spc
Search similar:

uniqs
adamtech78
join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

[X1-X2] DVR shows audio video out of sync

Had the X1 any room DVR plus extra box for a year.
Some shows recorded to DVR when played have audio and video out of sync for half a second. Audio is quicker.
I had tons of other issues: boxes freezing needed reboot every few days. That I hope went away for good when tech ran new line for the DVR box, but last night the other box was not responsive, had to power cycle.

Any ideas?
I'm triple play member. Rarely use phone. Internet connection is fine.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

So many possibilities. Are you using HDMI and if so how old is the cable. Are you using an A/V receiver and if so are you using HDMI or some other audio connection? How old is the equipment?
I ask this because it's possibly an HDMI sync issue such as one I found here »www.avsforum.com/t/76621 ··· mi-cable or it's an issue upstream from the broadcaster or an issue on Comcast's end.

Anonorigu111
@comcast.net

Anonorigu111

Anon

Single any room DVD plus single feeder box.

Both TVs use hdmi to receiver, nothing in between.

One tv is 3 years old, second is 2 years old.

Run from pole to outside box replaced 3x.
New run from outside box to DVD.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm a little confused, what do you mean by single feeder box, receiver, and outside box? When I mentioned age of the cable I meant HDMI cable. From what I've gathered it seems more like an issue on Comcast's end. Have you spoken to neighbors to see if they are seeing the same thing? Is the audio sync issue more prevalent on certain channels or time of day?

anonorig1121
@63.92.226.x

anonorig1121

Anon

What I meant is this:
from pole to the outside comcast gray box new line ran 2-3x.
Did not have flat screen before so the age of HDMI is age of TVs.

I have 1x x1 any room DVR and 1x feeder cable (able to play from DVR or live TV, but not pause live TV).

The coax run from the gray outside box to the DVR has been replaced recently. Prior to that I would have to restart the box every few days as the box would freeze up (lets say when I get home from work it would be unresponsive). The coax run to the second box I don't know how old it is.

The tech that was here last time was not very knowledgable about X1. I called dust service and was able to go from new guide to old guide.
I also had this weird voiceover like a third party narrative speech on the second box. This went away when a tech replaced something at the pole.

This is super annoying.
Not all DVR shows have the audio video delay but as example the new Cosmos show I want to watch has it and it's frustrating.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Hmm I see.
Is the audio sync issue more prevalent on certain channels or time of day?
adamtech78
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

Hard to say. I barely watch any TV. Constant house projects and a little toddler keep me busy. I imagine the Cosmos show was during primetime.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Oh so it's only occurring with the one show on Fox? Yes Cosmos is primetime on Sunday nights.

anonu1121
@comcast.net

anonu1121

Anon

Got home today and my main dvd box was locked up for several hours again.
Calling Comcast. I'm on hold for 26 minutes so far...

Last time tech was here who replaced the line to the main receiver was on March 17.
Since then I had to restart the second box once and main box 2x.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Regarding the freeze up it feels like either a hardware issue or a hardware configuration issue between the set top and the television or audio receiver. This may be far fetched but have you checked the manufacturers website for firmware updates for the television and audio receiver? I ask this because with my own television Sony released a firmware update that was said to fix an issue with Cisco set top boxes becoming unresponsive, so I was thinking maybe a similar situation here.
adamtech78
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

Both TVs we have are different brand and models.
Both cable boxes are MoTo but different models.

I rarely watch TV, the show "Cosmos" two episodes I watched were out of sync watching on both TVs.

Both boxes freeze up every so often.
I have a Comcast tech come in Friday. I hope this one knows what they are doing and is actually trained in X1.
The last one right away pointed to a old cable and ignored what I said about the other box. I used to run cable a little at my previous job and what should have taken 25 minutes not including crimping took over 3 hours.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Good luck and I'm sorry you're still having trouble. I hope the tech on Friday will be able to resolve the problems.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

3 edits

Jan Janowski to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
Many possibilities.... I'm troubleshot many of those comments (for network,not cable)

I've seen TV Set firmware that un-lock A/V sync based on firmware. (Try Channel UP then Down)
I've seen same based on box output format (say HDMI is in sync but Component or compsosite isn't, or visa versa), which could be hardware related, but is usually fixed in delay.
I've seen device (Server or Cablebox) intermittently lock up in or out of sync, and that is random.
It could have been stored out of sync. (at least then it's repeat-able)

I've not seen HDMI cable cause that, if it works, it works.

1/2 second is pretty long... Unless a conscious effort is made to do this, broadcast gear is limited to +16ms to -256ms, and not all gear can advance/delay.

It sounds more like separate files are being used to store A/V files on a server somewhere, and they're getting out of sync on playback.

anondude1101
@comcast.net

anondude1101

Anon

So I left early work Friday and tech did not show up. I had a window of 5-7 and I called at 6:45, the lady told me someone would be next day at 11. 11 comes no show. at 11:30 I call and at first guy says I have a window of 11-3 or something like that, then he says that I actually have schedule someone for tomorrow (sun). Two days I have changed my schedule around this.
Today I included my wife into calling comcast and at one point we were talking to someone who would do a 3 way call / transfer to another senior member etc to clarify this. Guess what. During the transfer the call dropped. We have been on the phone with Comcast today for little over an hour total in 4 calls.

