uniqs
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Bell website refresh

Bell website got a refresh today. Their rate plans for wireless are the same, but broken out with more detail.

Manitoba plans have changed - it looks like they're no longer competing with MTS or Rogers, for instance, Rogers has got $75 unlimited talk, text, and 10GB data, whereas the same plan with Bell is $145.

What the deuce? Anyone got other interesting changes to point out?
bklass

bklass

Premium Member

P.S. Just 2 days ago I was on the phone with Bell inquiring about their plans, and they had the same $75 plan as Rogers (Telus only goes up to 5GB in MB - which is interesting since Bell rides on Telus network in MB)

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

Bell.ca is down for me... A bell internet customer. lol.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Yeah it just went down for me too, maybe they are in the middle of updating?

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

1 recommendation

Il Duce to bklass

Anon

to bklass
said by bklass:

What the deuce?

I guess too many people flew out to Manitoba to grab the better pricing, then flew back home to Toronto. There was a blog by this guy, Angelus Novus, who showed Torontonians they could actually fly out to Manitoba and back to buy the plan and recoup their airfare within a year with the savings and still come out ahead.

When word got around, some people on certain mobile websites, where the big 3 operate, started to get the better pricing when they b*tched about that blog post and lower costs. Employee's were privately contacting people to give them the Manitoba pricing saving them the flight time.

This is what I saw, and can be seen.

Guess Bell put an end to it.

I haven't noticed if Rogers was doing the same and giving Manitoba pricing to Torontonians. Didn't look. But Bell certainly was.

That is my best guess as to, "what the deuce", is. Angelus Novus woke too many people up.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

You don't need to fly to Manitoba to get Manitoba prices. This is system enforced. If you're willing to have a Manitoba number you can sign up for these cheaper plans anywhere in the country.

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce to bklass

Anon

to bklass
said by bklass:

Manitoba plans have changed - it looks like they're no longer competing with MTS or Rogers, for instance, Rogers has got $75 unlimited talk, text, and 10GB data, whereas the same plan with Bell is $145.

I see $125/month when I select Manitoba with: unlimited Canada wide talk + unlimited Canada wide text, and 10-gig shareable.

Same price if I change prov to QC.
Il Duce

Il Duce to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

This is system enforced. If you're willing to have a Manitoba number

No Clue. I'm not into mobile. I just pay the bill. I wonder if the people who got the Manitoba pricing on the mobile forums changed numbers? I didn't see any one make mention of that while Bell employees were trying to please the grumpy people. Surely they would have mentioned it in the forums as other were asking to get the same pricing. But no one mentioned it that I saw. I didn't go out of my way to look into it either.

It was just something I saw and noticed while looking up info on Public Mobile and Telus. Made me chuckle. I didn't really look into it, but I saw no one make mention of this either.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass to Il Duce

Premium Member

to Il Duce
it's dependent on BYOD or subsidized - I priced it out at the full subsidy rate.

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce

Anon

ah ok. Yeah I did BYOD.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Il Duce

to Il Duce
If you sign up with a Manitoba number and plan the system will not let you change your phone number to any other region without changing your plan. There are workarounds though.

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to bklass

to bklass
I don't really understand their price. 6gb is a 65$ add-on. I pay less than that for 6gb and everything else included.

It's more than twice the price of my current provider for the same thing. Something must be wrong with their web site.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by vitesse:

I don't really understand their price. 6gb is a 65$ add-on. I pay less than that for 6gb and everything else included.

It's more than twice the price of my current provider for the same thing. Something must be wrong with their web site.

Or maybe they are simply adjusting for monopoly pricing once again. I would not be surprised if Rogers and Telus follow suit.

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

1 recommendation

Il Duce to yyzlhr

Anon

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

There are workarounds though.

Then I guess there were "work arounds". Because, from what I saw, not one single person stated they needed to change number. Nor did anyone even bring it up (I didn't go searching for it though).

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time Bell did something, or changed something, or reacted to something due to a "blog post". Seen this before in these very forums.

*shrug* Look at the bright side, Bell could have bought West Jet and Air Canada and increased the price of a plane trip to Manitoba instead, thus negating what was stated on the blog

While the rest of the world travels to sunny tropical locations, Canadians travel to igloo-land Manitoba for better mobile rates Aaaah... the strange wonders of being a Canadian...
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass to vitesse

Premium Member

to vitesse
said by vitesse:

Something must be wrong with their web site.

nope - I confirmed with a CSR over the phone. This is Bell's new pricing.

