uniqs

ot
@ccra-adrc.gc.ca

ot to Thane_Bitter

Anon

to Thane_Bitter

Re: Looking for small safe for home

said by Thane_Bitter:

another reason why these box store little safes are crap is the material used for the fire rating, its sort of a hydrated concrete (which accounts for most of the weight of the unit, the steel shell is very thin, almost like that of a can). As the name implies this stuff has water mixed in with it which will evaporate out of the material

This is pretty much how regular drywall reacts during a fire. The fire rated stuff contains components that expand when heated, to replace the water that evaporates and maintain the structural integrity of the drywall sheet.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Several people have said that with a hammer and cold chisel or with an acetylene torch, etc. these safes are very easily opened. In reality they certainly are is to open with tools but very few home burglars carry tools like this with them. They are more smash and grab oriented so they don't have the tools nor do they want to take the time needed to open are still a safe. Only a burglar knows what you have and wants to get to it will come with tools. Any safe they can't just pick up and run away with is good enough to prevent it from being taken during most routine burglaries.

That is a good point. Though a home burglar may check to see what tools are at the residence and use those. I have had that happen to some friends.

Our neighborhood we had some car prowls a few years back and I had some tools in the car and truck, which I forgot to lock. They took some of the tools but left ones that could be used as weapons. Chatting with the Officer who came out and he said if they had been caught with screwdrivers, sharpened wood chisels, other chisels and similar, they could have been charged with a more serious crime.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to bbq727

to bbq727
I would get two separate safes.

For a gun safe I would bolt a electronic digital keypad one to a wall (most of these have a key backup) and cut the wire to the keypad's beeper. You want to be able to silently open it with the keypad in the event you need to quietly get your gun. There are also some models that use your finger print.

For valuables, I would get a heavy thick floor safe bolted to the floor that uses a mechanical dial combination with no key backup. (most key locks are easily picked, having a key backup on any safe is a drastic drop in security level). If you're really paranoid get one with a glass re-locker.

Of course you could always just go big »www.harborfreight.com/ex ··· 824.html
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to bbq727

Premium Member

to bbq727
I have one, but all the way in Chicago.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member