IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Tools] Going to Grandma's house for the funeral

We're going to Grandma's house for the funeral, it hasn't been occupied in nearly a year but her late husband's family has been stopping by to check in over the winter and last I heard the utilities are on.

In case I have to make emergency repairs, make a list of tools I should bring along for the trip. There is a Home Depot in town. And what surprises could I run into.

I'd rather stay in a hotel due to grandma's mobility issues but we have a cat and an 80 lb malamute.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

2 recommendations

chmod

Premium Member

A checkbook. You said this was a family matter and to stop replies.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Tool bag and tool belt.

Duct tape, metal foil tape, electrical, and pipe thread tapes.

Small, medium, and large adjustable crescent wrenches.

Small, medium, and large channel lock pliers.

Small, medium, and large vise grip pliers.

Inch measurement ratcheting socket set.

Inch measurement bits for ratcheting socket set

Inch measurement allen wrenches

Inch measurement screw driver set blade and Phillips.

Inch measurement combination wrenches

Bow saw, hand saw.

Multitool.

Utility knife.

Claw hammer, dead blow hammer, sledge hammer.

Tape measure

Cordless power drill and drill bits.

Cordless circular power saw with a few different blades.

Gloves, work and disposable.

Disposable coveralls and drop cloths.

Small notebook and pencils.

LED flashlight and head lamp.

Troubles: Toilet leaks and other plumbing leaks. If leaks have occurred you might need to repair rotting wood. You also might have to clean up mold.

no_one
@cox.net

no_one

Anon

If utilities are on most likely heat is on at least a little. If they have been checking on it most likely just dust is all that is an issue.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Was "..stopping by to check on it..." done by someone who had access to both the interior and exterior? Was it the examination thorough? Did the examiner just drive up, see the building had not burned down, and thus assumed everything was OK as they drove off? Did the person doing the checking walk around and look carefully at the windows for breakage or damage from items blown into them? Did they carefully examine the roof area looking for signs of damage?

I do not know the answers to those questions. I take the position that life sucks and will always present you with a bad outcome if it can. Its better to carry along a small comprehensive tool kit and not need it, then to get there and have to make a bunch of expensive purchases to fix things. I have a small tool box that can be rolled around like a piece of medium luggage and a large sized tool bag. All the items I listed could fit into those two cases.

I know a guy who carries slightly more than that list in his personal truck's tool boxes. He carries a small set of electrical tools and parts. Of course the elderly people he frequently visits due to his church's community program are always asking him to help when he goes visiting them, so he just decided to carry along enough to do basic house maintenance when he gets there. Anything more than that he goes back to get it from his work shop.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

4 recommendations

AsherN to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

In case I have to make emergency repairs, make a list of tools I should bring along for the trip. There is a Home Depot in town. And what surprises could I run into.

Absolutely nothing.

Until you resolve the ownership, don't sink a penny in the place.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

3 recommendations

pende_tim to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Red Roof Inn. They are reasonable price, take pets.

Leave the cat home with plenty of food and water and a couple of litter boxes. It will be good for a week.

If you are going to a funeral, the last thing you need is to spend your time making a house habitable. You are there to say hello to all the people you only see at "weddings and funerals" and say good by to Grandpa.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Have you considered the fact that since you haven't secured legal advice that you (Grandma) in fact might not have any legal authority to even access the home? Here you are with grand plans to make emergency repairs and to stay there. You might find real quick that grandma's deceased relatives have very different plans from yours.

You failed to take the advice of numerous posters on securing legal advice especially when you posted the relatives had a lawyer. You better be prepared to stay in a motel instead of the house.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

OldCableGuy2

Anon

Not to mention if the family has been checking on the place, they will likely feel that they have rights to move in. I'm not trying to be flippant, but 'dis gon' get messy.

Don't invest a penny in the place. About the only thing I can think of that would be worse than putting money in to a home you have no legal right to, would be putting money in to a rental.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Thread title says it all. Grandmas home comes first then funeral second.
No friends to check in on the pets if you leave them home. Dont think I would take pets on a funeral trip except as last resort.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'd rather stay in a hotel due to grandma's mobility issues but we have a cat and an 80 lb malamute.

And?!?!?!?! There are pet friendly hotels.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
I suggested putting the dog in a kennel because he can be a problem sometimes, grandma threw a fit.

I'm just as upset about this individual's passing as everyone else.

Unfortunately I'm the youngest one in the mix so I'm considered the baby. Someone told me grandma considering her age and position treats me as I'm still a child so it's like I don't get to call the shots even though I'm 30 years old. I'm the only one with a driver's license.

Preferably I'd like to stay in a hotel (allergies) since the housekeeping isn't up to date, but it's not my call. Grandma doesn't listen to me. And mom always gives into grandma.

Unfortunately I have to turn to this forum for advice.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

said by IowaCowboy:

I suggested putting the dog in a kennel because he can be a problem sometimes, grandma threw a fit.

Is the dog yours?

