pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 recommendation

pende_tim

Premium Member

[Rant] DynDns Free gone in 30 days

I just received an email form dyndns that the free dyndns service will end in 30 days. I am invited to get a paid DynDns pro account to replace the old service.

Yea, I should be thankful for the past 10 years I have had the free service that it has worked.

However do they appreciate the PITA it is changing dynamic/IP services on all my VPN connections, routers etc?

I understand it is a business decision to help them grow, but what not grandfather existing customers and make new ones join the paid service?

Having said that it is a PITA to change services, anyone recommend a good free one? If I need to change, I will move to another free service provided a good one exists.

Tim

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I've had good luck using the DNS servers from Google and it's free. A friend uses the Norton ones and has good luck with them, I think they are also free.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Thanks. I am using google for DNS lookup and they are great.

The service that is being shutdown is DDNS related and runs on my routers. It keeps track of any changes to my dynamic WAN IP address and updates a hostname with the WAN IP address.

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100 to pende_tim

to pende_tim
I got that too. I posted here »Dyn free ending; Namecheep as alternative? about possibly switching to Namecheep and using their updater service. It isn't on as many routers though. Could do a client on a PC as alternative. Router platforms like pfSense have direct support.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Thanks. Namecheep isn't on some of my gateways. I found no-ip.com to be almost universally supported however it has a 3 hostname limit so I will have to manage several signup emails.

Any thoughts on no-ip.com?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
I think you are mixing up provided services. AFAIK, Google does not offer dynamic DNS services like Dyn does (or at least for the next month). Both Dyn (branded as "Internet Guide") and Google offer public recursive resolvers, which is what I think you're describing. Unless I missed or misinterpreted some announcement, I don't think Dyn is discontinuing Internet Guide, although considering they're nixing the free dynamic DNS service, I wouldn't doubt it if they will soon nix Internet Guide too.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
DynDNS went to shit a long time ago, and I've long since moved to afraid.org. It's supported by Tomato firmware which I used on my WRT-54G. Since I moved and got FIOS (and stuck with the Actiontec piece of crap) I had to install an service on one of my computers to update it.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

A copy of the email I sent to DynDns this afternoon:

"Thanks for the heads up. 

I have been a dyndns customer for many years and it is with regret
 that I must sever ties with you. Sorry if I have been a
 burden on your resources even though there was no support
 asked, offered or available for free accounts.

Since I would need to change many of my
 dyndns hostnames to move to the Pro Version, 
 I have spent the afternoon re- configuring my
 routers and moved on to no-ip.com where 
service is still free.

Good bye..

Tim" 

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to pende_tim

MVM,

to pende_tim
I lost my dyndns account 2 months ago after I forgot to login after 30 days due to their stupid rules. I first registered my domain in September 2004. It was a pain in the ass to remember all the placed I used it and update it.

But now I don't feel so bad if they were planning to cut everyone off anyway. Good riddance.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
I'm using afraid.org as well. I imagine it's not supported out of the box on many routers, but I've been running Tomato for years and on that firmware afraid.org works perfectly. Never any hassles, guilt trips or need to login routinely to keep the account active.

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to pende_tim

to pende_tim
I'd sign up for a free domain here - »freenom.com/en/index.html , and set its nameservers to a DDNS company such as Afraid.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
Not being supported out of the box is a problem for me. I have a Draytek Dual Wan router that is very limited in what it supports.

I agree, on my Tomato boxes the choices are much more extensive.

Now if the Dual Wan version of Tomato ever sees the light of day as an open source, that would be a different story.
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli

said by pende_tim:

Not being supported out of the box is a problem for me. I have a Draytek Dual Wan router that is very limited in what it supports.

The 2910 is 8 years old and no longer gets firmware updates (the last firmware release was 18 months ago). But it still supports more dynamic DNS providers than most commercially sold routers such as ZyWalls.

The current generation of DrayTek routers support more than 15 DDNS providers, and has a customizable option to support virtually any DDNS provider as long as HTTP is used to post updates.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

I have a 2910 also but the firmware date is Jan 2011 FW rev is 3.2.5.1 and this only showing support for 9 DDNS providers. One is 3322.org which I understand has fallen out of favor....