Search similar:

uniqs
Si31850
join:2014-03-28
North York, ON

1 edit

Si31850

[Cable] High latency different routers*

Once again, hoping the community can shed light on the matter because I know their agents can't.

I am periodically experiencing 2-3k ms ping (via cmd ping test) during random times of the day (so no, its not a peak issue thing) lasting anywhere between hours and days. And no, it is not just a ping delay to the site I used (www.google.com) there is an actual lag happening and it causes my download stream to drop to as low as under 1Mbps when I should have 6. The delay looks like upstream saturation but there's no one uploading or downloading anything. pingtest is consistent even when I have all devices close their programs that use internet.

I have switched and used 5 different routers. Even switching routers during the issue changes nothing.

Power cycling and restarting modem and routers usually don't do anything.

If I call teksavvy and they go through the usual power cycling reset modem stuff then test directly to modem, they tell me to call my router provider.
AND I have done that before too, my router provider was even nice enough to replace the router to try to fix the problem. Now having tried that to no avail, perhaps the community can provide some insight.

Modem: Thomson DCM476
Routers: (replaced once and current) Linksys E2500, (past) Linksys Wireless G broadband, (past) Linksys Wireless b broadband router, (past) Netgear WGT624

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

Re: [Cable] High latency different modems

Does this problem happen direct to the modem? Your subject line should say router instead of modem since you haven't tried another modem.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

said by RizzleQ:

Does this problem happen direct to the modem? Your subject line should say router instead of modem since you haven't tried another modem.

Yes it should say router.
This problem only happens when im connected via router. Doesn't occur when plugged into modem. But having tried 5 different routers I find it hard to believe its still the router

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ

Premium Member

How about the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router? You're not using the same one every time, are you?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Si31850

Premium Member

to Si31850
said by Si31850:

This problem only happens when im connected via router. Doesn't occur when plugged into modem. But having tried 5 different routers I find it hard to believe its still the router

It's not the router, it's something plugged into the router. There is traffic on your home network saturating the bandwidth.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

I've tried 3 different Ethernet cables rizzle.
DrDrew, I've had the router gone to the bare minimum of just 1 laptop on in the entire house. Anything that was directly hooked into the router was removed and its still the same.
Si31850

Si31850

Re: [Cable] High latency different routers*

Also, in one of my experiments in trying to isolate the issue. There was an instance where switching my old router had perfectly fine internet for a good hour or two, but now its as bad regardless of which router I'm using.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Are setting up the router the same each time? Is wifi on with the same ssid and password?

Any cloud services like backup being used on the laptop?

Also what make and model of modem? Some have wifi... Nevermind you listed that.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

1. Yes.
2. I have to check.
edit: no cloud services but my sister's laptop has a dropbox of some sort on her laptop that's putting files onto her laptop but this lag happens even when her laptop is offline or if nothing is being sent to her drop box

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Maybe a neighbor is using your wireless. Change the ssid and password. I hope you're using wpa2 and not wep.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

I change the SSID and pass frequently. Even locking use to specific mac addresses didn't change anything. And yes I used WPA2.

We do have a phone line that uses VoIP. But I've unplugged it before during the delays and didn't see immediate change.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

What speed package are you on?
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

Cable 6

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

That's probably your issue right there. Any minor activity upload wise (VoIP, emails with attachments several MB, dropbox/file syncing) will saturate the 256Kbps upload (0.25Mbps).

You don't have to take my advice but I would strongly suggest trying out the 25/2 package for a week and see if it improves your situation.

petermdodge
join:2014-03-31
Canada

petermdodge to Si31850

to Si31850
Are you signed up for the Zap the Cap thing? Do they offer it even for cable 6? Could be traffic shaping. Also check QOS ("Quality of Service") and Traffic Shaping options on the router. Could be rate-limiting yourself or something by some router default.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850 to TypeS

to TypeS
I've been considering upgrading to see if it changes things

@peter, i'm not using that zap the cap service (checked website), and couldn't find anything on the router settings that might of caused the lag
Si31850

Si31850 to TypeS

to TypeS
Question about my VoIP, even if it's not in use could it be eating away what little upload I have available?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Si31850:

Question about my VoIP, even if it's not in use could it be eating away what little upload I have available?

Most VoIP CODECs only go up to 80kbps for their highest quality settings (PSTN/POTS uses 64kbps) so if you have 256kbps upload, you should have at least 160kbps to spare. More than enough to handle pings if that is the only thing running with an actual call in progress.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to Si31850

to Si31850
No, but if you other stuff running that uses upload, it can all quickly add up.

Even sending something a simple as email with an attachment a few MB (megabytes) big can choke up your upstream.
Si31850
North York, ON

Si31850

But then the lag issue shouldn't be occurring over the course of hours/days now should it? Especially even if it was just my laptop running with no internet based programs and the phone not in use.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

1 edit

vincom

r u using same power outlet when connecting routers, if yes you could have local interference or dirty power, try another location, an outlet thats on a different circuit and/or on the opposite phase, turn wireless off when testing