John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

3 recommendations

FCC Rule Change in 5GHZ UNII Bands

The FCC issued new 5 GHz rules to increase allowable power levels to 1 watt and allow outdoor operation. The order protects incumbent satellite users by placing limits on the amount of energy that can be directed up toward satellites.

quote:
The FCC voted 5-0 to adopt a First Report and Order that makes 100 MHz of the 5 GHz UNII-1 band "more useful for consumers and businesses, and reduce the potential for harmful interference to certain incumbent operations." At issue is the 5150-5250 MHz portion of the Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure (UNII) band, whose unlicensed use was restricted to lower wattage and indoor operations.

The order eliminates a rule that had prohibited outdoor operations in the band and also increases allowable power levels in the band. However, the FCC staff said that the order also protects incumbent users, most notably mobile satellite service, by placing technical limits on the amount of energy that can be directed up toward satellites. As another measure to protect incumbent users, the FCC is going to require companies to notify the commission if they are deploying more than 1,000 access points in the UNII-1 band.
»www.fiercewireless.com/story/fcc···14-03-31

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to John Galt
Good news for WISPs in USA. I am sure Industry Canada will follow FCC.

Now how to get more unlicensed spectrum in the 2-3Ghz range?

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
reply to John Galt
So am I reading this right? At 5.15 – 5.25 GHz, with an antenna of 23 dBi I can now legally go for an EIRP of 53 dBm?

"FCC 14-30

(iii) For fixed point-to-point access points operating in the band 5.15 – 5.25 GHz, the maximum
conducted output power over the frequency band of operation shall not exceed 1 W. Fixed point-to-point
U-NII devices may employ antennas with directional gain up to 23 dBi without any corresponding
reduction in the maximum conducted output power or maximum power spectral density. "

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
said by jim_p_price7:

So am I reading this right? At 5.15 – 5.25 GHz, with an antenna of 23 dBi I can now legally go for an EIRP of 53 dBm?

Yes.

The FCC test report should indicate that the device has actually been tested for 1W max emission at 5.15-5.25Ghz and was also tested with 23dBi antenna.

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
Thanks!