Search similar:

uniqs

JP08
@sargentlundy.com

JP08

Anon

Question on basement leaking

Hello,

I have a question in regards to some small leakage into the basement, keep in mind we just bought the house about a year ago.

We have 2 sections of basement - one finished and 1 unfinished with a concrete flooring. The basement has 3 sump pumps. 1 in the finished and 2 in the unfinished.

When it rains (fairly moderate levels) there is slight leaks in the unfinished side the the basement, mainly coming from some cracks in the flooring and some along the walls.

When it rains very very heavily the finished side will leaking from the walls a little bit also.

The house is not really on a hill and the end of the garden goes downwards but is a far away from the house itself. There are many bushes etc along the sides and back of the house (all the way around the house).

Should I be worried about this? I mean there are 3 sump pumps at work. The 1 in the finished side is always running and doing its job during rain time the other 2 in the unfinished side do not run so much (at least I have not noticed them working)

1. What kind of solutions can I do to stop the water coming down like this, I suspect it is due to the bushes and soil etc around the house

2. But not sure if there is really bad damage to the foundation??

I do not have too much money to fix this but if it has to be done then it has to be done.

Thank you

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

You definitely need to worry! Any home that has 3 sump pumps one of which that is constantly running has major water problems! The fact that you have leaks through the floor and walls when it rains further demonstrates this. You didn't state where you live and different kinds of soils make a big difference for problems like this. You certainly need to contact a local waterproofing expert to see what's going on before it causes more problems for you. This will only get worse over time.

JP08
@sargentlundy.com

JP08

Anon

Hello,

I think the one is always running since some of the water that comes through the gutters comes directly into the storm drains and not fully away from the house.,

I am in the suburbs of Chicago, IL,.
JP08

JP08

Anon

could snaking the sump pump lines help with the 2 sump pumps that do not work as much? Not sure if they could be clogged up or something
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to JP08

Premium Member

to JP08
Yes you should worry about it. The first question would be are you 100% sure that the 2 sump pumps that don't run as much work at all? Have you seen them work and I mean expel water, not just make motor noises.

JP08
@sargentlundy.com

JP08

Anon

i press the test button and the little water that is in the well does get removed. how much work they do I cannot be 100% sure.

should I worry of the stability of the home in a major sense? Its its very light and really its just clean water seepage.

thanks for the responses.