I have a little boy and today was a second nice day out. We were supposed to go to the park, instead I waited for a tech which did not show. I constantly have problems with TV service yet "I let it go" as each time I call it takes several calls to get the story straight. Support loves to "send a signal to the box so that this issue will never happen again"...
I have looked into Dish a little bit but their pricing is never clear. All they show is promo pricing but never anything after that.
I'm > this close from canceling TV and going Hulu Netflix iTunes route. My limited spare time or lack of should not be revolving around calling Crapcast.
adamtech78
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

Today, (Sunday) tech showed up on time at 8:15 (8-10 window). He quickly pointed to an old line going to the second box as the cause of the problems "introducing noise into the line".

The plan was to use the existing line and attach new feed to it. Tech was here for 5 hours and said that he can not do it as he lost the original line.
Tech told me to hire an electrician and then comcast would reimburse. I told tech comcast needs to schedule the tech. Tech told me his supervisor would call me by 5PM today.
5:18 comes and no call, so I call the supervisor and no answer. I call the tech and he says he will get a hold of supervisor who will call me back. 8PM no call, I call the tech and no pickup.

This is bad.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Wow, 5 hours. I would have thought they'd just remove the line that's the problem and run a new one.
adamtech78
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

Called the tech yesterday evening and he says his supervisor took a personal day off. (It would have been nice if someone would let me know, right)? And told me that he (the tech) will call me next day in the morning.
I think they are blowing smoke.
As it's past noon and I did not get a call.
In the meantime one box is down and the main box constantly freezes, and shows we could watch on demand can't watch anymore as it's not an option. Yay.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Personally I would have ditched the X1 and went back to either regular set top boxes or TiVo's. No one should have to go through as many problems as you're experiencing.

origpost1212
@12.236.169.x

origpost1212

Anon

Reason I went to X1 last May was because it was the last straw. I had problems with the previous box (I don't remember what it was exactly). I had one box at the time only.
Yesterday I had to call the "supervisor" who tells me he is contacting two contractors to see who can come in on Sat and run cable inside house.
That's only after again I was told he would call me.

I think they are just telling me what I want to hear.
I'm running out of time with all these appointments. I have family events to attend to...

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I know how you feel. I got screwed over by Verizon DSL with them making appointments for no internet and no telephone (lines were screwed up) then cancelling them without telling me stating they fixed the problem on their end (they didn't) so I end up missing class and wasting my time. They did this 8 times in a row. I told them if they cancelled again I'd cancel my service. They didn't show up so I went to class the next day intending to cancel when I got home, and I get a phone call from a tech asking to be let in. I told him he was a day late.

That's when I went to Comcast and have been pleased with the performance.

Orgpost12123
@comcast.net

Orgpost12123

Anon

Thursday and Friday called both the tech and his supervisor leaving voicemails.

Frustrated, called main Comcast line. Talked to a supervisor, and he tells me he can not do anything with the ticket as there is a supervisor assigned to this issue (the one who did not call me back, remember, let's call him Mr. S)
So I call again the main line and after being switched few times I talk to another supervisor (let's call him MR O).
Mr O tells me he will email Mr. S for update and CC Mr. S' boss as well as CC Mr. O' boss. Mr. O told me he would call me back by 9pm with some sort of an update. 9 PM came and went and no call came.

This morning I called Mr. O and his phone is off, as I get the voicemail right away.

Few additional things I have learned:
When you are asked by the automated process if you want a survey call back say yes - you have a lesser chance of the call drop at transfer.

When transferring from live person to another insist there is a three way transfer (both parties are on the phone plus you). I had one transfer straight to voicemail. I had another transfer that dropped.

When hearing the automated call back survey one of the options was to grade the last tech visit, and it mentioned technician induced damage. Now I feel this has happened as tech cut existing line which was not ran by Comcast, as well as left plenty of loose insulation all over the floors from walking into and back out of attic. At first the tech and supervisor Mr. S would wear the boot protectors, but after a while they decided not to. I had to prompt them to put them on. Yes our house is not the cleanest, but we did just get a new runner installed on the stairs about month and a half ago...

Am I asking too much?
Tech hinted he can run a new line on the outside of the building all around and enter the house from side visible to the street. I feel this would look horrible and lower our resale value plus cause potential issues as we have stucco.

I have ran coax and TP cable years back, and I believe installer made a fatal error by cutting old line right before it goes from top of basement up into attic. Instead OD splicing new cable down the line in case the two lines separate.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
I have had my issues with Comcast, but I must say, any time they ran cable in my house, or on my lot, they did a fantastic job cabling & cleaning up afterward. They have all been professional in that area.

(Literally, all cable was replaced last year, in 3 different stages, by 3 different techs, from the new tap on the pole to each TV. They also added new protective covers and ground connections outside when they ran new RJ11 coax between the house and pole, then switched to Quad shielded RJ6 Coax and new crimps and splitters for the entire house (except one cable).
It turns out the real problem was intermittent issues upstream of my house, at 3 different amps and one RF Tap)