", as I do Windows 7, it very well could work. I dunno. I do know that I "upgraded" two of my XP SP2 boxes into one single XP SP3 box, years ago via PCMover. It went AMAZINGLY well, didn't even bork my AV, but I did have to reinstall M$FT Office, which they said to expect.