spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hoarybat

join:2009-05-17
Ayer, MA

Router made me Sick need new one welcome suggestions.

Hi all. I got very ill and sick for 3 weeks and was not getting better. Retraced what I had done in the last 3 weeks only thing was I built a new office computer and the wifi router was within 2 feet of my body for 6 hrs. a day. When I moved router to the basement 20 ft. away and used a long LAN cable to plug the office puter into the router I got much better. I also put the damn router on a timer so it would not be on during sleeping hours. I'm seeking a router with configurable power-strength output and scheduling ability. Heard one or more models provide 10 levels of power choice, allowing one to drastically reduce the strength? but don't know which ones. Am aware of the ones which run WWRT and tomato etc. Just looking the cheapest alternative to do the latter to protect help protect me and my family and found this to be interesting showing the strength of signal proximity and health concerns: »www.emfwise.com/distance.php

Thank you so much

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 recommendations

There are no good studies showing any ill effects from wireless signals. There are lots of lousy ones and anecdotal but that is it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to hoarybat

MY AP was in my bedroom for 10 years. nary a issue.

there is no scientific proof that wifi does anything.

and honestly if you fired up a spectrum analyzer you see your are bombarded with RF from every single inch of your house. hope to god you don't us a cell phone you might die

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to hoarybat

If you got sick for the first time ever and after (3) weeks and moving the router away you got better, yes, it must be the router. Your analysis proves that.

Just curious - move the router back closer to you and see how quickly the effects of it hit you...

LittleBill

reply to hoarybat

»arstechnica.com/science/2014/04/···ntent%29

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to hoarybat

I would borrow 5 routers and put them close to your bed and see if you get 5x worse.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to hoarybat

sorry to read of your wireless experience. You need to get tested by your doctor to find out whether you may have chemical imbalances [zinc, iron, aluminum, etc] cause it sure sounds like you may be more susceptible to the kind of radiation being spewed by wireless transmitters. Best practice is to make sure that whatever wireless router you chose or end up with that it be placed at least 20 feet from you and as high off the ground [close to the ceiling] as possible.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to hoarybat

Do you have a tv, microwave, pc/laptop/tablet/cellphone or video game consoles w/ wireless controllers?
These devices (and more) all emit radiation.

Prove to yourself that its not the router, have a family member move it closer/farther away at random intervals over many days.keep a journal to record how you feel, see if your illness corresponds to proximity/duration of exposure to the router.

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to hoarybat

Out of curiosity, what were your symptoms?

hoarybat

Ayer, MA
reply to mozerd

I did. Complete checkup all was good as well as blood work and vitamins minerals at good levels. I had fatigue lethargy headaches all stuff I never have. Before I moved Router to office it was always 15-30 ft. away from wherever I/we were for the most part.

hoarybat

Ayer, MA
reply to DownTheShore

The ones I had herein and insomnia as well. I will ignore the sarcasm posted in the replies.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

This isn't being sarcastic but if you are actually getting sick from a wireless router then why are you even considering having one in the house at all? Install a wired network and eliminate the wireless one.

hoarybat

Ayer, MA

Wifey cant live without wifi as she uses tablets and laptops I need my own place it seems.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to hoarybat

Not sarcasm - skepticism - 2 completely different things and the latter is VERY healthy...

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
reply to hoarybat

Ignoring all the posts before and focusing on your "situation", my suggestion is that you get one or more routers or access points that are capable of running DD-WRT or another firmware where you can control output power. By getting these and strategically locating them in certain areas where your wife most commonly uses them might be able to help cut back your exposure some and provide enough signal for her to continue using Wi-Fi at an acceptable level. The variable output power here can be a key factor in reducing levels of exposure.

hoarybat

Ayer, MA

Sounds good. I will look into the cheapest or best value router which supports it.

Expand your moderator at work

OldCableGuy2

@communications.net
reply to hoarybat

Re: Router made me Sick need new one welcome suggestions.

This is a joke, right??

