spc
Search similar:

uniqs

synamingirl
@qwest.net

synamingirl

Anon

Dell processor swap

Okay so I have an old computer Dell Inspirion 537(stop laughing) It did have XP which we all know is ending tomorrow as far as support. I have upgraded to Win 7. It actually runs really well. It runs great in all aspects except that when my son plays minecraft it is constantly glitching and the same when we try to watch movies or youtube. It never did that before so not sure what changed other than more updated OS systems.

So here is the deal. We are poor, plane and simple so least costly route is required. There was a time in my life when I could have built a computer from the ground up. Not so much anymore and it has been a very, very long time. I have forgotten everything I ever learned.

What I am wondering is can I just replace the old Processor, 450, 2.2, 512KB Celeron, 35W, A1 with a new one and leave the rest alone? and if so, what would I replace it with and how? Or do I have to replace a bunch of other crap too along with it? Please advise.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

You shouldn't need to replace the cpu. Minecraft ran decently before? Did you download graphics drivers for it? Did you download the windows 7 chipset drivers for it? do you know what graphics chip/card you have?

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii

Mod

Windows Vista and later have more overhead than XP, which can be noticed with slower/older CPUs. Win 7 is not magic, it requires more resources to run.

Preliminary Googling shows that desktop may support Core 2 Quad CPUs.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to synamingirl

Premium Member

to synamingirl
RAM!!!!!

synamingirl
@qwest.net

synamingirl to asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

to asdfdfdfdfdf
Yes, I know about the chipsets, etc.... no I do not think I ran an update. Will try that. Not sure how to replace RAM. Any suggestions on what brand etc..?

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

Check the specs it says the max is 4 GB. I would definitely max out the ram and make sure you get dual-channel. I assume the CPU you replaced with is a Core 2 Duo?

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to synamingirl

Premium Member

to synamingirl
Make sure you have all the appropriate drivers installed, especially the video drivers.

How much RAM is in the box? If you have at least 2 GB, I doubt that is the reason things like youtube are glitchy and do not play well.

TBH it may just be showing its age. I still rock a Dell Latitude D800 laptop at home. Barely can play youtube videos at 360p resolution. Stream Pandora without hiccups and browse the web at the same time? Not happening. The CPU just can't keep up. But it can run Putty and RDP which is what I need it for most.

Open the task manager and watch the performance tab while streaming a youtube video. That could help determine where the issue is.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

asdfdfdfdfdf to synamingirl

Premium Member

to synamingirl
If you can tell us what graphics chip or card you have in the machine we can help you track down appropriate drivers. If you aren't sure you should be able to go to

Start button then Control Panel, click System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager

Under display adapters it should give you information about your graphics hardware.

I wouldn't rush and buy more ram until we are sure you have your OS running properly with proper drivers.

synamingirl
@qwest.net

synamingirl to Boricua

Anon

to Boricua
Yes, it is a dual core
synamingirl

synamingirl to Weasel

Anon

to Weasel
I will try the task manager thing and see if that helps. I did make a few changes last night and some Youtube vids worked better. Won't know til later when my son plays minecraft if that was helped at all. Thanks for all the good recommendations.
synamingirl

synamingirl to asdfdfdfdfdf

Anon

to asdfdfdfdfdf
Would be nice if I could just replace and install a few new things rather than get a whole new system. I just need it to work for another 6 mths to a year. A friend actually found this in the dumpster back in 2011 but couldn't figure out the password that was on it and gave it to me. I figured it out. Easy. Took me about 3 months to fix everything that needed to be fixed by searching online and watching a lot of Youtube videos. It has worked fantastic every since until my son started Minecraft.

Don't know if this will help or not but here is what I have:
Processor: Intel Celeron 450 @2.20GHz
Ram: 3.00GB
Graphics: Intel(R)G41 Express Chipset
Gaming Graphics: 1326MB Total Available graphics memory (maybe the issue?)
Primary Hard disk: 197GB free (283 GB total)
Number of Processor cores: 1
Direct X 10
Network adapter: Realtek PCIe FE Family controller
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

Premium Member

to synamingirl
ok, if you are sure that it is running the intel integrated graphics and there is no add in graphics card then here is a link to the inspiron 537 download page.

»downloads.dell.com/Pages ··· ml#Video

You can find windows 7 g41 drivers for both 32 bit and 64 bit windows 7

Here is a direct link to the 32 bit windows 7 g41 graphics driver on that page:

»downloads.dell.com/video ··· 4596.exe

Here is a direct link to the 64 bit windows 7 g41 graphics driver on that page:

»downloads.dell.com/video ··· 0088.exe

If you are using a generic windows graphics driver and did not install such drivers(either here or from the intel site) then this could be a significant part of your problem, especially for a game.

I would try these first. If they don't work then we can hunt down more recent drivers from the intel site.

To find out whether you are running the 32 or 64 bit version of windows 7 you can go to the start menu, then control panel, then system. There should be a "system type" line under basic information which should tell you the number of bits of the operating system.

If you have any problems or question don't hesitate to post back.

If someone will double check that I have not made an error somewhere it is, as always, appreciated.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to synamingirl

to synamingirl
Windows 7 will install necessary drivers for a machine that age automatically I believe, this is a single core Celeron however. You are OK on RAM for intended use. Socket 775 upgrade CPU's are really cheap now, make sure motherboard supports the one you'd be interested in.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

to asdfdfdfdfdf
The only thing I'd change would be getting the drivers direct from Intel to start with. They have a much newer version available and I'm positive they will install fine (I get drivers direct from the component manufacturer all the time with rarely any issues). Here's a direct link. Either way, it's a good start.

It looks like the PC will support many different CPUs, up to Core 2 Quads - 65 and 45nm versions, so there's some options there if drivers don't solve the problem. I see a bunch of C2D E8400s on eBay for around $15-30.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member

Premium Member

to synamingirl
"The only thing I'd change would be getting the drivers direct from Intel to start with. ...(I get drivers direct from the component manufacturer all the time with rarely any issues "

Fair enough. Just to note for synamingirl the drivers you linked to are the 64 bit drivers.

If the 32 bit version are needed the link is here:
»downloadcenter.intel.com ··· lang=eng

If you aren't sure which version(32 or 64 bit) you have installed synamingirl then do the check I give above.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to synamingirl

Premium Member

to synamingirl
I don't know what the inside looks like, but a GTX 750 probably would work as a video upgrade. If what I see on Dell's website is accurate it does have a 16x PCI express slot.

They can be had for $120+ on Newegg and they do not require a separate power connector. But with that CPU, if you can find a used one to upgrade, I would start there.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to synamingirl

Premium Member

to synamingirl
said by synamingirl :

Don't know if this will help or not but here is what I have:
Processor: Intel Celeron 450 @2.20GHz

Along with what everyone have said, I believe this is your choke point. Celerons are notoriously slow. I definitely would swap it out for a true C2D. One poster mentioned it can be had (an E8400) for about $15 - 20 on eBay. That CPU is a truer dual-core.