Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to JohnShade

Premium Member

to JohnShade

Re: [Price] Re: A little OUTRAGED !

said by JohnShade:

As a CSR, I cannot add a comcast device to the inventory system, that's already done by warehouse. The problem is when you purchase your own modem. How is it going to end up in the inventory system? It has to be added.
As the most common method that customers use to communicate with us is by phone, it falls to the CSR's to make sure that it is entered correctly. If it is added to the system as "leased" then that is how the system puts it into the inventory system.

Do you really not see the inconsistency in the above two statements?

You can not add a leased Comcast device to the inventory, but you can add a customer owned device as a leased Comcast device?

Tell me again how this is not a deliberate scheme by Comcast to steal customer owned equipment; there is no other explanation for the scenario wherein you can not add a Comcast owned device to Comcast's inventory (because that is automated), but you can a customer owned device to Comcast's inventory. What other reason could there possibly be for adding a customer owned piece of equipment to Comcast's inventory?
JohnShade
join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

JohnShade

When the systems were originally designed, cable modems were only available from cable companies. The most common form of Internet access, at the time, was dial up. That is why the systems were not designed as Dark Logix suggested.
It was only later, as cable access to the Internet became more common, that cable companies started allowing customer owned equipment - cable modems- on the network there is no inconsistency.
The original systems were designed based on the assumption that the only modems in inventory would be company owned leased units that would be added by the warehouse group since those were the people who would be actually receiving the units direct from the factory.
Once customers were allowed to add their purchased modems, it was easier and cheaper to add a process allowing people other than warehouse to add the unit into inventory.
It is not a "deliberate scheme" It is simple human error compounded by people not actually understanding how and why the systems work that way.
When I add a modem, there is a field labeled "type" which has two choices, "Leased" or "Owned", in the drop down. As the majority of modems are added by warehouse, the top choice is "leased". If a CSR just clicks through, it will show as "leased" not "owned"
That's why I ALWAYS put the note I referenced on a customer's account. Permanent notes cannot be removed or altered. They can only be archived from an inactive account.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

And that's a problem systems need to be kept up to date with reality.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to JohnShade

Premium Member

to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

It is not a "deliberate scheme" It is simple human error compounded by people not actually understanding how and why the systems work that way.
When I add a modem, there is a field labeled "type" which has two choices, "Leased" or "Owned"

It is a deliberate scheme by Comcast management to ensure that Comcast profits from the inevitable human error (and laziness...since you say that the default value is "Leased") of their CSRs. A company that put its customers first (instead of considering them to be adversaries) would make declaring that a modem belongs to the company during the modem registration/activation process something other than the default process (and would require a validation from Comcast's actual inventory records before it would be allowed to happen). It is not a coincidence that Comcast finds itself on the most hated company list.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

And that's a problem systems need to be kept up to date with reality.

But that takes research, development, and money which is less bonus money for the CxO's. That is reality.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to JohnShade

to JohnShade
said by JohnShade:

When the systems were originally designed, cable modems were only available from cable companies. The most common form of Internet access, at the time, was dial up. That is why the systems were not designed as Dark Logix suggested.

Sounds like the system needs an updated design, then