share rss forum feed

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

[XPPro] Talk about over dramatizing things

»www.pcworld.com/article/2140840/···old.html

I haven't installed any patches in over a year.

quote:
Microsoft hasn’t minced words painting doomsday scenarios of malicious hackers and cybercriminals having a field day with Windows XP PCs, unleashing a barrage of malware, carrying out ransomware attacks, and stealing sensitive personal and financial data stored in those machines.
--
GO PANTHERS~

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16

3 recommendations

If you can't make a product people want to buy, scare them into buying it.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Indeed........ A friend of mine who runs XP says he might not be online anymore...... I feel bad for him,he is letting the scare tactics get to him!!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [XPPro] Talk about over dramatizing things

Oh cry me a river please, they got a small one time payment for a decade of updates, and they're offering extended paid support for those actually willing to pay after thirteen years of support. They even gave three more years free to let people have more time to move off of xp, but still people procrastinated, otherwise did nothing at all to help themselves get off a soon to be unsupported operating system. They are a software company, and people are expecting more handouts after thirteen years? Nowhere did they promise lifetime updates for a small one time fee.

I'd tell you to buy a mac, but they stopped updating Snow Leopard after four years, that big ssl exploit wasn't fixed on Snow Leopard. Win 7 was released four years ago, and it's support is currently set to end in 2020.

Microsoft is cheap compared to others.
»www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html

So your free options are actually quite limited if you want major 3rd party support.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to ZZZZZZZ

As long as you have a firewall and AV you should be fine!!!

You should be able to run XP for as long as ya like!!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
reply to BlitzenZeus

quote:
Oh cry me a river please, they got a small one time payment for a decade of updates, and they're offering extended paid support for those actually willing to pay after thirteen years of support.
This isn't the point of my post............they tend to over exaggerate the importance of critical updates,like you'll be hacked immediately if you don't install every patch available.

It's total bs and you of all people know that if you've secured your machine and browser properly............updates aren't that important.

As stated I haven't installed one since the updates starting giving me more problems than they fixed,over a year ago

I even run W2K on a drive with the Sygate firewall...........and have had no problem for years.
--
GO PANTHERS~

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Well they are in the business to make $$$$$$ so thats one thing on thier side unfortunetly.... (They try to control all the cards) Its up to US not to let them!!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Well lets consider it this way, if you're running an old os you're not likely to try to run new software, but if the software like your browser is outdated it's possible it could be exploited.

I have so many bad memories of 9x, and early xp where IE was unpatched for some kind of remote exploit a good deal of the time. If you browsed the internet with IE on default settings, and no hosts file/etc.. there was a good chance you were one of the many who might have been exploited.

You remember the internet worms don't you? Unless you had a firewall, or your isp protected you they could exploit a service to gain root remotely. You didn't even want to do a fresh install connected to the internet, and I don't remember if 2k was even patched for it, however I remember 2k and xp were both effected. The least damaging, but just as annoying was the messenger spam. In xp sp2 they finally added a basic inbound firewall, but before then I was helping people with software firewalls to prevent it.

I'm not going to go over every little thing over the years, but hopefully you get the point. Those were some major events in their past that stood out for me. They were not mere scare tactics, but those internet worms I believe were a grey hat for Microsoft ignoring a exploit Microsoft released, otherwise somebody wanted to make a name for themselves. The worms were not damaging, just caused quite a lot of down time.

I'd have to look again for what it was exactly, but there was a remote exploit for IE recently. I'm not going to say any browser is perfect either, but if your software does get exploited your 3rd party protection may not be enough. Whitelisting can be even better, but still not totally perfect.

If all you browse are sites like this one you might just be ok. Other than a few websites being stopped by my web scanner which may, or may not effected me at all I haven't had to deal with known malware on my systems since the days of dos with mbr virii. I needed a anti-virus to keep the mbr virii that was spreading through the computer lab from getting on my home computer.

I've unfortunately had to clean too many computers other people have owned, something I hate doing actually, and if they keep doing it I'll let them fall on their own sword in the hope they'll learn to prevent it from happening next time, otherwise pay geek squad, otherwise some random socipath off craigslist. I just don't trust a system after a confirmed infection, and rather nuke and pave, otherwise possibly restore from a known good backup image.

I realize I'm at TL;DR now, but maybe you'll see my point. I error on the side of being pro-active usually. I don't want to have to clean my own system for some old flash, or browser exploit.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
reply to EmoHobo

said by EmoHobo:

If you can't make a product people want to buy, scare them into buying it.

You do realize Windows XP is 4 windows versions ago, and 13 years old? Although a user that knows what they are doing can probably still run Windows 98 if they want to, you do run a much higher chance of getting your system infected in Windows XP, as kernel protection didn't really found its way into Windows till Vista was released.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE

2 recommendations

reply to BlitzenZeus

I understand quite well what you're saying ..........but basically if you don't use I.E.,as I haven't for 10 yrs plus..........you're not as likely to be susceptible to any malware.

Most [99%] of machines that I clean are due to using I.E. and usually when I install another browser with some security protocols...........I don't get them calling back as often.

But I do understand that it isn't the norm for the average user to ignore those updates.............I'm just saying that Microsoft goes a little overboard with the ''sky is falling'' scenario and it's mostly because they want the customer to spend more $$$ updating to a newer OS and computer.
--
GO PANTHERS~

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to BlitzenZeus

I ran Win98 till after XP SP3 came out.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to BlitzenZeus

quote:
...as of February, Windows XP was on almost 30 percent of PCs
said by BlitzenZeus:

Oh cry me a river please, they got a small one time payment for a decade of updates

What the PC World article doesn't mention is most of that 30% is in Asia, so the irony is a good portion paid nothing.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Yeah, plenty of pirates early on, and the pirates didn't tend to install any updates as they might break their activation cracks, otherwise try to re-verify their key. I know for a fact people abused 9x, 3.x, dos, etc, which is why Microsoft had to go to activation, but in the days before burners people would just buy one copy for an entire computer lab, etc.

