All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sleepy_Eyez
join:2014-03-28
Canada

Sleepy_Eyez

[Cable] Most reliable Cable modem for TekSavvy?

I would like something fairly cheap without wireless because I have a router. DSL with 25mbps will not available in my area until July according to Bell.

Right now I live in Toronto and Rogers is very slow during peak hours. I will be moving to Pickering and don't want to experience the same issue with TekSavvy cable.

I'm waiting until VDSL becomes available unless cable prove me otherwise.

Please help me out because I'm moving in to my new place next Saturday.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

There really isn't any "most reliable". Motorola has the best name, but the DCM476 and DCM475 both have a great track record. Definitely best to stay away from the modem router combo units, but you have that covered already.

For the peak hour congestion.. We'd have to do some work to track down the exact cause. It could be wifi or something else about your internal network, it could be the local cable node, or it could even be something more central at Rogers.

Since you are moving, not much point trying to track it down. The issues will be all different at the new location.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to Sleepy_Eyez

to Sleepy_Eyez
Defiantly agree with Teddy Boom See Profile. It depends on the area, while Motorola has the best name, it can come down to the area. Here in Woodstock, for example back a few years ago the Thompson modems wouldn't even work, they could never connect to the headend.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to Sleepy_Eyez

Premium Member

to Sleepy_Eyez
Technicolor DCM 476 because it has 8x4 bonding, a fairly good track record, a hardware reset PIN, and it's the modem that TSI has sold for many years.
Sleepy_Eyez
Canada

Sleepy_Eyez

Thanks everyone,

Looks like Technicolor DCM 476 Will be a good fit for me.

Will I have issue with firmware? I noticed Canada Computers have less than $80

»www.canadacomputers.com/ ··· d=049438

If it didn't have the proper firmware how easy is it to flash?

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

You'll have a bad time if that modem doesn't have STAC.02.50.

No, not easy to flash by yourself unless you're into electronics and willing to learn. It would probably be best to reach out to someone with the tools and experience to do it for you like Pir8pete See Profile or Teddy Boom See Profile or mlord See Profile depending on where you live.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to Sleepy_Eyez

to Sleepy_Eyez
said by Sleepy_Eyez:

Thanks everyone,

Will I have issue with firmware? I noticed Canada Computers have less than $80

»www.canadacomputers.com/ ··· d=049438

If it didn't have the proper firmware how easy is it to flash?

If it doesn't have the right firmware, do not buy it. You don't want that headache, and it's so easy to avoid. Buy the modem directly from TekSavvy or someone else who can confirm it has the right firmware. Saving $20 is not worth the hassle.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Sleepy_Eyez

to Sleepy_Eyez
Not to mention Teksavvy has a 20 Dollar discount on the activation when u purchase the Modem direct so To Save $13 dollars you can have all the headaches involved in the firmware issue or p:) pay the money And have a very good time knowing it will work.

Most of pickering and such Have VDSL now So you may want to double check as that is possibly a Better option, Unless your after Speeds above 50/10.
Sleepy_Eyez
Canada

Sleepy_Eyez

I checked with TekSavvy and Bell and the fastest speed I could get is 7mbps download.

I'm willing to give cable a shot cause I do need internet. But if it drastically slow down I will switch in July.

I will not have cable tv at home. We watch everything on Netflix so I do need a faster connection.
Sleepy_Eyez

Sleepy_Eyez

Which hardware version should I get for Technicolor DCM 476?

2 or 2.1?

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

said by Sleepy_Eyez:

Which hardware version should I get for Technicolor DCM 476?

2 or 2.1?

It doesn't matter and is a moot point since you have no way of knowing which hardware version the modem is because it's not written anywhere on the box, the label on the modem, or inside the firmware.
ragingwolf
join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON

ragingwolf to Sleepy_Eyez

to Sleepy_Eyez
This modem has also been pretty solid, long as you have the below firmware version, but it is an older model and don't think its really sold much anywhere. It also only supports up to 4/4 channel bonding, so your tier choices with rogers may be limited slightly.

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

RizzleQ
Premium Member
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

said by ragingwolf:

This modem has also been pretty solid, long as you have the below firmware version, but it is an older model and don't think its really sold much anywhere. It also only supports up to 4/4 channel bonding, so your tier choices with rogers may be limited slightly.

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH

Uh, what? He's talking about the Technicolor DCM 476.
said by Sleepy_Eyez:

Good thing you're going with the DCM476 (unless you plan on going with the 150 meg package or higher in the future) because of what TSI Marc just said here »Re: Rogers New Speed tiers?

The DCM476 does 8x4 channel bonding so you're good to go in the future. Don't even consider a Motorola modem lower than the SB6141 since older ones only do 4x4 bonding.
Sleepy_Eyez
Canada

Sleepy_Eyez

thanks everyone for your help.
mbd84
join:2013-09-12

mbd84 to Sleepy_Eyez

to Sleepy_Eyez
I have the 475 with teksavvy and it has been perfect for bout a year so far, not a hiccup to speak of with the modem or the performance of the connection in any way that i can tell.