spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Nonsensei436
join:2014-04-08
Southwick, MA

Nonsensei436

[Equip] Yikes...

So I am moving to a location where my only option is comcast. We are looking into getting the triple play package with 105 Mbps and 80 channels.

There are two things that are now feeding my sense of foreboding about getting comcast service.

The first is that we happen to be in temporary executive housing at the moment, and the relocation company got us some xfinity package of unknown specifics. To be blunt it is pretty unreliable. One day in two you can expect to live with disconnects happening once every 10 to 20 minutes. This is especially problematic for one of the people I live here with as he runs an online music teaching business through Skype and such frequent interruptions are, frankly, costing him money. Also, a few days ago we were without any service for over eight hours. We never got an explanation or any clue as to why. It just went off and then turned back on with no indication of what had happened.

The second thing making me very hesitant is, to be blunt, reading this forum. Ive had several ISP's over the years. Roadrunner, some minor DSL company in Maine, and even a fiber provider (which was absolutely excellent). Never before have I felt compelled to delve into the technological aspect of my own home internet connection. I am reading here that the all in one gateway that comes with Xfinity is essentially junk, and that I should buy my own cable modem and router lest I risk not receiving the speeds I would be paying for.

But wait theres more! Seems that, according to another thread, modems not rented through Comcast will receive no tech support!

So not only do I have to research and buy my own modem in order to get what I am paying for, but I also have to somehow figure out how that whole thing works with sign up and configuration (since I've never owned my own cable modem before), AND i get to eventually find out possibly that they wont provide me with tech support because I am not using their device.

I mean honestly this is already a minor nightmare and I haven't even signed up yet!

If someone could be kind enough to post a sort of "So you're getting Comcast - for idiots!" help guide of some sort I would appreciate it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

You are reading too much into some of the posts on this forum.

Just sign up for the Comcast package that seems to meet your needs, and use their rental gateway box. I sounds as if you are exactly the kind of customer who needs to use a gateway box supplied (and supported) by the ISP.

I don't know why the connection at your temporary residence is so unreliable, but in general, the physical service provided by Comcast (unlike their customer service) is usually much better than what you have described; and hopefully you will not have such terrible service at your permanent location.

cheeseman
@comcast.net

cheeseman to Nonsensei436

Anon

to Nonsensei436
The process of activating a purchased modem: 1. plug it in 2. try to go to any website 3. enter your username and password on the modem activation page that appears. 4. reboot modem. There is no modem configuration required on the user side.

Comcast does not deny you support for having a purchased modem. They simply will not troubleshoot modem-specific issues.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Nonsensei436

Premium Member

to Nonsensei436
If you sign up with them now in temp housing will it be available where you eventually move to, in order to live out the obligated contract period you will be accepting.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by PeeWee:

If you sign up with them now in temp housing will it be available where you eventually move to, in order to live out the obligated contract period you will be accepting.

there is no contract on residential service, so that is not necessarily an advantage.
and It would be an advantage to have the service started at the final location so that the 30 money back guarantee and any promo pricing like free install apply there.

Anoo
@comcast.net

Anoo

Anon

They do have contracts.

Go to the site as a new customer.

They generally list a few plans in 2 options.

12 months big discount but 24 month contract
or 12 month little discount, no contract.

For me I see 3 plans that specifically say 24 month commitment required and these are the normal internet, tv and phone ones...

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

And as 99% of us have heard, there is no EFT on the residential contract, no penalty for ending it early, or changing services even getting a different promo.
The "contract"/agreement is purely a one sided service offer, unlike the business services or dish or fios etc.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to cheeseman

Premium Member

to cheeseman
said by cheeseman :

The process of activating a purchased modem: 1. plug it in 2. try to go to any website 3. enter your username and password on the modem activation page that appears. 4. reboot modem. There is no modem configuration required on the user side.

Comcast does not deny you support for having a purchased modem. They simply will not troubleshoot modem-specific issues.

Although my purchased modem does get the walled garden configuration file, I have never been able to self-activate. It always requires a call to CS.

So, the process is 1. plug it in 2. Call CS. 3. Navigate the menu 4. Recite the MAC and SN 5. Reboot the modem.

Anoo
@comcast.net

Anoo to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

And as 99% of us have heard, there is no EFT on the residential contract, no penalty for ending it early, or changing services even getting a different promo.
The "contract"/agreement is purely a one sided service offer, unlike the business services or dish or fios etc.

FWIW that's not accurate.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Bi ··· /1212655

Comcast employee stating they enforce them, further I have two different family members who've been recently hit with ETF. One was on double play and paid $75, another was on a triple play and was hit with $150.

Other providers paid them but it flat out depends on your plan and terms. Yes true most people have no contract, Comcast has plenty of plans that are so just have to be careful and not assume is all I am trying to say.

Here is Comcast employee stating the ETF amounts in December and how they pro-rate

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Bi ··· /1971057