spc
Search similar:

uniqs

xdotmatt
join:2014-01-02
Spokane, WA

2 edits

xdotmatt

[Connectivity] SBG6580 Intermittent Disconnects Access Denied issue or not?

Split from this topic ---> »[Equip] SBG6580 "Access Denied" ~sorto'

Mod Note: Hopefully either NetDog or netcool can tell us if this is related to the previous firmware issue or another cause.

It seems like the new firmware has some flaws still. Occasionally the modem go offline with the "Access Denied" status, then it will work again for a few hours. I got back from vacation on Thursday and since then, it has happened at least once a day.
xdotmatt

xdotmatt

Re: [Equip] SBG6580 "Access Denied"

It has happened twice this morning actually. I sent NetDog another IM about this, so he has my MAC address if needed. Tried IMing NetCool but as a previous person mentioned, he isn't accepting messages. Message to NetDog was sent a day or two ago. Haven't been able to get back online for the past hour.
xdotmatt

xdotmatt

Click for full size
Log showing errors
Click for full size
Current status once connected
After about 2 to 3 hours, the modem connected again. Attached is the log of the recent errors from the modem and the current status. I've redacted the MAC addresses so that it wasn't public.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 edit

Sunny

I am not seeing the "access denied" message in the log data you posted. I'm wondering if this is a different issue you are experiencing. Upstream power level is on the high side. That along with intermittent disconnects would cause me to start looking for cause of that high power level.

I don't have the SBG6580, so I'm not sure where that "access denied" message would appear. Perhaps not in the log?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

I don't have the SBG6580, so I'm not sure where that "access denied" message would appear. Perhaps not in the log?

FYI, I don't have an SBG6580 either, but I seem to recall seeing some posts describing the Access Denied status as being displayed in the Connectivity State and/or Boot State Comments column in the Startup Procedure status display.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Perhaps in the Startup Procedure section, where his screenie shows Connectivity State OK Operational ?

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt to Sunny

to Sunny
The Access Denied message appears in the Connectivity State when it isn't connected. It just went out again and in the log it showed the "Unicast Ranging Received Abort Message" error. I can upload that log and what info looks like when it gets "kicked off".

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to NetFixer

to NetFixer
This copy/paste from one of the beginning posts in this topic confirms, yes, the access denied message did appear just where you said.

See ---> »Re: SBG6580 "Access Denied"

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel Locked
Connectivity State In Progress Access Denied
Boot State In Progress Unknown
Configuration File
Security Disabled Disabled

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

Click for full size
Status showing
Click for full size
Log at the time it cut out - yellow highlighted moment
Above are the screens during its disconnect.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

Re: [Connectivity] SBG6580 Intermittent Disconnects Access Denied issue or not?

Click for full size
Levels without the splitter
Per netcool's suggestion, I removed the splitter I've been using and these are the levels I get now.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Nice improvement on the US power. So, are you going to ask Comcast to replace the splitter if this holds?

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

Waiting to see what netcool suggests next. I'm curious is the cable could be the culprit too. I'm using a different one that went from the jack to the splitter. I kind of need the splitter if I want both cable and internet.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

Ask him. Splitters can go bad or even not be best quality to begin with. Comcast will give you a quality splitter if you ask.

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

He did say the splitter I am using looks to be a good quality one - Extreme Broadband Engineering BDS102H

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny

It probably is good quality, especially if originally supplied by Comcast. It could have gone bad, though. You can experiment with swapping cables in and out if you think it might be a cable. Always, one thing changed at a time. If you change both cable and splitter, how can you know which made the difference?

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

Going to use my internet without a splitter today to see how much of a difference there is. It does seem to be the issue. Called Comcast Support to speak about it and the rep told me they advise not to use a splitter at home. Said I should pay $50 to get a new cable jack installed. Same cost to have a technician look at the jack. Need to decide what I want to do. Will keep the post updated.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to xdotmatt

to xdotmatt
if he puts the splitter back in he will be at max transmit, which will keep causing issues.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to xdotmatt

Premium Member

to xdotmatt
Its always been suggested the modem gets put on its own line. Even the highest quality splitter cant defy the laws of physics.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Its always been suggested the modem gets put on its own line. Even the highest quality splitter cant defy the laws of physics.