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Sheets, towels, soap, toilet paper, pillows. Does the house have hot water? Does the house have heat?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

3 recommendations

dennismurphy to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
The only thing to bring is your attorney's phone number.

You're causing trouble and drama. At a funeral.

You've already said things are contentious between the two families and I notice you don't call him Grandpa. ASSuming you're just going to move right into that house is going to stir the sh!t.

He may not be your Grandpa, but he's dad and grandpa on the other side. They're going to be a wreck as it is. Don't throw fuel on the fire.

Just my not so humble opinion.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Actually the mood has changed. He has no children of his own. My biological grandpa died at 40 before I was born from a heart attack. Blame smoking unfiltered Camels on this one.

They mentioned my family in his obituary, I think that was a nice touch.

Emotions do run high, I am sad too, he let me drive his truck he bought brand new that he wouldn't let grandma touch when she was still driving. We built a deck together when he was still in good health for one of his friends who needed a wheelchair ramp and got eaten by Mosquitos in the process in the Maine woods. He will be missed.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Click for full size
As a former Boy Scout, the motto is Be Prepared.

I'm bringing some basic tools. As for the pry bar, it's not to break in, I do have the key to her house on my keychain. The tools are for EMERGENCY repairs only (to make the house inhabitable).

The power drill will be handy in case I have to board up a broken window.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet

said by IowaCowboy:

That just means have a credit card on hand for something like this.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'm bringing some basic tools. As for the pry bar, it's not to break in, I do have the key to her house on my keychain. The tools are for EMERGENCY repairs only (to make the house inhabitable).

The power drill will be handy in case I have to board up a broken window.

What if his relatives have had the locks changed? Without legal advice you are walking on murky water.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

What if his relatives have had the locks changed? Without legal advice you are walking on murky water.

No, I see the pry-bar; he's prepared for that problem...

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I've seen this kind of situation get ugly twice in my family's history, and the one situation is still ongoing. People advising you to seek legal counsel are SPOT ON. You're going to see some people's true colors emerge, bank on it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
The deed specifically says "as joint tenants". And the family knows we're coming to the funeral. As I've said, they've made the funeral arrangements and we're mentioned in the obituary as survivors. His nephew even called grandma to get the correct spelling of our names, which I thought was a nice touch.

They know we're staying in the house. They have no problem with it. My previous concerns were about probate, and that is not relevant right now. Right now we're focused on grieving and remembering a nice guy a life well lived.

My concerns on this thread are about a house that's unoccupied but has had utilities maintained.

When my dad died I was not mentioned as a survivor even though he paid for me through childhood.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Dog and cat in a shelter. Grandma doesn't like it? You're 30 year old man, grow a spine.

Go to a motel.

The house is in probate. One family member already has a lawyer. The last thing you want to do is enter the property by yourself, let alone with tools. Because when it comes down to it, the relatives that have lawyered up will use that against you, as in, we seem to be missing fixtures, etc. Oh wait, I recall Iowa being there with tools.

On a more personal note, you must be one cold dude if you have the mental and physical presence to start home repairs while out of town for a few days for a funeral.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
A favorite old adage is "If theres a will, I wan't to be in it." Until this estate is probated, or an executor is named. Any conjectures you assume to be true may turn out to be a real ***** slap until an executor is named to handle your late Grandpa's estate.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Whatever tools you take with you probably won't get used and the one you should have brought will be at the house. Travel light, no tools, no need to pack, store haul and wonder which relative lifted it from your toolbox.
If something does come up and you do need to fix something just find the closest Harbor Freight and get some disposable tools that you can leave behind if needed.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
He was saying it has been supposedly checked on some. If the relatives are nearby they probably did check on it. Especially if they have been paying utilities and I presume the taxes etc.
Unless something just happened probably in good shape.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I don't see how when a living woman's husband dies, and she owned the house with her husband, it's not her house anymore? and she can't live there? that wouldn't make sense..

My world
@rr.com

My world to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
Too many here are looking at it from their own situation and not Iowa’s.
The difference between staying in the house and a motel is likely the difference in being able to go to the funeral and not going at all.
You assume he has a credit card or at least one that has a credit line high enough to cover costs.

Iowa has mentioned the dog is his Grandmothers, which make it her decision, telling him to grow a spine when he has no right or authority to make the decision is in appropriate.

And stop telling him he isn't showing appropriate remorse, he may not be or this may just be how him and his family handle it. You don't know him well enough to be passing that type of judgement.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

3 recommendations

robbin

Mod

I think it's cruel to suggest that an elderly woman going home to bury her husband should not stay in the home they shared.
That's where they lived together and shared their lives and being there will boost her memories of the life they shared. It is her home too and completely proper to return there for the funeral.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

1 recommendation

AsherN

Premium Member

It is a second marriage.
There are other relatives involved.
Grandma lives out of state and has for a while.
Cruel or not, the argument will likely be made that she abandoned her late husband and moved out of the house voluntarily.
When it comes to wills, nothing is ever simple. Or nice.