spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sltyler1
join:2012-05-17
Madison, WI

sltyler1

Cable box default start-up channel?

Using my new hd cable box from Charter and every time I turn it on it defaults to their channel 19 running their charter commercial. Looked in the settings and couldn't find a way to turn this off.

Am I missing the setting or is there something wrong with the box?

Thanks!
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

IIRC, you need to call in the 800 #, and tell the automated system 'activate cable box' or something along those lines...
Then, it should work.
sltyler1
Madison, WI

sltyler1

Ah, that makes sense. I just moved and I didn't think they activated the cable box, but it was working, so they left.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to sltyler1

Premium Member

to sltyler1
Also, just maybe if you listen to the speel long enough, are they telling you that your area is to be upgraded to all digital TV at some date? I mention this just in case your box has been activated already. In my area, the box started acting just like your's recently and the "commercial" talks about the change over (for us) happening on 4/15.
sltyler1
Madison, WI

sltyler1

Yes aguen I believe that is the message that it is playing on repeat. Think it's just Charter?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to sltyler1

Premium Member

to sltyler1
If it is the kind of message I mentioned, then just listen to it for a bit, it will state what/when the changeover will occur. This message will be on that channel until the changeover actually happens. If you don't want the box to default to that particular channel in the interim, then don't power it off.