Don't copy that floppy!
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to BlitzenZeus

quote:
I have so many bad memories of 9x, and early xp where IE was unpatched for some kind of remote exploit a good deal of the time. If you browsed the internet with IE on default settings, and no hosts file/etc.. there was a good chance you were one of the many who might have been exploited.
Well Ill tell ya bud.. I am on 98se and I am glad to have a firewall!!!

Last week I had an attempt to list all files on my computer! (HTTP netscape directories) It was embedded on this site I visit regurally.. This one morning the site was very slow and eventually didnt respond at all!! -- I checked my firewall log and several INTERNAL ERRORS were listed (Like whatever this was put it thru hell) and it had added that domain to the auto blocked list... I went in and deleted the event and block and then I tried the site again and although was STILL SLOW IN LOADING,it didnt trigger my firewall again... I PMed a staff member and told them....... After this the site is fast as ever!!! (They must have corrected whatever it was)

Details: »www.iss.net/security_center/refe···ries.htm

Is it possible someone could have attached a trojan onto thier site so when someone loaded it it attacked?? (I load the site thru a page most ppl do not use so I suppose it could have been placed right there)

As long as the user knows what they are doing and keeps active-x blocked,they should be fine!!!!!

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

said by Dude111:

As long as you have a firewall and AV you should be fine!

Sorry, that isn't even close to enough. A firewall will protect you from a worm. AV software can only protect you from things it knows about. I highly recommend reading Mark Russinovich's Zero Day. If the name Mark Russinovish sounds familiar he was a cofounder of Wininternals Software, a little company that Microsoft purchased. It offers a wonderful example of how even doing everything right doesn't protect you from becoming infected.

Need to run as a limited user.
Do not use Flash
Do not use Java

XP itself isn't the problem, it is how it is used. We'll see in a little over a month how badly XP will be owned.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Well lets hope people will not do that..... If anything like that happens I WOULD BE WILLING TO BET MICROSOFT IS INVOLVED! (To try and get everyone off XP to a newer OS where they have even more control)

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to Dude111

You caps lock, and shift key is broken, again... Maybe you should look into that?

A firewall doesn't stop your software from being exploited, it's only supposed to filter ports, and ip addresses.

Yes even supposedly trusted sites can be hacked, and be used to distribute attacks. Sometimes ad networks don't vet their ads very well, and they let one some code slip in that tries to attack the users.

You can't assume you'll be fine just by blocking scripts, and activex on a dangerously out of date browser. No matter how many exclamation marks you want to add.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Sorry buddy,I will check my caps lock key

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to ZZZZZZZ

XP will safely thrive for years to come

Man, the recent articles on XP's demise have been so thick with BS. I have yet to find a practical guide for home users continue use of the OS. Some Mac Boot Camp users can only use XP (drivers weren't made for anything else) for dual booting.

It seems pretty simple to me to keep your XP system safe if you're on a limited budget:
* Microsoft Security Essentials
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
* Keep your plugins up to date, like Flash and Java

--
Marriage Equality | Consumerist

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

said by bbbc:

* Keep your plugins up to date, like Flash and Java

Nope, better not to install Java at all.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to bbbc

said by bbbc:

* Microsoft Security Essentials

Better change that out for Avast.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

1 edit
reply to ZZZZZZZ

said by Wily_One :

Nope, better not to install Java at all.

Unfortunately I use an app that requires Java and there is no alternative.

said by sivran :

Better change that out for Avast.

I prefer MSE because it's lightweight and free. For a commercial option, I'd recommend ESET NOD32.

MSE hasn't fared that well in recent tests, but combined with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I believe a system is pretty safe. My software observations were for those that can't afford a new system and/or are stuck with XP.

--
Marriage Equality | Consumerist

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by bbbc:

Unfortunately I use an app that requires Java and there is no alternative.

Yes that is unfortunate. Most people don't need it at all, but if you do you have to be vigilant with the constant security vulnerabilities.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Yeah, plenty of pirates early on, and the pirates didn't tend to install any updates as they might break their activation cracks, otherwise try to re-verify their key. I know for a fact people abused 9x, 3.x, dos, etc, which is why Microsoft had to go to activation, but in the days before burners people would just buy one copy for an entire computer lab, etc.

Don't copy that floppy!

I think pretty much every DIY computer builder did that at home before activation. I doubt anyone but a business who could get busted by the MS License Police bought multiple copies(MS License police could not enter a home but I remember hearing they had people who could go check businesses).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to ZZZZZZZ

I see it a different way. They have to cover themselves and provide loud warnings. Otherwise the press and bloggers will be all over them if something did happen.

Most of the MS employees working there now probably didn't have anything to do with many of the outdated products except probably having used them in grade school.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to bbbc

MSE is indeed pathetic. Might as well run Clam. Plus, didn't updates for MSE die last week too?
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Dude111

Re: ‏

said by Dude111:

You should be able to run XP for as long as ya like!!

Along with Windows 98 and IE6 right?
--
"Graffiti Wall" Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Microsoft is cheap compared to others.

Um. That's enterprise pricing and server pricing, not home users. Mac OSX is $30 to free. How much is Windows again?

Scroll down far enough, as I didn't, and you'll see desktop pricing is $49 so I'll ask again. How much is Windows?

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Dustyn

Re: ‏

You can install any other browser on XP and be far better off for it.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to bbbc

Re: XP will safely thrive for years to come

Are you sure any of that updated software will be available for XP?