That option is not always available due to local franchise (and/or MDU) policies. My business class HSI account was not allowed to have a separate drop to isolate it from a residential TV account (even a single splitter pushed the upstream power to (and over) the upper limit). That is why I was eventually forced to install my own bidirectional amp in order to keep my upstream power levels under control.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

Sunny to rody_44

to rody_44
You guys are the experts but I am left wondering why the splitter works fine here but not for him.

Cable comes to the house. Split two ways first. One split goes to three different cables which go to three different bedrooms, two for TV if wanted and one for the CDV modem. The other from the first two way split goes all the way around the house to the other side to a jack in the rec room. Another split there, one side to the TV, the other to my HSI modem.

My signals are about as perfect as one can get.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

You guys are the experts but I am left wondering why the splitter works fine here but not for him...

My signals are about as perfect as one can get.

The difference would be that your signals at the demarc are better than the OP's signals. I seem to recall you mentioning that you are/were an IT admin; surely you are familiar with the famous IT algorithm "garbage in == garbage out".

My situation with regard to signal levels was very similar to the OP's situation. At ~60° F my upstream power levels on all channels was usually ~51dBmv with a single splitter (required if I want to be able to use the Comcast TV service) between the modem and the demarc. And when the temperature rose much above ~60° F, I would get random reboots. I had to install my own bidirectional amp in order to compensate for Comcast's signal levels (because Comcast just said too bad...live with it).

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

1 recommendation

xdotmatt

Click for full size
Switched around modem and TV on splitter
It did stay stable off the splitter. Last night I wanted to watch TV, so I put the splitter back in place. However, I switched the modem and TV around on the two OUT connections of the splitter. Above is an screenshot of my upstream levels while on the splitter, simply moved to the other side. Maybe the one side is going bad?

I do have plans to pick up new coaxial cable and splitter later today from Comcast in case it starts acting up again.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

Are you sure it's a normal splitter, and not a tap? A tap will have one leg with a higher loss, and the other lower.

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

Splitter being used currently. Moved the modem to the left side for better upstream power levels.
said by andyross:

Are you sure it's a normal splitter, and not a tap?

Yup, it is a splitter. It is actually a good quality one that I've been using for months. Both sides state a -3.5dB.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to xdotmatt

Premium Member

to xdotmatt
said by xdotmatt:

I switched the modem and TV around on the two OUT connections of the splitter. Above is an screenshot of my upstream levels while on the splitter, simply moved to the other side. Maybe the one side is going bad?

I do have plans to pick up new coaxial cable and splitter later today from Comcast in case it starts acting up again.

Either that or you may have a flaky coax cable/connector, and this time you just got a better connection. If the high upstream power symptom returns after you replace the splitter, I would suggest a new coax cable to the modem might be the next thing to try (if you have not already done that).

xdotmatt
Spokane, WA

xdotmatt

I went to Comcast and picked up all new coaxial cables and splitter. I even got a 6ft coaxial cable for the modem since it was on a longer piece that was not necessary. Sadly, still bad connections with everything replaced. They did schedule a technician to come out though tomorrow to test the line. Will keep everyone updated on the issue and thank you to all those who contributed.

NetFixer - as a fellow IT person, I can say this may be the case of GIGO. All tests are pointing to it so we'll find out tomorrow.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to xdotmatt

Premium Member

to xdotmatt
The new firmware has issues, Arris is currently working on it.. I get to have daily calls with them on the firmware issue..
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
A seperate line is not a seperate drop. I was talking about a homerun. Im assuming his splitter is in the room.
rody_44

1 edit

1 recommendation

rody_44 to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
Firmware isnt going to change his high upstream and he already said his connection is stable without the splitter. While firmware may be a issue firmware isnt going to change his levels when he changes his splitter ports.