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce

Anon

said by bklass:

nope - I confirmed with a CSR over the phone. This is Bell's new pricing.

BTW, how did they justify increasing the price from 75 to 145$? Do they have a script for that yet? Did the CSR use it?
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Nope, they said they would be receiving training related to the new plans early this week.

And the CSR I spoke to at Rogers to find out if they had any plan changes upcoming insisted that they do not, and that they would be continuing to offer their current plans for the foreseeable future.

In my experience, the staff usually has an idea of whether near-term price changes are coming.

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce

Anon

said by bklass:

Nope, they said they would be receiving training related to the new plans early this week.

I look forward to seeing/reading how they justify doubling the price.
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

Their rate plans for wireless are the same

Unless I'm misreading something, the mobile data charges have in fact been reduced. I'm on the BYOD share plan with 15G of data. I was paying $140 (after BYOD credit) for the data, now the price seems to have been reduced to $105.

OTOH the BYOD phone increased from $35 to $40, and the BYOD tablet and hub increased from $5 to $10.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

The change that went into effect Sunday only deals with Manitoba pricing. Bell had 3 voice and data plus plans in Manitoba - $55 for 1GB, $65 for 5GB and $75 for 10GB.
Now they are applying their "rest of Canada" pricing to Manitoba.

This is not the same as the price changes that took place in March.
bklass

bklass to ings

Premium Member

to ings
And FYI, BYOD + 15GB is now $145. You can't only pay the "mobile data charge" so I don't see how it's meaningful to describe relative changes in advertised pricing of service elements, when the total cost has increased.

Significantly for Manitoba customers. Check this out:

Under previous plans:
1 phone + unlimited calling, text, 5GB data = $65.
1 phone + unlimited calling, text, 10GB data = $75.

Together: $140, or the same price you were paying for 1 BYOD plan.

Under new pricing: you get the picture.
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

said by bklass:

Under new pricing: you get the picture.

Ah, understand. Speaking only for Ontario I was paying $35 + $140, for 15G BYOD share plan, now it appears I'll be paying $40 + $105, so for me at least this is a price decrease. It's partially offset by a $5 increase for the other devices in the share plan.

Of course Bell being Bell I'll have to phone in to get the new price ... else if history is a guide they will merrily continue to charge me the higher amount.
ings

1 edit

ings

Premium Member

said by ings:

I was paying $35 + $140, for 15G BYOD share plan

My bad. This is incorrect, I misread my bill. While each additional device on the share plan has its charge listed separately, the "root device" has its charge bundled in the $140 and is not listed separately.

So were I to switch to the new plans, the equivalent BYOD charge would be $40 + $105 or $145 in other words a $5 a month increase. So much for progress beating down the price of mobile data. and :-(

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce

Anon

said by ings:

So much for progress

Progress is dependent upon which end of the greasy stick you get.

I doubt Bell is sad about it.

But hey, it's greased. So there's a bright side.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to vitesse

Premium Member

to vitesse
said by vitesse:

....Something must be wrong with their web site.

Yeah.

It's called GREED.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Il Duce

Premium Member

to Il Duce
said by Il Duce :

While the rest of the world travels to sunny tropical locations, Canadians travel to igloo-land Manitoba for better mobile rates Aaaah... the strange wonders of being a Canadian...

Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Il Duce

Premium Member

to Il Duce
said by Il Duce :

....But hey, it's greased. So there's a bright side.

How sure are you of that ?

Il Duce
@videotron.ca

Il Duce

Anon

Hey, Ben did you see this?
»mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/ ··· -and-sk/
and
»www.androidheadlines.com ··· ive.html

I went through all the promo's the other day when I played with the prices as a new customer. I even clicked on the "promo link".

What mobile syrup is showing did not exist.

Seems to me Bell re-added it. It certainly was not there when i looked at the promo link.

lol
Il Duce

Il Duce

Anon

oh I just noticed Angelus Novus also update his blog.

Also, that "voice and data" page was non-existent to anyone who went to sign up. Trust me, I clicked every damn link.

This is too funny.
bklass
Premium Member
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Yep, and I've been on the phone with Bell. They are offering 1GB, 5GB, and 10GB plans that were formerly shareable, but are now only for individuals.

The sharing plans they offer in the Prairies now match plans across the rest of the country.

So the statement that they have raised prices on sharing plans is correct.