spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net

Kingston Ultimate 120 download speed under 10Mbps every night.

The speed is fine during the day, usually around 80-90Mbps (not what advertised but acceptable). During the night (5pm-midnight) the speeds drop to under 10Mbps which is completely unacceptable when I'm paying for the "premium" internet package.
»www.speedtest.net/result/3428079859.png (day)
»www.speedtest.net/result/3424720415.png (night)
»www.speedtest.net/result/3427032921.png (night again)

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Loads of congestion all over, newer faster packages keep being rolled out to compete yet the networks aren't keeping up. With the ultimate 30 being bumped to 55mbps this month it'll only get worse.

Prime time congestion is all over the place and it's not going to get any better.

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net
Yea that's kind of my point, it's ridiculous. If they can't provide 120Mbps then I shouldn't be charged for it. With the speeds I'm getting I should be paying like $30 a month.

Keaters
Premium
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to UnhappyJason
How that looks my issue on the Ultimate 60 in Chatham...I have a tech booked to come out on Sunday EVE to look at my "Cogestion" issue since they said that the packet flow on my node is less than 50% during prime time hours....Gotta love that...cannot wait to see what the Techs say.

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net
I am strongly considering switching to Bell Fibe, my friend has it and gets consistent speeds over 50Mbps.
I might look into TekSavvy as well, but I heard they are a bit sketchy.

reboot

@cgocable.net
reply to UnhappyJason
Have you tried calling in?

What type of modem do you have?

It would take a lot to congest all 8 channels.

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net
Yes I have called in numerous times. Have the newest modem that is needed for Ultimate 120. Last month I was on Ultimate 30 and I called and complained because of the same situation so they gave me a deal and upgraded me to Ultimate 60 for 1yr at reduced cost (which I told them was a ripoff because I knew I was supposed to be getting upgraded to the new Ultimate 55) but anyways after going to Ultimate 60 the problem persisted and I called at least 4 times complaining and then upgraded to Ultimate 120 and the problem still persisted.

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net
I just called in and complained again tonight and they told me they are going to be adding a new node but it won't be completed until next October. So I told them it as unacceptable and I wanted a credit on my bill and they agreed to give me $20 off every month until it's fixed.
Honestly, that's still not acceptable and I might end up switching but it's better than nothing.

oogfunk

join:2014-03-30
Yeah its like that in a whole bunch of areas which explains why its going to take forever to get it fixed.... which sucks... I blame the company for not properly planning and expanding their network. Also Netflix doesn't help because of Netflix normal internet users have become power users due to streaming in HD all day everyday.... lol

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to UnhappyJason
Jason, where are you?

UnhappyJason

@cgocable.net
I'm in Kingston, Ontario.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to UnhappyJason

You would be better off choosing a plan with START or TekSavvy thru the same wire.

There will be better monthly usage caps, so you won't have to choose more speed to get the cap you want, as you may have had to do with GOUGEco..

UPLOADS will not be counted toward the cap like you have now, and DOWNLOADS from 2AM-8AM will not be counted either.

The problem you have may still happen, but you will be getting better value for whatever money you end up spending, such as on a 30Mbps plan for $50 and up per month, plus modem & tax.

--

My new mantra is 'MMM' (Move Mouse Minimally).

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications

micron06
Premium
join:2003-11-19
Kingston
reply to UnhappyJason
said by UnhappyJason :

I am strongly considering switching to Bell Fibe, my friend has it and gets consistent speeds over 50Mbps.
I might look into TekSavvy as well, but I heard they are a bit sketchy.

Last time I checked, our city doesn't even have Fibe What's even sad is that Bell has no interest to even deploy Fibe in new suburbs!

jimmyfogg

join:2010-12-30
Should be here in a year or two, they strung a new fibre line all along Hwy 15 this winter.

Keaters
Premium
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
It is good to hear that they stung a new fibre line for Kingston Hwy 15, but are the remotes built around the city in order to deploy the Fibe speeds....if not, it will be a while....Chatham has always had fibre trunks, but the remotes were never built....just found our first remote that is installed in Chatham that supports 50/10 speeds. Friend of mine just got installed with that through Teksavvy and is loving it!

tas

@cgocable.net
reply to UnhappyJason
Well, now I see that we're not the only ones in Kingston with this issue! We also have the Ultimate 120 and we are getting very inconsistent speeds even late at night. I got as little as 0.21 mbps download tonight, and a few minutes later, 58 mbps. We have always been pretty happy with Cogeco, but they will be receiving a call from us.

kingstoncabl

@cgocable.net
Same problem here in Kingston as well. Can't even stream a youtube video consistently at night, but very fast during the day.