dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ssjenforcer
join:2012-11-25

ssjenforcer

Will Start offer comparable 120Mbps/400GB packages?

For some time now I have had the "best" internet package with Start, which at the time I purchased it was 30Mbps with 400gb usage limit.
Since then there has been a 60Mbps package added, but with only 300gb limit, which is atrocious; and for a much higher price than I'm paying.

Will Start offer a 120Mbps package sometime this year?
preferably with a PRACTICAL usage limit, as Cogeco's highest two internet packages BOTH offer 425gb limits.

I have my account grandfathered at 400gb still but if I ever want a faster speed I will be forced to give that up unless Start offers a better usage limit.
Streaming is becoming the norm now and I can't do that, with roommates especially,
if Start doesn't offer something better.

PS.
I moved to Start FROM Cogeco to get a better usage limit at the time, and sacrificed 20Mbps (50--->30) of my download speed, and now Cogeco offers better for both.
I hate to regret my decision but if Start doesn't offer something better soon I might have to switch back.
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg

I asked the very same question not too long ago and am in the same boat. I am currently on the 30Mbps/400GB grandfathered package.

I think with Cogeco's exorbitant TPIA capacity rates, Start was forced to scale back the usage on its packages. I feel like for me, $60 for 30Mbps/400GB hits a sweet spot. If I really wanted 120, I'd switch back to Cogeco but I just can't justify a $35 increase in my internet bill for more speed but virtually the same usage.

Also keep in mind Cogeco's business packages have unlimited usage so if you want true unlimited, their starter package 16/2 @ $67 (no commitment) is not too bad. The higher end packages are grossly overpriced imo.
ssjenforcer

ssjenforcer

I understand but I want both a fast speed and my good usage limit.
I have a PS4 and If I ever want to be able to download digital games I need a better package from Start.
Right now the best speed I get on psn is literally half what my package allows.
jmarlatt2
join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

jmarlatt2

With the current ubb situation it is not feasible for any iisp to offer packages at the higher speeds with large caps for less than the incumbents can offer them.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
We do greatly appreciate the business and loyalty of all our customers.

At this time, there is no ETA on when we will offer more usage options on cCable connections or the addition of the new 120Mbps tier Cogeco is rolling out. But it is definitely something on our radar and that we're working on.

Current CBB costs towards our cCable vendor to pose a restriction on us but rocca along with CNOC are working on getting the situation improved.
ssjenforcer

ssjenforcer

OK thanks.
I just hope the usage caps go up as more people are streaming video content now, which makes it more strange that Starr opted to lower their caps in favour of unlimited time periods which don't benefit most people as an option.
profets
join:2010-01-14

profets to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
I'm currently on a grandfathered 60Mbps/350GB package and I've been nearing the 350GB limit the past few months. We recently cut the cord and almost all of our TV watching is from streaming (netflix, hob, hulu, espy, etc).

I'm currently at 170GB after 13 days this month. I'm sure the TV watching will slow down come summer, but I hope we see some sort of increase in the usage included as well.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to ssjenforcer

Premium Member

to ssjenforcer
said by ssjenforcer:

....Will Start offer a 120Mbps package sometime this year?

Preferably with a PRACTICAL usage limit, as Cogeco's highest two internet packages BOTH offer 425gb limits....

Remember that it would be harder for most folks to hit a 300GB cap at START than a 425 one at GOUGEco, as START's current plans do not count UPSTREAM traffic at all, and do not count 2AM-8AM downstream traffic.

marka
join:2010-03-10
Fergus, ON

marka to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
I'm also on the grandfathered 30Mbps with 400gb limit, and as of a modem reset today my speed is now 55 / 10 so if you want faster speed you could try restarting your modem. Cogeco changed their 30 Mbps plan to 55 Mbps.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

If ALL of Cogeco's 30Mbps TPIA profiles get auto-raised like this, then THAT could surely increase CBB demand/exposure (and ensuing costs) from an IISP to Cogeco !
ssjenforcer

ssjenforcer to marka

to marka
what do you mean a modem reset?
i have unplugged my modem dozens of times to reset it and it has never changed anything.
can you elaborate how you reset your modem?
ssjenforcer

ssjenforcer to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
unlimited downloading between those times doesnt really help most people.
i dont see how i can easily download stuff during those times unless i want to mess up my entire sleep schedule just to wake up early and start some downloads.
also even if i could set up some app to download automatically, that just means i would have to leave my computer on all night, wasting TONS of electricity and just making my power bill even higher.

and having a lower cap only hurts people who stream shows, especially in HD.
so these new plans really make no sense to me.

marka
join:2010-03-10
Fergus, ON

marka to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
I did the unplugging thing a few times as well with no results, then I pressed the reset button on the back of my Cisco DPC3000 and that did it. I also was testing connected directly to the modem as I wasn't getting the full speed with my router at first, had to change to a newer router.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
said by ssjenforcer:

what do you mean a modem reset?
i have unplugged my modem dozens of times to reset it and it has never changed anything.
can you elaborate how you reset your modem?

*** FACTORY RESETTING DOES MORE THAN JUST POWER-CYCLING ***

Please see Step # 1 in Start's Cable Troubleshooting FAQ...
»FAQ: Trouble-shooting (Cable)
ell
join:2006-12-30
Kingston, ON

ell to marka

to marka
I'm also on the grandfathered 30Mbps in Kingston

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Please don't get too used to that.

The grandfathered plans are currently getting the higher speed as an exception because they aren't fit into our regular profiling, however as we roll out the new packages they will be brought back into the parameters of the grandfathered package, and of course those users will have the option to change to a current package if it better suits them.
ell
join:2006-12-30
Kingston, ON

ell

said by rocca:

The grandfathered plans are currently getting the higher speed as an exception because they aren't fit into our regular profiling, however as we roll out the new packages they will be brought back into the parameters of the grandfathered package, and of course those users will have the option to change to a current package if it better suits them.

I'm happy at 30Mbps grandfathered for now. But it is a nice treat to see 56Mbps!
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg to ssjenforcer

to ssjenforcer
Power cycled the modem and voila:

Rocca, when will you pull the curtain back on these new packages you speak of?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

1 edit

rocca

Premium Member

edit: Sorry, misread the question. It'll probably take a 2-3 weeks to go through new costing analysis and see what we can come up with. We'll get there as quickly as we can.
ssjenforcer

ssjenforcer to docbg

to docbg
yes but what do you mean power cycle?
how do i do that on my modem?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

This is a more minor thing than performing a factory reset.

Doing a 'Power Cycle' means to just turn it off, wait a moment, and then turn it back on.

If there is no switch, then unplug the power pack from the modem (or router, if f that is the device in question), wait, then plug it back in.

Then, in either case, wait for the unit to settle back in.