join:2007-11-28
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6

Premium Member

Ordering Uverse TV/Internet with POTS

Uverse TV/Internet just became available for me this week. I would like to add Uverse TV/Internet but keep POTS. When I call AT&T and talk to a customer service rep, they seem to mix POTS and Uverse Voice (VOIP) up and speak as if they are the same. Is there a way I can order online and specify I would like my phone service to remain POTS and not VOIP?

biotech
@sbcglobal.net

biotech

Anon

You "can" do it online but if you want to keep POTS, you need to call their number for POTS retention. If you want POTS after U-Verse became available to your area, you can ONLY do it by phone.

my thoughts to djc6

Anon

to djc6
Only order iptv and internet on line....skip VOIP section....should retain your POTS if with AT&t...if with another company will need to request transfer of number as Uverse cannot install if using 3rd party for POTS and/or DSL.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by my thoughts :

Only order iptv and internet on line....skip VOIP section....should retain your POTS if with AT&t...if with another company will need to request transfer of number as Uverse cannot install if using 3rd party for POTS and/or DSL.

yep as you know as long as the POTS line is with AT&T it should be fine.

I previously had AT&T POTS and ordered Uverse TV/HSI and they installed it just fine.

The only thing they can't do UVerse wise with having POTS is no combined billing. [or cheaper rate for having a Phone/HSI/TV bundle].
nitin00
join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA

nitin00 to djc6

to djc6
Any particular reason you wana keep POTS? You would most likely get better bundle with 2 year price guarantee and more cash back with the triple play bundle.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to djc6

Premium Member

to djc6
You can also let the CSR write a Triple Play order (IPTV, Internet, VoIP) and then on Install Day, when the Premise Tech comes to install, let him/her know you want to keep your POTS and to have the VoIP port-over portion of the order canceled
djc6
Premium Member
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6 to nitin00

Premium Member

to nitin00
said by nitin00:

Any particular reason you wana keep POTS? You would most likely get better bundle with 2 year price guarantee and more cash back with the triple play bundle.

POTS seems much more reliable, the cost isn't a consideration at all. This is at my parent's home; they've used 911 twice in the past 6 months for medical issues. I never want them to have issues with enhanced 911 locating them, or having them power cycle/troubleshoot equipment, or loss of service during power outages.

One of my elderly neighbors where I live has Uverse Voice and had to come to our house to call 911 during a prolonged power outage (days long) - his battery backup apparently only lasted about 5 hours!
djc6

djc6 to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

You can also let the CSR write a Triple Play order (IPTV, Internet, VoIP) and then on Install Day, when the Premise Tech comes to install, let him/her know you want to keep your POTS and to have the VoIP port-over portion of the order canceled

That sounds like a good way to have my cake and eat it too. The triple play bundle locks in the price for 2 years vs one, and I'd get to keep POTS. But if what Matt7 above says is true about not being able to combine billing, then it seems unlikely to work.

biotech
@66.249.113.x

biotech to djc6

Anon

to djc6
In addition to that, POTS is connected either to a Remote Terminal (an extender for the Central Office that is connected by fiber) or a Central Office depending on where you're located at AND that it's regulated or partially regulated by the state where you reside.

my thoughts to djc6

Anon

to djc6
Canceling a part of your service is considered breaking the bundle, lose discount, resulting in higher charges for remaining services. POTS cannot be combined for bundle or billing resulting in two unique bill statements.

Yes, voip battery life is around 4 hours fully charged.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Rumors of (past?) existence of a "discount" even when combining separate POTS & uverse:
»Re: Keep POTS line, get U-Verse for internet only?

biotech
@sbcglobal.net

biotech

Anon

I also asked this recently as noted below:
»Re: Keep POTS line, get U-Verse for internet only?

(NOTE: Although the title line is the same as brookeKrige, its different.)

blastgo
@comcast.net

blastgo

Anon

It's correctly stated that you cannot get a bundle price for 2 years if you do not have VOIP. Part of the goal is to move your parents to an all digital system. As to the battery backup as long as they have a generator in their house (which would be a better investment I think than a battery backup) their services will keep running. At least here in NE during giant snowstorms generators have been placed on VRAD's which has kept them up and running. UVerse VOIP and POTS are not run on the same billing system hiearchy (i.e. when you order Uverse it's why POTS is not an option). You can still get a 12 month promo on the double play though and keep them with the POTS for security though. I've seen plenty of people do that and I've seen lots go the generator route which to me seems to be the safest option for elderly parents.
djc6
Premium Member
Rocky River, OH

djc6 to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

Only order iptv and internet on line....skip VOIP section

This worked - TV/Internet hooked up, the technician never touched the POTS line. They are billed separately.
djc6

djc6 to blastgo

Premium Member

to blastgo
said by blastgo :

I've seen plenty of people do that and I've seen lots go the generator route which to me seems to be the safest option for elderly parents.

While a generator would be a nice to power the refrigerator, etc - I doubt my parents are going to use it and/or maintain it. Plus the cost of the unit, tying it into the breaker panel, etc.. The power doesn't go out for prolonged periods of time that often. Seems overkill when all I need is reliable voice communication
said by blastgo :

Part of the goal is to move your parents to an all digital system.

That is not my goal I love the stability of POTS. I've never had to troubleshoot their phone system.

Once I had to troubleshoot my inlaw's Time Warner VOIP. All that was needed was a power cycle their Arris modem, but my inlaws couldn't figure it out.

They unplugged power to the modem once they found it mounted to the interior wall of the garage, but that didn't power cycle it due to the internal battery - only removing the battery fully powered down the system. Once it was properly power cycled phone service was restored. Exactly the sort of thing I don't want to deal with, and I don't want my parents ever to have to deal with.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by djc6:

.said by blastgo :
Part of the goal is to move your parents to an all digital system.
That is not my goal I love the stability of POTS. I've never had to troubleshoot their phone system.

I believe he was recovering to that being part of AT&T's goal, not yours. The big advantage for AT&T is that the digital services are not regulated by state Public Service Commissions.