spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC

Dyn free ending; Namecheep as alternative?

So I've been using the dyn.com dynamic DNS updater service for a long time because it was installed in many consumer routers for so long. Well...not that they are ending the free update service, I wanted to get some advice on a possible alternative. I see Namecheep has an updater and also hosts DNS.

I have several personal domains registered at GoDaddy and using Godaddy's DNS server to point to my services like google apps. Nothing is at Godaddy but the DNS records. How is Namecheep's DNS service compared to Godaddy? I know you can test for free but I would be willing to change registrations to Namecheep if the DNS service is similar or better and the Dynamic DNS updater works similar to dyn.com so I can keep access to my home services on dynamic IP.

Any other registrar or DNS service other than these two that you can recommend?

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
I’ve been using »freedns.afraid.org for years with zero issues.

F100

Durham, NC
Thanks Bink! I'll check that out. One of the my domain names is coming up for renewal so that is why I was thinking about where to register it and if it was time for a change.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
I switched to freedns last year and have had no complaints.

NOIPCOM

@charter.com
No-IP is a great free dynamic DNS solution. Learn more about us here »www.noip.com/blog/2014/04/07/wel···stomers/

pk232mbx

join:2010-03-05

1 recommendation

reply to F100
I too am losing the free dyndns host names I used as aliases but it was inevitable as they kept changing the rules in an effort to force the free users out while still saying they were going to honor the lifetime free host name commitment they originally started with. I think at this point they gave up the deception and just said no more. I for one now would rather pay someone else twice what dyndns is asking rather than sign up with them.

Fortunately I do not have to as I have over eight years experience »freedns.afraid.org/ with my registered domain name and I cannot say enough good about the service. Josh Anderson has always been very helpful and easy to work with. I would highly recommend his service

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to F100
If you are referring to Namecheap, I can tell you that I have been using their DNS (and their DDNS) for about a year for all of my domains, and I have no complaints with their DNS/DDNS services (although I wish they would hurry up on providing IPv6 DDNS support).

I use their own version 2 Windows DDNS updater on Windows PCs. I use a lynx cron script on my Linux server to update their DDNS service (you can also use ddclient, but I found that ddclient had problems with updating multiple hostnames).

However, you are probably not going to be able to find many (if any) consumer grade routers that can internally use their DDNS service (at least not with factory firmware).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Just as a data point, Shibby's Tomato firmware for the ASUS RT-N66 series router lists Namecheap as one of the built-in DDNS options. Factory firmware usually doesn't provide much (if any) support for DDNS vendors. Tomato lists 28, plus has a "Custom URL" option.

F100

Durham, NC
reply to F100
Thanks NetFixer and everyone else. I see Karl put this up as a news story today on the homepage. I have a pfSense box that I have been setting up that should work with the Namecheap updater. I just need to move everything off the Sam Knows router and make it an AP behind the pfSense box.

As to IPv6, that would be nice. I've got TWC for service and they will be the last to implement IPv6 anyway so that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me anyway. I guess I could always move the name that is coming up for renewal and test out Namecheap with a year renewal. I like the fact that you can setup vanity name servers. GoDaddy wants you to pay extra for this.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

1 edit
reply to F100
I just saw the story on the home page. I checked my email and didn't get any notification of this. It says some people will keep the free service. I wonder if I am one of them since I didn't get an email

So I just got the email. Now to decide who to use now.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to F100
namecheap works well, I have domains with them too.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to F100
I have used Dyn for about 12 years. It is a joke that they are canceling my account now when other free services still exist.

I will be signing up for another service today.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to F100
Yea kind of sucks that they are canceling it. I like having the option built in my router for their service but their is the only one built in. I'm not sure how I feel about running another program on my computer to update my IP.

The 5 year deal isn't bad. Only like $65. So I'm not sure now. I guess I have a month to make a decision

Uraki
Uraki
Premium
join:2003-06-22
Belle Plaine, KS
reply to F100
Well, you could try »duckdns.org which is free...

F100

Durham, NC
reply to F100
Thanks all. The name that was coming up for renewal in May I just moved to Namecheap. To try it out. Transfer was done in 30 minutes or less once I got all the emails from Godaddy to approve. The Namecheap page where you actually enter records could use a better looking design but it is functional.

Namecheap has been hit hard recently with DDoS attacks. First their V2 servers and the other day their Free DNS servers. Still sounds like a good service though if you don't want to pay for something like dnsmadeeasy.com for DNS service. I've just been using Godaddy's DNS servers and if namecheap is as good as them, I'll be fine with it.

Cool thing about having the DNS updater with Namecheap is that it updates the A record directly. I can reference that A record directly in stuff like a mail server rather than use a CNAME record like with DYN. Theoretically you are only down a few minutes if the IP changes. The updater in pfSense works great. The netgear SamKnow router I have with the sam knows firmware only has DYN as the updater.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by F100:

Namecheap page where you actually enter records could use a better looking design but it is functional.

Namecheap has been hit hard recently with DDoS attacks. First their V2 servers and the other day their Free DNS servers.

My biggest complaint with their DNS control panel page is that it does not support horizontal scrolling. I have vision problems and I need to magnify that page; but if I magnify it enough for easy viewing, the right side of the page disappears.

I went through the DDoS attack that stalled their V2 nameservers, but paying customers (who normally use the V2 servers), can also use the older V1 (FreeDNS) servers if they need/wish to do so. I made that temporary change on the day of the DDoS attack, and my DNS was back on-line in just a few minutes. Of course, if someone with evil intent and sufficient network resources decided to really take Namecheap (or anyone else) totally offline for a day, it would probably happen.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to F100

I run my own DNS server for my domain and have it configured to accept dynamic updates (RFC 2136) from my pfSense router. Rendering dynamic DNS providers obsolete.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to F100
Amazon Route 53

»aws.amazon.com/route53/

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by sk1939:

Amazon Route 53

»aws.amazon.com/route53/

Does that Amazon service provide support for dynamic DNS updating? A quick perusal of the link you supplied did not find any mention of dynamic DNS client support (if it does, I did not see it).
--

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Not client-based as far as I know, but you can do it.
»blog.michaelkelly.org/2012/08/re···-53.html

Cookie

join:2014-01-30
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

reply to F100
I think those that will be impacted the most with no easy alternative are those with routers with Dyn as the only hard coded option for dynamic dns (ie, many Netgear & Linksys routers), like my wnr3500v2. I contacted Netgear support a few weeks ago when I first heard about Dyn dropping its free service & as expected I don't think anything will happen because of it. At first the rep said if I needed a different service I could upgrade to one of their newer routers to which I said nope. I asked her to forward a request to the engineers to make a small f/w update that includes either other free options or to put in a custom url and she said she would do it. I doubt they'll actually bother doing this so if I continue to need the dyndns service I'll attempt to install a custom f/w on the router instead.

For anyone else out there following this thread that would rather not need to pay for a service that they're basically locked into because of the router try taking a few minutes to contact your router's support group. Maybe if they get enough requests they'll actually make the f/w updates they should be.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
ASUS has its own dynamic dns server which I have been using for a while. I think that many companies are investing in their own infrastructure or at least looking into it. Especially the more advanced routers that techies are buying.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Boooost

@24.190.184.x
Click for full size
I switched to no-ip because it's supported by my ASUS router. It works fine.

The funny thing is dyndns does not actually cancel the account. I figured they'd stop resolving the name. But apparently the account and name will live on, and the IP points to the above page.

shdesigns