spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alkajak

join:2014-04-09
Thornhill, ON

Any decent packages that aren't on the site?

Rogers gives you 275+ channels with 55+ HD channels including Food Network, AMC, bravo, etc for $60.29 (further discounted in package deals with internet and phone).

I am by no means a fan of Rogers, I've been with Bell for the past 8 years and I'm looking to switch, but Shaw is looking a lot like $80+ for a similar package. Am I missing something?

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
I use Shaw's Personal TV + Best of HD which costs me $60/month and gets me most of the HD channels Shaw offers (exluding the premium channels and a few others). I think the costs for a new customer would be 75.

I don't know how much SD comes with that because SD channels are pointless and useless

IF rogers does offer what you state, then that seems like a much better deal than what we get in the West.

join:2014-04-08
whaattt, you g et it for $60/month?

i am currently on a promo where i get peronal TV + $30 in packes (3 $10 theme packs)

the promo was 100% free for 6 months

because bb100 = 90+ tax. promo was 94.90+ tax for tv and home phone with 500 LD minutes.

but shaw credited me $30 in the beginning for $5 extra/m and $30 for using my on phone (apparently there suppose to give you one so they can credit you if they don't)

so i basically got paid $5/m to take free shaw tv and phone. pretty good.

they also gave me free pvr rental (3510-M) for life. so even when my promo is up and my plan goes back to $70/m my pvr is free, but if i cancel and come back its $15 a month.

to bad i think im switching to telus at the end of the month and then i will cancel my shaw once the promo is over june 9

lol personal tv+ best of hd + hd pvr = $90/m, holy shit, i dont even know if id wanna pay 75. and only way i could do that is if i keep my pvr and dont switch to telus at all.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Alkajak
Personally, I don't care if there are 275 channels... How many of them do you actually watch? I'm guessing they also include the music stations as a channel?

I think Rogers has a lot more channels (local and far radio)? Shaw only has the Galaxie music...

Otherwise, I have Basic and HD Plus, which I am mostly happy with (there are 2 channels that I want, that are stupid expensive to get).

But I'm happy with the channels, I have no idea what SD stations are included...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Alkajak
Best of HD was originally $20/month when it came out. It's $35 for current customers but still grandfathered at $20 for anyone that's ordered it before it went up in price.

I get bb50+Personal TV for 114.90/month. Best of HD is an extra 20.

I know the internet portion makes up 75 of that bundle, so cable is 39.90 plus 20 is 59.90 for the cable portion (including best of hd).

I also agree with the other poster. Who needs 275 channels. I never watch the SD ones, and the 50ish HD channels I get is more than enough for me.

interesting, bb50 is actually $80 now tho so either ur bill went up or ur only paying $35 for personal tv ($5 less then current price) and your paying $20 for best of hd ($15 less then current price)

so your basically saving $20 a month on tv and paying full price for internet, not to bad, but could be better.

what is your situation with boxes, how many do u have, HD boxes, HDPVRS?, SD boxes?, Gateway? how much extra per month if any.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
If you own the hardware, no extra cost per month, unless you are getting more than 4, the Gateway counts as one, no matter the number of Portals.
--

so then what cost does apply if you get more than 4 but you own then? shaw charges you per box just to have more then 4?

Zac
Premium
join:2001-09-12
Calgary, AB
Nope, You can have 12 cable boxes on your account and the bill stays the same (so long as you own that hardware).

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to 20424689
Like $5/month or something

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Alkajak
From what I read on the digitalhome forum it was the TV portion of the bill that got raised a few months ago, so technically it's the internet that I currently have discounted by $5. It's moot though, and I pay $20 less than a new customer, but it's still getting very expensive.

As for equipment. I started out with one of the first HD boxes (a Motorola 6416 I think it was). I must of paid 300 or 400 for it. When NHL Centre Ice moved to mpeg4 and needed new equipment, Shaw upgraded the box for free to a DXC3400 for me. They did that for NFL customers that year too, but they've never done it it again, the free upgrades only happened the first year that the sports packaged went to mpeg4.

On top of the Motorola DCX3400 I bought a DCX3200 for the bedroom TV. Similar box but no PVR in it.

