BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One

Re: [XPPro] Talk about over dramatizing things

Yeah, plenty of pirates early on, and the pirates didn't tend to install any updates as they might break their activation cracks, otherwise try to re-verify their key. I know for a fact people abused 9x, 3.x, dos, etc, which is why Microsoft had to go to activation, but in the days before burners people would just buy one copy for an entire computer lab, etc.

Don't copy that floppy!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

Yeah, plenty of pirates early on, and the pirates didn't tend to install any updates as they might break their activation cracks, otherwise try to re-verify their key. I know for a fact people abused 9x, 3.x, dos, etc, which is why Microsoft had to go to activation, but in the days before burners people would just buy one copy for an entire computer lab, etc.

Don't copy that floppy!

I think pretty much every DIY computer builder did that at home before activation. I doubt anyone but a business who could get busted by the MS License Police bought multiple copies(MS License police could not enter a home but I remember hearing they had people who could go check businesses).