IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Electrical] Car vs Utility Pole

I'm wondering who is responsible when a car hits a utility pole, the driver or the ratepayers of the poco. A car hit a utility pole in my neighborhood this afternoon and the police officers were talking about how much to bill WMECo for directing traffic and I was thinking they should bill the driver instead.

I just don't want to get stuck paying for this driver's stupidity in the next rate increase. Police said it was distracted driving.

But for your entertainment here are some photos.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

I know someone hit a utility pole during an ice storm when they lost control of the car. They wound up in the hospital with their injuries so not only had medical bills but was charged $1500 or maybe it was more.. for the pole. Don't know about other charges though and it could be just for my area.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Whoever is the responsible party for the pole will go after the car owners insurance

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
The drivers insurance company is responsible for all costs of the accident crash.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Ahh, this brings back memories. In my years of field adjusting paid for many utility poles. At the time 1978-1997, I seem to recall costs running in the $1500 range for a simple pole. For those curious, also paid for signs [large and small, in city, backroads, freeways] and guardrails. Area was PNW with just a handful of Power Companies in my territory and two main telephone companies and a few co-ops.

In your pictures, also paid for damage to trees and landscape too.

Cannot recall paying any monies to Police or Fire for any of their services, but since then, there is better tracking via computer databases, the great recession and other factors that may have changed that.

Even paid for damages to Trains, passenger and freight, a couple of times.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

The drivers insurance company is responsible for all costs of the accident crash.

This.

The utility, public works/roads, FD, police, and EMS will do cost recovery against the insured party.

If it's a hit and run, or the party is uninsured; then the municipality, and utilities absorb the cost; or in extreme cases, submit a claim to their own insurance...

The first responders also absorb the cost, as part of their operating expenses.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
Takes quite a whack to break a pole. I see one set of stop signs, is that a 4-way stop?

Any idea how fast the car was going? There are accidents and then there is negligence.

/tom

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

leibold

MVM

It seems that there is no stop on Oak street. There is no stop line in front of the crosswalk (but there is on the street with the stop sign).

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
The driver is responsible for all damages. That includes police and fire if they charge for a dispatch. Most police / fire departments do not charge for a dispatch or services in a real emergency. Taxpayers pay for these services to make the community, as a whole, safer.

The utility will bill the driver or their insurance company.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
The car was on the main drag, which has no stop sign. It landed behind the sign for the dog park.

It's not "officially" a dog park but many people take their dogs for a walk there and to do their business.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut
This is not a simple pole, it has telephone, CATV, and both primary and distribution electrical. It also has a high pressure sodium light on it to light the dog park.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

I saw that, just gave an average cost. Yep, this one will be a bunch more.

You'd be amazed as to the costs to repair a passenger train hitting a empty log truck trailer that had not fully cleared a private rail crossing by 1 foot. And how long it took to get the final bill.

Was that a car on its side in the middle of the street?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's was single vehicle.

In Massachusetts the state minimum on property damage is only $5,000, I carry $100,000 on my auto insurance for property damage. Bodily injury is 20/40 state minimum, I carry 100/300 and the same on uninsured and underinsured.

We're also a no-fault state which means if more than one driver is involved you file the claim with your own insurance and your insurance subrogates their loss off the responsible party.

And I'm sure with your passenger train incident you were adjusting injury claims.
raster44
join:2003-09-07
Niagara Falls, NY

raster44 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
In 2010 driver who knocked down utility pole was billed $8,000 for replacement in NYS.
System

to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
This topic has been closed. Reason: Unsuitable for forum