Search similar:

uniqs

Cisco
@bhn.net

Cisco

Anon

Powerline Units; great results

REPRINT......Said by BHNtechXpert
For straight wired the Nano 200 or 500 and for the the wifi version Netgear Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point (XWNB5201)

hey mods · actions · 2014-Mar-12 3:56 pm ·

**************************************Update

I shopped for the Netgear XWNB5201 and while doing so got an email from Newegg offering the TP-Link WPA4220Kit for 50% less than the netgear. Knowing Newegg has always been excellent to deal with (I know BHNtechXpert had issues) when it comes to returning a Product I felt like I should give the TP-Link a try.

The install\connection was a snap....I connected via Ethernet (did not close WPA)...it was as simple as plugging in each unit, pushing connecting buttons on each unit and they connected. They have been running for 5 days, no drops. But the great news is, the Wireless speed in my Family room which had been poor and very erratic with Dn speed averaging 15mb (have 60/5)....connecting to the TP-Link.....speeds using BHN speedtest....averages 55MB Dn. I toggle between the Home Network Broadcasting off the BHN wireless MTA and the TP-Link.....and every time the Arris' Network tests 15 to 20mb down, but off the TP-Link.....50 to 55MB. A few times I even peaked at67Dn. Up is still nearly 5.5mb.

We all highly respect the opinions of BHNtechXpert......and had I not seen the TP-Link Powerline for such a good price I would have gone with he Netgear Model.

I am really impressed with the TP-Link...I have never given much credence to any Product using House wiring, but this one has proven me wrong...it exceeds my expectations.....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Hey no offense at all. These devices are kinda weird. What works for one home may not work well in another. As you know my experience with them was ...well...bad but if they work for you thats all that matters especially when it comes to homeplug technology.

Cisco
@bhn.net

Cisco

Anon

You either have a Warehouse filled with goodies, or, you have a process in place to hand off stuff....you can add me to your list!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Cisco

Premium Member

to Cisco
Actually I had a need myself and the pricepoint was attractive so I gave them a shot. Since I already had the Netgear version of the same thing I had something to compare against plus hands on experience with all this stuff helps me help you. I would much rather test the stuff myself first than have you buy it then have the thing not work right and perhaps leave you with the impression that its our service causing the issue instead of the device (which happens often).....this is why I scream when I see people buying junk routers. Generally I am brand agnostic unless they happen to be the only brand that works really well at a given moment.

SparkyinCFL

MVM
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL

SparkyinCFL

MVM

said by BHNtechXpert:

plus hands on experience with all this stuff helps me help you

You got that right Gary! It's like 'pay it forward'. My desk looks like your desk, having one of everything that I support out in the 'family network'. LOL If there's something new needed, I start right here to see what's up before I leap.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to Cisco

Premium Member

to Cisco
I use the ZyXEL PLA407 HomePlug and they work great! I've been using them for over a year for my HTPC and Roku. Solid connection and very reliable. I would highly recommend powerline adapters over a wireless connection. Of course, your wiring in your home may vary results but overall it's been tested to be a much more reliable connection.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to SparkyinCFL

Premium Member

to SparkyinCFL
said by SparkyinCFL:

said by BHNtechXpert:

plus hands on experience with all this stuff helps me help you

It's like 'pay it forward'. My desk looks like your desk, having one of everything that I support out in the 'family network'. LOL If there's something new needed, I start right here to see what's up before I leap.

My Amazon streaming appliance is enroute....may arrive before I get home today.

SparkyinCFL

MVM
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL

SparkyinCFL

MVM

said by BHNtechXpert:

My Amazon streaming appliance is enroute

are we talking about the Fire TV? If so, I've had one since Friday ... I'm liking it!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by SparkyinCFL:

said by BHNtechXpert:

My Amazon streaming appliance is enroute

are we talking about the Fire TV? If so, I've had one since Friday ... I'm liking it!

That would be Fire TV yes.... I have some issues with the fact that it didn't include HDMI pass through for video instead of on a sep HDMI port but oh well.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Good luck with it. I purchased one and returned it in favor of the Roku 3. The software seemed a bit too glitchy, the remote was very noisy (minor) but overall I felt more value from the Roku 3 vs. Fire TV.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

I have Roku 3 as well , only one complaint though , netflix setup for binge watching TV episodes, the next episode automatically starts. I cant find any option to turn that off. but i guess thats netflix fault

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Are you referring to Netflix?

If so, you can turn that off by logging into Netflix on a computer, go to Your Account and then Playback settings and uncheck the box to automatically play next episode.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

Yeah was netflix, I was looking for the option on the netflix player, would have been convientient to have there , but thanks,
got it changed per your instructions.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I agree, it would make sense for them to have it on the Netflix apps as well. Glad you were able to get it fixed!

turtleguy
join:2014-01-30
Saint Petersburg, FL

turtleguy to Cisco

to Cisco
I tried powerline when a friend was having problems with wireless since his metal-stud walls seemed to block the signals. I put the powerline in and it seemed to work until I fired up the computer in the bedroom and it shut down the powerline almost completely. I replaced the power supply in the bedroom computer and the problem cleared up. Today I use the trendnet powerline product to stream to an Intel NUC in my bedroom and it works great! I guess the the original versions were a little more sensitive to interference on the line perhaps. But as stated before, you mileage will vary...

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
said by geo44:

I have Roku 3 as well , only one complaint though , netflix setup for binge watching TV episodes, the next episode automatically starts. I cant find any option to turn that off. but i guess thats netflix fault

And according to the TV add for the Fire TV, Roku can't find GARY BUSEY!!!

...sorry, just saw the commercial and had to post it somewhere.