spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eddy Strong

join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL

[HVAC] Replacement HVAC filters, where to buy them in bulk?

Where do you guys buy your replacement HVAC filters? I would like to buy in bulk at a discount and not have to run to the store everytime they need replacement.

I see my local Sam's Club has a Filtrette 3 pack for like $25, but don't carry my size...! I am referring to the 1" pleated, disposable, filters.

We don't have any pets and although the AirHandler is set to auto which down here means it's always cycling, I was wondering if those high number ratings for allergens, microns, etc. are really necesary or just a waste?

To me it seems like the tighter the mesh membrane the more restricted the airflow, making them even more restricted when they start collecting stuff from the air!

OMGWTFBBQ

@sbcglobal.net
amazon..

»www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Pollen-F···00P75WKQ

scroll down and look at the chart. at ~$8 each I couldn't find any better options even asking local tin knockers

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Eddy Strong

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Eddy Strong
At work we buy cases from the local HVAC supply house.

MNark
MNark

join:2003-11-10
Saint Charles, MO
reply to Eddy Strong

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to Eddy Strong
I need 10" x 19" x 1" filters.
I can only find 10x20 and cut them down.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Eddy Strong
I always go with the Lowe's/depot house brand which is something like Flanders Air. They have 3 packs for $8. They are basically the cheapest pleated filter available and suggested by AC guys out here in AZ. I go through 3 a month during the summer months (AZ A/Cs move a lot of air during the summers)
--
This Space for Rent...

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
reply to Eddy Strong
I've bought mine by the 1/2 case for years from »www.filters-now.com/. They have a reminder service and an automatic re-order service, but I use neither.
--
Mac

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

1 edit
reply to Eddy Strong
I have a family member in the business and he used to get me good deals on filters, but since I moved a thousand miles away - I am on my own now.

The first week after buying this house I changed them all out, and did it again once since then, but it's been about 6 months - so I know I'm overdue.

I need several filters because they are mounted in each return, as opposed to having one large filter at the air handler which was the case at my old house.

My house has small (12x12) returns in each bedroom and larger (18x24) returns in the "common areas" of the house. So, I need five of the small ones and two of the large ones each time.

I know I can do better price-wise than Lowes/Depot, just by taking a quick peek at the suggestions already given in this thread.

But, I'm trying to figure out how "good" of a filter I should use. We've got a dog and three cats. I don't allow smoking in my house, so at least that's not an issue. Right now I've got 3M Filtrete (not sure if they are the red or the purple).
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

huntermcdole
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk
reply to ttiiggy
said by ttiiggy:

... cut them down.

How are you cutting them down? I think I need a 20x23 or 22 as the 24 I just bought was a little to big.
--
01001000 01110101 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 01001101 01100011 01000100 01101111 01101100 01100101

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to ttiiggy
said by ttiiggy:

I need 10" x 19" x 1" filters.
I can only find 10x20 and cut them down.

That's an oddball size! Is this an older house? If not, I bet you can convince a 10 x 22 fit!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

ttiiggy
Premium
Bozeman, MT
reply to huntermcdole
said by Msradell:

That's an oddball size! Is this an older house?

Trailer house! Modular Home.
Coleman Evcon furnace. Filter goes in the door.
I don't know for sure if that is really how it is supposed to go but it seems like it.

said by huntermcdole:

How are you cutting them down?

Table saw. I set the fence ~1" and cut the cardboard back from 2 corners.
Jam the filter media in and bunch it up without cutting through the media so air can't bypass.
Duct tape holds the corner together well enough to get the filter into the door/frame.

ttiiggy
Premium
Bozeman, MT
reply to Msradell
It looks like I'm supposed to be using some kind of foam filter or Poly-Flo with wire retainer clips.
»www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanFilters.html

Eddy Strong

join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL
reply to Eddy Strong
thanks for all the replies