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to hoarybat

Wireless issues aside, any piece of electrical/electronic equipment can potentially give off low levels of noxious chemical fumes (including ozone), and/or generate upper-sonic/ultra-sonic sounds which may not be readily noticeable at a conscious level, but which can still cause problems for you. In fact, I have a relatively new desk fan which was giving me such problems in the beginning, to the point where I would become nauseous from using it after a very short while. The problem is starting to fade away now, but it tends to strongly recur for at least a minute or two every Monday morning, after the fan has been sitting there unused all weekend.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
reply to hoarybat

I would suggest that a visit to a neurologist is in order. Something aint right.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to hoarybat

If you're that paranoid just stop using wireless and use a 100% wired LAN, if it's a gigabit wired LAN it's faster anyway.

Now it is hard to find a consumer wired only router these days, so your best bet is to find the option to disable the wireless radio.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 edit
reply to hoarybat

said by hoarybat:

Wifey cant live without wifi as she uses tablets and laptops I need my own place it seems.

Tablets you're screwed, but Laptops have LAN jacks, I use my laptop on wired LAN even in my recliner with a 20ft CAT5e cable for the speed.

Maybe get a single channel single transmitter 802.11g access point (not a router) for her tablet that you can locate to the area she uses it most and she can turn it on only when she needs it instead of using a N router that has 2 or 3 transmitters in it always running.

Also, if you put your current router into G mode only that should turn off the extra transmitters leaving only one of them on which might help.

In the meantime, (I am being serious) you can make a tin foil hat, it will block the signals.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

LittleBill

said by TheTechGuru See Profile
In the meantime, (I am being serious) you can make a tin foil hat, it will block the signals.

yes once constructed please take a picture so we can confirm the construction was done correctly

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to OldCableGuy2

said by OldCableGuy2 :

This is a joke, right??

We all have different sensitivities and what cripples one person may leave another completely unaffected. In fact, they might not even think that it could possibly have an effect.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to hoarybat

While the effects of wifi on the general public are still in question, a distance of just 60 cm from an AP for 6 hours daily could indeed be harmful. We're talking about microwave radiation, as in the same type of energy that is used by small ovens to excite water molecules and cook food.

Granted, while the energy emitted by a wifi AP are three orders of magnitude less than that of a good sized microwave oven, it is the close proximity and prolonged exposure that are cause for concern.

As concerns the original question, Tomato firmware allows you to adjust output power on the router. I recommend the ASUS RT-N12 router for most folks with shibby's Tomato installed. Put the router up high and away from your work area, and adjust the output power as high as you need in your circumstances.
--
db

WillRegSoon

@optonline.net
reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

said by OldCableGuy2 :

This is a joke, right??

We all have different sensitivities and what cripples one person may leave another completely unaffected. In fact, they might not even think that it could possibly have an effect.

DTS for the win. If I could +1 I would.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS

said by WillRegSoon :

If I could +1 I would.

Click "actions" then click "like this" or "recommend" depending on which option it gives you.

Oh ya, you kinda need to be registered.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to hoarybat

Change to a 5Ghz wifi AP, they have been proven to not harm a person unlike the 2.4 Ghz ones.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by toby:

Change to a 5Ghz wifi AP, they have been proven to not harm a person unlike the 2.4 Ghz ones.

Citation from a reputable, peer-reviewed source please.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to hoarybat

As I posted in several places over the years...

There is no predictable or empirically observed mechanism or process in place, nor has it been duplicated in controlled conditions that shows WiFi is harmful.

Alas, the Salem witch burning metric of evidence still abounds.

I have a small 5.8 Gig AP on the right side of my desk and the ball of hand always hurts after a few hours. It had *got* to be caused by the WiFi radiation instead of the way I rest my hand on the mouse pad.

I have an AP mounted on my truck and my back hurts after driving six hours. It had *got* to be caused by the WiFi radiation.

I installed an AP at a grain mill and started sneezing. It had *got* to be caused by the WiFi.

I installed a hotspot in a restaurant and had to go pee after lots of iced tea. It had *got* to be caused by the WiFi.