nu2this
NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this

Premium Member

amd based kit from tigerdirect.

i was looking at an old email i got from tigerdirect offering this amd kit for $449, which is now $520. I was thinking of getting this and slapping debian on it. It would be my first kit. Any thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations? Some people tend to say to stay with Intel...

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

I have run Debian on Intel and AMD CPUs. It performs the same. The kit should work nicely for pretty much anything you could want (standard desktop, file server, mail server, fry maker), albeit more power for some things than others. I would suggest getting a decent cooler, as I hear those FX-8*** series CPUs run hot.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to nu2this

MVM

to nu2this
I have bought several TigerDirect barebones systems over the years. All were with AMD CPUs and ASUS motherboards. My most recent one was 16 months ago and I didn't see any need to go beyond a four core FX-4300 CPU.

Here is that kit, but of course it's no longer offered.

»www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· atId=332

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to nu2this

to nu2this
said by nu2this:
i was looking at an old email i got from tigerdirect offering this amd kit for $449, which is now $520. I was thinking of getting this and slapping debian on it. It would be my first kit. Any thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?
Don't see anything wrong with it...

If this is your first kit.... I hope you know what your getting yourself into.. While this is pretty much plug and play... things can wrong easily with simple mishandling of components, putting a plug in backwards even if keyed...

This is not rocket science... again.. plug the right connectors into the right plugs.. etc...but simple things can ruin RAM, motherboards...etc...

I've built my own desktops and servers since Computer Shopper, remember them? And those HUGE THICK NEWSPRINT issues full of ads!?? LOVED IT! The web is just not the same...and mid 80's....
said by nu2this:
Some people tend to say to stay with Intel...
I avoid intel like the plague it is....

Always : AMD CPU, nVidia video... Always.

mrpuck
Premium Member
join:2000-08-10
Concord, MA
Asus RT-AC66

mrpuck to nu2this

Premium Member

to nu2this
I've bought from TigerDirect and Newegg. I recently built a tower with parts from »www.microcenter.com/. If you're going to roll your own be sure to check out »pcpartpicker.com/ .