From what I hear these Motorola boxes are some of the best HD boxes shaw has issued. The new motorola boxes aren't as good, and the gateways have extra features (like a networked dvr) but aren't as good?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
I started with an Aspen PVR, Shaw exchanged it for a DCX3400, Got a Gateway system last January, no issues, really like it.

DCX3400 did MythTV for awhile, now connected to a Slingbox

The new boxes running Shaw's software are crap, DCX3510 and the newer DCX3200...

I have no issues recomending a Gateway system, especially when they are on sale
--

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to Alkajak
Got a phone call from shaw. I can keep the 100Mbps and they will add TV+Phone and the promo is I pay $5 a month for 6 months for all 3 in combo + the HDPVR box +best of HD. It was $94.95 or something. Then the rate goes back up to $170 something, but the guy said he can work out something after 6 months again.

I wonder why they are willing to offer this.

I said no, and I will call back if I am interested. I am not interested to go for traditional TV again, after I got my Google TV box.

Edit: it seems like its the same promo they offered others. I wont switch to Telus since they cant match that 100Mbps. Nothing is making me change my phone service unless they can match the rates for voip.ms (and no - dont complain of quality - the quality is stellar!! + the amount of features they give me is amazing - no nickel and diming for things like call forwards or voicemail --> email etc.)

The TV is.. well the problem isnt their package - the problem is that there is nothing to watch!!

xtachx thats the exact promo i got, but when they called me they told me it was free so i made them give me a $30 credit to make up for the $5 extra/m. then after i got it all installed i asked was i suppose to get a free phone cause i didnt? then they said ya u were so we will credit you another $30.

another thing. if you sign up for the deal, make sure u get them to install it after your new month starts (my montly plan starts on the 9th) i had it installed on the 15th of november and because my monthly plan starts on the 9th my 6 months didnt start till december 9. ends june 9. and it does not look like i will be keeping shaw tv any longer then this. i will consider keeping the home phone if they can do it for 15/m

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to xtachx
Looking at Teksavvy... Whomever can get me 10 upload first...

2x25/5 is getting closer (then upgrade to 2x50/10 when they get that figured out)
--

ya or if shaw would bump there damn 100/10 out or 250/15 then you could get 2X100/10 or 2X250/15

then again for 2X250/15 to actually give you full speed on downstream would require 16 channels on node or DOCSIS 3.1

both of which shaw will probably eventually use in the future

but of course if you did need 2X250/15 it would probably only be for the upload

personally im crossing my fingers for shaw to rollout 12 bonded channels everywhere along with modems to support it and start offering 250 to everyone. hopefully at the same time they do appropriate node splits to avoid peak hour congestion.

hoping this doesnt take more then 2 years. praying 12 channel modems become available in the next 12 months

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Alkajak
lol... I think I would rather see cap bumps, that speed upgrades. Speed upgrades don't do a lot for me unless cap's go up.

To be fair I've been on bb50 for nearly 3 years and I probably average 500 to 700gigs/month. Shaw hasn't said anything about going over.

I have a hard enough time keeping my consumption low on a 50mbps plan. I would much rather have larger caps over faster speeds.

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by zod5000:

lol... I think I would rather see cap bumps, that speed upgrades. Speed upgrades don't do a lot for me unless cap's go up.

To be fair I've been on bb50 for nearly 3 years and I probably average 500 to 700gigs/month. Shaw hasn't said anything about going over.

I have a hard enough time keeping my consumption low on a 50mbps plan. I would much rather have larger caps over faster speeds.

Um, dont talk about caps unless they charge you for it. .
--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

lol. shaws caps are fine. the upload speed is much more the problem.

look at any other ISP's caps. shaw are almost always just as good or better.

complaining about caps is illogical, complaining about low upload speeds makes sense......

just because you want an increased cap (when it doesnt even matter) doesnt mean other people want there cap increased for no reason. i also always go over. but i dont care. bb100+ is 5$ more and gives me 250gb more IF i ever needed it.

if everyone has bigger caps and used them that would mean congestion. if shaw bumped upload speeds. that would do almost nothing to congestion.

also you said speed upgrades dont do alot unles caps go up. that makes like 0 sense to me. your gonna upload more? because your upload speed goes up? theres no logic in that. your saying JUST because you get more speed you plan on using more bandwidth? wtf